banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS 1960A cab - one input isn't working!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS 1960A cab - one input isn't working!!

The 16Ohm Input of my Marshall 1960A isn't working anymore. I plugged in the amp but nothing comes. Luckily I had the volume low and put back the amp to standby fast. I don't wanna test how long it takes till an amp without proper load get damaged.
    I checked everything and I found out it's the 16 ohm input. The 4 Ohm is still working. With 4 ohms everything was running fine.

What could it be. The jack?
    What should I check? How is it wired?
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

you will probaly just have to replace that whole jack plate. I've had to replace mine twice over the years.

You can probably just pick up a new part at a repair shop and put it in yourself. I think most of those cabs have the connectors that just "plug" in...no soddering necessary.
    thereveling.com

Comment

Unfortunately, Marshall uses those sealed, plastic barrel jacks.

What I'd do is take the back plate off, and inspect the metal clip that's attached to that jack. Sometimes, they get misaligned
      and don't make a connection to your cord. Tweak it just right, and it should be fine. If that's not it, see if any lead came undone from the jack. If that's not it, check the switch that switches from 4 to 16 to make sure it's not shorted out.

It should be fairly simple. If that jack is actually broken beyond repair, there's a few Marshall parts distributors or repair stations
      that carry plenty of them for around $5. You shouldn't have to replace that entire assembly.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

mouser carries neutrik jacks that should work perfectly. they are 65 cents each or so.

germ
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

does the jacks have a switch or how is it wired?
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

yes, they are switched. it depends on how you wire them.

germ

NYS 212/2 is what yer looking for. mono switching jack.
            Jeremy Ledford
            Tone Guru Extroardinaire
            Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
            X