X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left_Hand_Strat
    replied
    Re: LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

okies one at a time then. got the resistors and got the wrong one, Needed a 150K one not 100k, FAIL.... **** sake...

Leave a comment:

• LoFiBrian
    replied

my only issues with the ds-1 are the tonestack sucks and the volume never reaches unity with p-90s.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    Start with just changing the two resistors. One mode at a time. Hear what it sounds like. You may like it just like that. If not, then go down that path of swapping the diodes.
    Couldn't agree more. The first pedal I modded, I failed to do this, and about six mods in, I realized that when I turned it on, I shorted the signal to ground. Even though the pedal still turned on, no sound went through it. Make sure to try each one, even though it's a royal pain.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSteve
    replied

And don't forget a spool of desoldering braid. Keeps the area nice and clean.

Also the 1/4 watt resistors are the ones to get. Whatever's available - metal film or carbon comp.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied

Start with just changing the two resistors. One mod at a time. Hear what it sounds like. You may like it just like that. If not, then go down that path of swapping the diodes.
    Last edited by ErikH; 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Left_Hand_Strat
    replied

sorry but BUMP.

I need to know as I am getting the parts in the morning, It's 3am here and Im late going sleep but first thing I get up im getting the bits.

Leave a comment:

• Left_Hand_Strat
    replied

Should I get High quality parts for this fat mod for R6 and R9 or standard parts?

Also I wish to try the LED mod in conjunction with the above, just to see how it works, what LED's do I need, voltage, etc.

also if that doesn't work, I would like to fit some funky lights to the pedal which just run off the power circuit just for the coolness and effect with a new paint job

Leave a comment:

• Left_Hand_Strat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSteve
    replied

I got a chance to use the pedal through the amp at loud volume and I'm impressed. I may not even need to change the R6 value. Just the gain drop alone was worth it. Made it a very useable pedal.

I was using the pedal through the clean channel of my Stiletto Ace with the Dist. knob at about 2:00 - something I wouldn't even dream of before.

Heck, I was thinking a person make some extra dough by advertising the mod service for say, $10 on craigslist and perform it while the customer waits. Easy money!

Leave a comment:

• Surgeon
    replied

John Spina (stratdeluxer97) modded mine and it sounds very very good. Maybe if you PM'd him and asked nicely he'd tell you what he did to it...

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied

if you want there are a lot of sellers on the web, here an example:

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSteve
    replied

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
    120K or a 180K work quite similar to a 150K, the bias should not shift that much
    I think all they had were 100k and 220k.

After I got home and browsed around, I saw online that they have a 500 pc. resistor assortment for $12.99. I think I'll just grab one of those and then I'll have on hand what I need in the future.

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied

Originally posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    and of course they didn't have the 150k resistor
    120K or a 180K work quite similar to a 150K, the bias should not shift that much

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSteve
    replied

Cool thread. I ran over to Radio Shack for the two resistors mod and of course they didn't have the 150k resistor. I only got to play at low volume, but the difference in the amount of gain is dramatic - in a good way.

Will report back later if I get a chance to crank it today.
    Last edited by SoCalSteve; 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
    Replacing the clipping diodes with LEDs or one LED and the two diodes in series will decrease the gain and should give a little more range. Mainly it will add way more dynamics range. You can also do the resistor mod to get less clipping early on.
    the '2 resistors' mod combined with the LED mod can induce a decrease in the gain level significative, my advice is to do one mod only at once, then decide if you want to go further

Leave a comment:

Working...
X