X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LHS's Boss DS-1 Mod thread

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    kill the fizz.....
    replace one of the clipping diodes with a common or garden variety 3mm red LED.

if you like the vibe....go one step further and replace the other clipping diode with a LED.

Of course, it wont sound much like a DS-1 anymore, but that can be a good thing!
    Is there an instruction on how to do this somewhere? I'm really tempted to do the ASE/Ultra mod. But the 2-resistor mod was something I might do first. This mod you're describing seemed similar to the 2-resistor mod.

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
    My favorite DS-1 mod is the one where you shove it in a box and send it away to someone else.
    It's actually a pretty good distortion with the right amp. It's got that Marshall flavor. The trick is to not get crazy with the tone knob. I treat it very different differently from other dirk boxes I have. My tone knob, depending on the amp, is usually just a little lower or higher than 9 o'clock.

Comment

Well maybe I'm in disagreement with everyone but I have tried at least 4 different brands of modded DS-1 and everyone of them has lost something in the process. It's not to say that they don't sound great, but there is something kind of cool about the original pedal. Just spend $40 and get the Mooer clone.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
        Is there an instruction on how to do this somewhere?
        Just remove either d4 or d5 (or both) and replace with a LED. Its pretty straightforward.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

^ I'll probably try that after doing the 2 resistor thingy.

Do you know of any mod to increase the gain?

So I can get to heavy metal chugga chugga palm muted sounds?

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Comment

Mines got the Keeley mods sem and ultra. Did them myself, they make the pedal sound better but a ds-1 will always be a ds-1 so get a different pedal if your looking for a super big difference in sound. The mods adjust some perameters to taste but at the end of the day you still have a ds-1, just a few less warts.

Comment

In case anyone is interested, there's a dirt simple way to do this mod that makes it switchable, and easier to install. (Except for mounting the switch.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Ormans DS-1 mod switchable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	5776887

Just unsolder the "grounded" side of each resistor. Bend it up into the air. Place one end of the new resistors into that hole. Solder the two ends that are sticking up together, with a short piece of wire. Solder the wire to the switch and ground the appropriate terminals of the switch. Now you can A/B the mod.

P.S. In the process of editing that image, I accidentally left off the credit for muzique.com That image is the property of Jack Orman.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

When doing the Keeley DS-1 Ultra/ASE mod -- do I use the LED in D5 for the ASE, i.e. the red LED that goes through the "o" in "tone"? Or use the D4 LED which goes to the switch?

Also, when soldering the cap across D4 and D5, I should "short" both D4 AND D5 right? Basically the cap will be soldered to both terminals in D4 AND D5.

Comment

Check out the Vox Satchurator if you can still find one. They are cheap on ebay and they are essentially a modded DS-1. Really great pedal with transparent buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                    Check out the Vox Satchurator if you can still find one. They are cheap on ebay and they are essentially a modded DS-1. Really great pedal with transparent buffer.
                    I borrowed my friend's Satchurator and it's been with me for a few weeks now. It's essentially an MIJ DS-1 with a "more" and "pad" switch.

Comment

Finally did the mod. It was my toughest yet. My next project would be trying to add more gain to the DS-2 and MXR Distortion III

Comment

Gonna necro-bump this one,got a DS-1 just sitting around...

Any suggestions,Artie?

"Scalloped & Stickered"
                        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

If I were modifying a DS-1, I'd start with one of the Brian Wampler mods:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The JCM one seems interesting...
                            "Scalloped & Stickered"
                            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                            X