LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

setting up a thread for this, so anything I ask will be asked here, so all correspondence can be put all in one place.

Basically I have now definitely decided on modding my DS-1.

What I could do is with a mod that get's rid of the fizzy sounds and also lower the gain output, thus giving me more headroom (I think that's the word?). I also need a mod to give me a better EQ of the pedal without adding another pot to the circuit. Upgrading the parts inside to high quality diodes etc in the pedal will be good too (HiFi mod)

sounds demanding but I have summed this up from the research I am doing and so far that is what I want to aim for. Despite my limited electrical Knowledge I have enough to carry out the work and then reverse it to stock again should I ever want to.
    Last edited by Left_Hand_Strat; 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM. Reason: added stuff...
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Re: LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Step 1: Sell DS 1
    Step 2: Buy nicer distortion

this may seem like a stupid remark to make but the ds 1 to me at least, is just not a great pedal. Never was loud enough, and always too fizzy. Sell it and get something you know you will like, no mods required.
    i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

I have the perfect mod. You change 2 resistors.

The problem with the DS-1 is the input gain stage has too much gain so the signal is already clipped before it event gets to the clipping part of the circuit. This is what makes it harsh. This mod is by Jack Orman (very well respected in the DIY communuity) and I have done it myelf with really nice results.

Changing out parts won't do a whole lot, but changing these two resistors in the input gain stage will.

Check it out......http://www.muzique.com/news/fat-mod-for-the-boss-ds-1/

You will want the DS-1 PCB layout to you can find R6 and R9 easier.

Comment

I would say, I like the idea Erik is proposing. I would change the clipping diodes as well. I like different colored ones, to give an asymmetrical clip. I like what it does.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

The problem with the DS-1 is the input gain stage has too much gain so the signal is already clipped before it event gets to the clipping part of the circuit. This is what makes it harsh. This mod is by Jack Orman (very well respected in the DIY communuity) and I have done it myelf with really nice results.

Changing out parts won't do a whole lot, but changing these two resistors in the input gain stage will.

Check it out......http://www.muzique.com/news/fat-mod-for-the-boss-ds-1/

You will want the DS-1 PCB layout to you can find R6 and R9 easier.
          I think I will go with this, easy little mod to begin with.

Bck to this again. Should I get High quality parts for this or just standard stuff?
          Last edited by Left_Hand_Strat; 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM.
          Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
            I would say, I like the idea Erik is proposing. I would change the clipping diodes as well. I like different colored ones, to give an asymmetrical clip. I like what it does.
            Explain in more detail

Which numbers are you talking about?

also would anyone recommend the HiFi mod or not?
            Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              as I said before Jack Orman's is the best DS1 mod around

Comment

anyone got a decent and clear DS-1 PCB layout?
                Ich bin mein führer

Comment

PM me your email and I will send you the official layout. It'll be later today when I can send it.

Comment

Great thread idea! I'm always surfing for a cheap DS-1 for exactly this purpose....
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There's an article by Brian Wampler with some info here. Shows 4 different mods you can do.

I picked up a used one a while back for modding purposes also, but haven't done anything with it yet. Leaning toward the Vintage tones mods.

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM. Reason: oops forgot link.
                      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

stick with Muzique.com mod, I've done quite every possible ds-1 mods and the best one remains that 2 resistor change, really, it's another pedal

Comment

Replacing the clipping diodes with LEDs or one LED and the two diodes in series will decrease the gain and should give a little more range. Mainly it will add way more dynamics range. You can also do the resistor mod to get less clipping early on.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                            Replacing the clipping diodes with LEDs or one LED and the two diodes in series will decrease the gain and should give a little more range. Mainly it will add way more dynamics range. You can also do the resistor mod to get less clipping early on.
                            the '2 resistors' mod combined with the LED mod can induce a decrease in the gain level significative, my advice is to do one mod only at once, then decide if you want to go further

Comment

Cool thread. I ran over to Radio Shack for the two resistors mod and of course they didn't have the 150k resistor. I only got to play at low volume, but the difference in the amount of gain is dramatic - in a good way.

Will report back later if I get a chance to crank it today.
                              Last edited by SoCalSteve; 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM.
                              Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Working...
                              X