Marshall MF350 V's JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MF350 V's JCM800

Ok, I expect there are a few of you out there with a lovely 800, but does anyone have the Mode Four? How does it compare to the 800 and which would you buy given the choice?

The MF350 head is going for around £550-£600 currently and the JCM800's are hitting around the same price for a 50 watt head.

I was wondering about the 'hybrid technology' in the MF350, it says it's actually two separate amps, but are they really and is that a good thing?

Marshall MF350

Re: Marshall MF350 V's JCM800

Jcm > Mf.

Comment

I haven't actually played a Mode Four, but I've played a lot of other Marshalls including JCM800s.

My understanding, based on what I've read about the Mode Four, is that it is a versatile amp with a lot of options for switching between clean, crunch and higher gain tones. To vintage enthusiasts it may lack authenticity, but I'll bet it's a pretty good amp for any season. But if you're looking for that kind of versatility why limit yourself to Marshall? There are other options around, modelling amps like Line 6 for example.

By comparison, the older "classic" Marshall models are more of a one trick pony, but it is a VERY GOOD trick. Set up correctly they'll give you those classic tones like nothing else. The one trick thing doesn't mean they're not versatile - with the right guitar, pickups, technique etc. you can squeeze pretty much anything out of a classic valve amp, but it won't all be laid out at your feet on footswitches.

I'd say it depends on what you want to play. For classic / hard / bluesy rock a JCM800 will always deliver the goods. If you want more extreme gain and purer cleans too, something more configurable and switchable like the MF might suit you better.

Comment

I think the Mode Four is a decent amp, but nothing spectacular. It does what it was set out to do... provide decent cleans, good crunch tones, and decent high gain tones.

Since they aren't that popular, I've found them at drastically reduced prices, so maybe you can find one for around $700 in which it might be worth it (my Guitar Center always had high prices, and they listed it as $1000).

Don't expect holy grail tones and you'll be ok.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

If you don't get the JCM800 you'll wish you did, that's all I'll say...
          'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

I've played the Mode Four, because I was very curious about it's obvious Nu Metal leanings ...

I found it to sound like a big Valvestate!!

IMO, the JCM800 buries it and dances on its grave!!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan
              Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
              IMO, the JCM800 buries it and dances on its grave!!
              Thanks guys, that's all I needed to hear

Comment

mode four isnt bad at all. jcm 800's less versitile i suppose, but what it does, it does so much better.

put a nice stomp box in front of it and you'll get all the gain and tone you'll need
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan
                  Yes sir...

The MF is definetely not a GREAT amplifier, and nothing that you will be proud of when you drop huge bucks on it. It's clean channel is good, nothing above decent. The crunch channel is also at par for a highly priced amplifier. However, the lead channel is where the amp totally misses fire. It's loose and unfocused with the tendency to 'fart' out the lows like you've never witnessed even in your worst nightmares of a 50W Crate at gig levels. Can you say, "Ouch!"? Steer clear of the MF.

Comment

ive been playing 800's since for 10 years. i dont like anything marshall has made since as much, the m4 is no exception. i like the dsl 50 best of the current models.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                      ive been playing 800's since for 10 years. i dont like anything marshall has made since as much, the m4 is no exception. i like the dsl 50 best of the current models.
                      Yeh DSL 50s great..ive also played the M4 and its very unimpressive..nice cleans but thats about it..
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                      X