Bass - P versus Musicman Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass - P versus Musicman Pickups

For a rock band, which of the two types of pickups would be best?

I like the bass tone to cut through, but be very defined (not fuzzy at all), fat and precise.

Which would be better for my needs?
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: Bass - P versus Musicman Pickups

I'd personally argue that the musicman sound is just a variation of the p bass sound. I've played both, and never had a problem with a lack of definition.

As for which would be better for your needs, IMO, is entirly up to you. To my ears, MM pups sound more punchy, and since they *usually* have active EQ, are a little more tonally versitile. However, with pretty much any active system, you can tweak your sound to get what you're looking for. However p bass pups, especially hot and QP don't get fuzzy, and have no problems cutting through the mix. Really what it comes down to is how do you want your bass to sound in the mix? how do you play? (finger style, pick, slap/pop) try out both, and go with what sounds the best for your needs.
    Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

The MM does give you more (tonal) variation than the Precisions but that is not suprising that they are active.

Depends on your bass rig but if you want pure rock/blues sound then it is hard to go against the Precision because it does have that extra low grunt which the MM does lack - this is something that I find when I use my Precisions (I will turn to them if I am doing any rock/blues gigs because I know what they will give me). I have found that Precisions are just that bit fatter and may just lose out to the MM in definition but it is very close.
      Normans Guitars

Comment

I've had a P-bass,and now have a MM. I think that the MM is much more of a "bassist's bass". You cut through much more in the mix. It has some advantages if you like playing a very active style (walking basslines, or slap), but will also take away from the rest of the band. So if you like to play like Flea and your band doesn't have three guitarists fighting for the same frequencies as your slapping top end, I'd say go that way. If you have a more traditional thumpa thumpa thumpa style of bass playing or there isn't room in the mix for your tone, stay with a P-bass. It's warmer in general (the pickup is located farther from the bridge) than the MM. On a side note, the MM's neck is IMHO far superior to the P-bass. Unfinished (well wax/oil finished) feels sooooooo nice
        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I'm the kinda person that loves it when the bass does all kinds of funky riffs and is a really essential part of the music. Thus, Flea is my hero.

Just a question... does a p pickup work with the eq system that is sold with the musicman pups?
          There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Any bass pickup will work with a preamp. Extreme output passive pickups like the QP will probably distort the preamp, so the volume has to be way down on the bass. EMG makes P-pickups specifically designed for active preamps.

There's absolutely no reason a P-bass can't be an active bassists' bass.... that's what I use. It just fills a slightly different range. Where the MM has that clanky, cutting sound, the P-bass will have a thicker, thumpy sound.

Comment

can't comment on tone because i tested each through different rigs but the MM feels a lot better to play.

could you not have both in one guitar? the MM is at the bridge and the P bass pup is nearer the middle, so would it not work out?
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid
              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Actually when both pickups are in their "sweet spots," there's something like 1/4" to 1/2" of overlap.

Comment

ah well, it was just an idea
                  My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                  How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321
                    I'm the kinda person that loves it when the bass does all kinds of funky riffs and is a really essential part of the music. Thus, Flea is my hero.

Just a question... does a p pickup work with the eq system that is sold with the musicman pups?
                    I'm not sure but I doubt it. The MM system is active all the way through, and I don't know that how well it would work with a p-pickup. But i have heard several p-basses that had active preamp/eq's and they sounded great.
                    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

You could always try the MM pup in the bridge, and go with say, a single coil p bass pup (i'd use a stack, so i don't get hum, but that's me).
                      Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                        could you not have both in one guitar? the MM is at the bridge and the P bass pup is nearer the middle, so would it not work out?
                        I have a great bass with a SD MM pickupup in the bridge and a SJB Jazz in the neck position. Only reason I didn't go for a P-bass pup - it's a 5-string! Both pickups are passive but I have a STC tone circuit in there, gives me 3 bands of EQ, blend and volume, and a slap switch.

I find worrying about the sweet spot isn't so important in a 2-pickup bass, unless you tend to use either pickup at 100% and the other at 0. By moving my blend to about 80/20 either direction I get amazing tones. It's also possible to play with your blend pot so it doesn't go 100/0 in either direction- 2 resistors will do the trick.
                        Go to my website below, check out custom instruments/Artemis bass to see my baby. Questions/comments welcome
                        Nick Hayball
                        Chief electrician and bass expert
                        Scorpion Guitars
                        www.scorpionguitars.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                          That's precisely what I have. Although I have the MusicMan passive, and wired in series; a push-pull converts it to the more typical parallel mode, but I never use it. Both puckups are fat and aggressive, so it's just a matter of which tone is appropriate for which song (or part of a song, since I have a 3-way selector switch as well).

By the way, the passive MM still has a slightly higher output than the P, so I doubt the P-bass pickup would overload the preamp....
                          Let's go where the raptor goes....

Comment

I'm voting for P-bass, but i like the MM better
                            100% Bass player

Comment

Working...
                            X