Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying stuff advice

Alright dudes... I need your advice.
    Right now, I'm good for guitars (SG, Strat, Blueshawk, old thing) but my amp situation is less good. Not horrible mind you, but not up to par with the axes. I'm playing through a Fender SS 65 Watt 1x12 combo. I have been looking into a Mesa Quad/Mesa 50:50 deal (like... $900-1000, plus cab), but I've been having some second thoughts about it lately. See, I'm leaving for college in less than 2 months, and I don't think I'll really be able to utilize the wicked tube setup's full potential, so I'm wondering if maybe I would be better off now, buying one of the rackmount POD's (less money) (that I could slap into the rack when I do get around to getting the other rack stuff) and since I wasn't buying everything else, I could afford some new pickups for a couple guitars. I could run the pod either through the Fender, or a stereo amp I have that sports a pair of 1/4 inch ins. I think that it would also be good for any recording I'd do while at school, since I'll be able to run it quietly.

What do you think?

Re: Buying stuff advice

I agree with you. A couple of things; first, unless you're headed for music school, you're not going to have as much time to play as you think. More studying is required in college and let's be honest here, you should participate in as much college life as you can without sacrificing your grades. It's as much a social experience as it is an academic one and you only go once. Playing is great and you'll have some time to do it, but it will also be waiting for you on the other side of school. If you're going to music school, get the amp, you'll get a lot of use out of it. If not , buy the POD, save the rest of the money for at least a year (eating is good and unexpected expenses come up all the time). After a year, if you're not in a financial bind and you still really want it, you can still buy it. That's my opinion for what it is worth.

Comment

Re: Buying stuff advice

I lived in a cool dorm and my roommate is a bassist (however, we weren't music majors). We used to jam out all the time, and I fully utilized all 80 tube watts there without getting written up

It's all up to what you feel comfortable sharing with your roommate. I happened to be in a perfect situation, but the person you may be sharing your next 5-9 months may not be.

College is all about experiences. It is possible to balance everything, it just takes a bit of time. That means, study hard and get it out of the way. Make plans with people and if your plans fall through or you don't feel up to partying (trust me, it gets old REAL fast), music is a major relief. Just some food for thought. You will find during the day that if you treat college like you were at high school, you'll have your work done in no time... and that means much more down time. It took me a little while to figure that out (if I had an hour and a half between classes, I'd take a nap or something ). Later on, I used that hour for getting homework and studying done.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
      X