LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Also the resistors I got were blue??? Same.markings but blue and not tan colored so will this make a difference?
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
      Also the resistors I got were blue??? Same.markings but blue and not tan colored so will this make a difference?
      A blue body means metal film. Just a different material and tighter tolerance, usually +/- 1%. As long as they are the correct value by the bands (that does not change from material to material) you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        A blue body means metal film. Just a different material and tighter tolerance, usually +/- 1%. As long as they are the correct value by the bands (that does not change from material to material) you're fine.
        Epically awesome on an epic epic scale.

I was thinking or getting all the resistors replaced with metal film ones.
        Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
          Epically awesome on an epic epic scale.

I was thinking or getting all the resistors replaced with metal film ones.
          Not necessary really. I've done a/b tests with carbon film vs. metal film in simple booster circuits and cannot hear the difference at all. The difference really is apparent in high voltage circuits like amps and such where tight tolerances may be required.

Comment

Not necessary really. I've done a/b tests with carbon film vs. metal film in simple booster circuits and cannot hear the difference at all. The difference really is apparent in high voltage circuits like amps and such where tight tolerances may be required.
            even so, still better quality, not a bad thing.
            Ich bin mein führer

Comment

It is important to change both to the recommended values. They effect the bias of that transistor. If it's not biased right, the sound will get farty or no sound at all. You can order 150k resistors online. 120k should be OK but I wouldn't stray much further than that.
              All right, thanks.

Do you think those resistor assortments on ebay are decent - 1000 or 2000 pieces for like $10?

Or maybe I'll just get the 500 pc. from Radio Shack.
              Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

I've gotten the assortments from Radio Shack. Still haven't used them all. If you think you'll use 1000 pieces or so, for $10, that's a great deal.

LHS: don't worry about metal film vs carbon film here. If all you can get is metal film, fine, but don't make it a requirement.

Comment

Agree on the metal vs carbon film in a pedal. I've used them interchangeably in all my mods and designs with no noticeable effect.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Ok so I have changed the resistors to enable the fat mod.

Due to work and visiting a friend in hospital I haven't tried it yet. I am also now painting the casing metallic purple as I prefer it to the orange but I will retain the orange where the labels are for the controls, etc as it saves me trying to order customs decals.

So progress is still happening albeit very slowly. Lol
                    Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                      Agree on the metal vs carbon film in a pedal. I've used them interchangeably in all my mods and designs with no noticeable effect.
                      there are no differences in sound, at least for a common human being.

Comment

UBER BUMB.

I have finished the mod after several months of it living in my room in bits due to work etc.

I have completed the above mod and I am still disappointed with the pedals' sound.

it sounds thin and brittly fizzy to be hones,t only good setting is tone at 11 o clock and dist at 1 o clock. apart from that it sounds crap, anyway to make this thing sound thicker with more bottom end??

I am contemplating a full JCM 900 mod on it.
                        Ich bin mein führer

Comment

I have owned many different mods of the DS-1... Monte Allums, Analogman, and 1 that was modded by someone to be closer to a JM800 sound... I didn't like any of them... they all sounded fake....I gave up on the DS-1
                          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I never had a DS-1 and I gave up on the DS-1. Save your monies.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I personally like the DS-1. I don't have one anymore (interesting note), but I never had any problem with it.

I could find a decent usable disrotion setting to make me happy with most amps it went into. Obviously more or less knob tweeking was always necessary.

I agree - it is not the uber-pedal to end all pedal needs. But I always thought it was a decent meat and potatoes distortion.

I agree that the ultra tone-seekers aren't going to be all about it. But seriously, Steve Vai was grooving on one and he seems pretty particular. So...before we get all up in arms about the pedal itself, you might consider some of your own particular preferences.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                I personally like the DS-1. I don't have one anymore (interesting note), but I never had any problem with it.

I could find a decent usable disrotion setting to make me happy with most amps it went into. Obviously more or less knob tweeking was always necessary.

I agree - it is not the uber-pedal to end all pedal needs. But I always thought it was a decent meat and potatoes distortion.

I agree that the ultra tone-seekers aren't going to be all about it. But seriously, Steve Vai was grooving on one and he seems pretty particular. So...before we get all up in arms about the pedal itself, you might consider some of your own particular preferences.
                                yeah fair point.

I will carry out a few more mods I think. I mean it hasn't cost me much anyways. the other alternative is for me to build my own circuit and gut the internals, since I spray painted the thing metallic purple.
                                Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Working...
                                X