esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I'm gonna cry elephant tears if I'm ever financially forced to
      sell my Matchless Chieftain 2-12. It's a mint 97 Sampson era
      in black/grey cloth/white knobs. It looks Soooo beautiful in the dark, since the logo AND all the writing on the chassis lights up.
      Turn it on, and the logo lights up. Turn off standby, and the writing lights up. I like it better than the Matchless DC-30, since the DC-30 is an EL-84 Vox tone, and the Chieftain is a EL-34
      RCA Bassman pre into a Marshall Plexi type tone.
      Honestly, I wish I had the head on a 2-12 closed back, instead
      of the 2-12 open back combo. I may buy a head cab for it.

Strats? Forget about it! HUUUUUUUGE FAAAAT Clean tone
      that practically dwarfs any other clean amp.

Les Paul? It's a sound that fills a room. You'll never forget that sound! It's like a sweet plexi with Vox-like chime and a breakup point that can be dialed perfectly, since it's a master volume amp.
      Another aspect that makes me love it more than the DC-30 is
      the gorgeous tube driven reverb. The Chieftain is not an amp
      I gig with, since it's not versatile enough for me, but it's more like
      a special bottle of wine you crack open when a 6 pack just won't do. I'm not sure if I'd get it in a 1-12 version. Either 2-12
      or head/cab is my preference. I recently tried the Phoenix 35
      2-12 combo. Sounded great, but I didn't like the red lights and still think the Badcat Hotcat is better. All great, tho.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Well, I've just cancelled my custom order and Al is refunding my money. He's had all sorts of delays, I put my order in 15 weeks ago, and he was supposed to have it to me in 6-10.

So, I'm now amp shopping again.

I've not tried the Hot Cat. I've not tried the DC30, nor that many other high dollar boutique amps.

I have tried that hand wired Vox, but I refuse to pay $3300 new for one. If a used one came along, then maybe. I thought the Vox sounded great.

I thought the Chieftain just blew my dale in the dirt.

I'm going to seek out a Bad Cat for comparison's sake.

any thing else I'm missing?

How about the Dumble clones like the Fuchs?

Not tried the Bruno's either, but I would have to fly to NYC to try one of those!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I really like the Chieftain. It's definitely my favorite Matchless,
          especially because of the reverb and wide, wide tone.

If you're amp shopping, since that fly by nighter couldn't deliver,
          I'd look into the Badcat Hotcat 30 head. It's a classic IMO.
          For a Class A amp, I was surprised how tight and fat the low end was. Also, the gain is really something to behold on those amps.
          It's like Billy Gibbons best tone - in stereo!

I'm not a huge fan of those Dumble clones like Fuch's. They
          sound real hi-fi and "fusiony" Guy's like Carlton would dig'em
          but I'm not a fan of the compressed fusion tone.

Comment

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH......STOP TALKING ABOUT MATCHLESS AMPS AT THIS VERY SECOND !!!

...or at least until I change my drawers!

Those amps sound SO FRIGGIN SWEET....Scott, check out a band (that is no longer!) called The Refreshments...either "Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy" or "The Bottle & Fresh Horses"...the guy, Brian Blush, played a '57 LP Goldtop(with Duncans!) thru a Matchless, not sure which...but GOD D@MN, that IS THE TONE which I seek.

And Joe....did you really have to mention the "glow-in-the-dark" feature??? I almost popped at that very moment!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 03-23-2004, 08:57 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

If you can get a Matchless buy a Matchless there really isn't a whole lot more to say. I would recommend checking out the Gibson Goldtone 30wt., quite a nice amp. The Orange stuff is really nice too but not on the level of Matchless, not much is IMO.(well I guess the BadCat stuff)

Jimmie Vaughan uses a pair of Matchless rigs and the "glow" makes the stage come alive not to mention that they sound like a million dollars.
              Last edited by Wattage; 03-23-2004, 10:30 AM.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Gear Ho,

Please do not refer to Al Nelson at Judybox as a fly by nighter. He sincerely means well, he had some health issues that have knocked him back a few months. He didn't have to give me my money back technically. We never really signed anything. He is doing the right thing by me and I respect him. If I had another month or two of patience, I'd be letting him finiish, but I'm just losing patience.

There are a few older Matchless Chieftains out there on the net I'm looking at.

I've not tried th Hot Cat, but there is a new Hot Cat Reverb out now which would be my choice. I'm going to be in So, Cal next week, so I"ll likely put off any decision until then.

Thanks for the advice guys.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

FWIW,
                  I know that Robert Cray was using a Chieftain head & cab, along with a '59 Bassman, although I haven't seen him live in a while.

My former amp tech is Tracy Sands. He's worked for MusicMan, Rickenbacker, and worked with Bad Cat when they started, until he relocated to Las Vegas. He spoke highly of that company.

Scott, maybe you can shedule a factory visit?

I don't know exactly where you'll be, but Tone Merchants has a pretty decent selection of Bad Cats:

Tone Merchants

if you're interested, you should email him, since he's "by appointment only", except for Saturdays.
                  Last edited by Curly; 03-23-2004, 11:17 AM.
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

I didn't really mean to knock Al at Judybox, but your scenario is familiar. It's really difficult for those amp genious's to labor over
                    hundreds of amps, AND run it like a business. Most boutiques that fail, fail for that reason. It's too bad, too, because those are the guys that keep the "tube amp" spirit alive. I can only imagine that the health problems are due to leaning over chassis'
                    all day, with solder smoke blowing into their face. Tough business.

Scott. If you come to Southern Ca., you'd be welcome to come by
                    the Sherman Oaks/North Hollywood area and have a beer at my rehearsal studio. I could line up some amps and have a blast.

Comment

Hey Scott,
                      Take a look at Carr amps. I have a friend that has one who was a avid Marshall/mathless guy. He does not gig with it, nut use it to record with. I think the one he has is 15 watts or 30 I don't remember. Price, but real sweet!!!!
                      Last edited by Bludave; 03-23-2004, 04:55 PM.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Sott, check out these amps as well. I have a friend who has the hammerhead. It is truly amazing!!!! www.carramps.com/
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Okay, Gear Ho, what about next week? I'll be in the LA area. Let's do it man.

I will definitely take you up on it. Any other LA folks out there?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Hey Scott....do me a favor. If you visit Joe, when his back is turned, smack him over the head with something.....I'll take the Matchless & you can have the pick of the litter.........COOL?????

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                              Okay, Gear Ho, what about next week? I'll be in the LA area. Let's do it man.

I will definitely take you up on it. Any other LA folks out there?
                              I might consider the "guitar switcher" job.
                              "music heals"
                              facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X