X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I know I've gotten Fuzz Face Crazy!

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    A few things need to be said here...

First the Tweak Fuzz is not a straight Fuzz Face replica even if you omit the TWEAK control...the Tweak Fuzz is based on a boutique Fuzz Box made by Dirty Boy Pedals called the Afro Fuzz...the Afro Fuzz is loosely based on a Fuzz Face.

Now, with that out of the way, the tweak control on a Tweak Fuzz changes the value of the tone cap in a Fuzz Face to trim off low end and change the overall tone.

The biggest differences in the various Fuzz Faces in this thread are actually in transistor choice and gain structure, not in the cap so in that regard the Tweak Fuzz and having several different Fuzz Faces like this is not at all the same.

As for the comparison of a Fuzz Face to a Tweak Fuzz I have done it a few times...the Tweak Fuzz is a cool enough unit but for some players after plugging into a full on Fuzz Face you will see why guys will pay 2, 3, 5 hundred dollars for good replicas and over $1000 for good original units...
    Thanks for that info TGWIF. Now I've got one more pedal to shoot for.

Btw, I've drawn a schematic of the TF, (around here somewhere), and the "tweak" knob also switches a resistor along with the cap. So its an RC combo.

Comment

When I said crazy, I wasn't kidding. I grabbed this for $80 off Craigslist tonight, and it's a great sounding pedal. The way the story goes....Mike Fuller picked up one of his Octafuzz pedals, and saw that the octave part wasn't connected, and realized it's fuzz sounded great on it's own. So, he put in a switch and created the Octafuzz 2 in a smaller housing with Octave fuzz or Fuzz. I'm glad I've finally got one. I'll probably put it where the Classic OD is.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-28-2012, 02:17 AM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I actually like the bigger box Octafuzz but the small box is really appealing for small and or tight boards...I've been looking for another one off and on in the small box to put on my small board!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Now that I've had a bit of time on each Fuzz Face with singles and humbuckers, I'm liking the Hendrix and Bonamassa the most. The Hendrix is the most definitive FF sound IMO, and the sound most commonly associated with the pedal. It's probably the one most should gravitate toward.

The Bonamassa is equally cool, being the most musical in my opinion. It's fat, rich, and it's gain is never over the top, but right where it should be when on 10. Then set the volume where you want it, and you're getting a sweet nicely voiced light fuzz tone.

I kinda like the EJ, but it's my least favorite of the 3. It's got some good sounds in it, and does the over the top thing pretty decently, but it's a strange beast with a lot of ugly in it too. I wouldn't put words in Jorge Tripp's mouth, but I have a feeling he isn't in love with it either. He alluded to that in one of the clips, saying words like "spitty" and "warts and all." It's probably why it took EJ and Dunlop 6 years to arrive at something.
          But it's not terrible either. It's another flavor of FF, and a decent offering since EJ is hugely associated with the Fuzz Face in general.

Overall, the Jimi Hendrix and Joe Bonamassa nail two really great FF sounds. I'll probably use one or the other, depending on guitars and amps. The EJ may stick around if it's a short lived run, but if they start producing thousands, it's probably going.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            Now that I've had a bit of time on each Fuzz Face with singles and humbuckers, I'm liking the Hendrix and Bonamassa the most. The Hendrix is the most definitive FF sound IMO, and the sound most commonly associated with the pedal. It's probably the one most should gravitate toward.

The Bonamassa is equally cool, being the most musical in my opinion. It's fat, rich, and it's gain is never over the top, but right where it should be when on 10. Then set the volume where you want it, and you're getting a sweet nicely voiced light fuzz tone.

I kinda like the EJ, but it's my least favorite of the 3. It's got some good sounds in it, and does the over the top thing pretty decently, but it's a strange beast with a lot of ugly in it too. I wouldn't put words in Jorge Tripp's mouth, but I have a feeling he isn't in love with it either. He alluded to that in one of the clips, saying words like "spitty" and "warts and all." It's probably why it took EJ and Dunlop 6 years to arrive at something.
            But it's not terrible either. It's another flavor of FF, and a decent offering since EJ is hugely associated with the Fuzz Face in general.

Overall, the Jimi Hendrix and Joe Bonamassa nail two really great FF sounds. I'll probably use one or the other, depending on guitars and amps. The EJ may stick around if it's a short lived run, but if they start producing thousands, it's probably going.
            Your findings sort of echo how I feel about the Dunlop Fuzz trio so far...

The EJ is cool and has a lot of character of vintage units...spitty, hard to control, etc...I think that's one of of the things EJ was looking for...something to make it more like an old one but it is also optimized for the way EJ plays...cranked Marshal, 4x12 cab(s) and single coil with the tone rolled WAY off...

The JH Is pretty much the idea Silicon Fuzz Face for most people and really is kind of the ideal Fuzz Face for most people Silicon or not...the gain range is good as it has enough gain to have good sustain even with a Strat but not so much that it becomes hard to use and control.

The Bonna FF however is just a strange beast...the more I hear them the less they even sound like Fuzz Faces to me...I mean the tonal footprint is there but they never quite get "there"...

Jo, let me ask...do you actually use the FUZZ controls on yours or do you just crank it to max and leave it?
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

The Bonna FF however is just a strange beast...the more I hear them the less they even sound like Fuzz Faces to me...I mean the tonal footprint is there but they never quite get "there"...

Joe, let me ask...do you actually use the FUZZ controls on yours or do you just crank it to max and leave it?
              Yeah, I always pinpoint the gain knob to the spot where it melds with the amp's natural gain, which is usually the sound of a 100W plexi turned up to 4 or 5. On the EJ, the gain is around 2:30. On the JH it's around 3:30, and on the JB it's full up, around the 4:30 position. Pickups for reference are Surfers and PAFish humbuckers (Bro, Seths, PG)

The Bonamassa is a bit short of fully fuzzing out, but it's fat and smooth voicing is great for amps and guitars that take it the rest of the way.

I agree about the JH being the one that most people would gravitate toward.
              And luckily, it's $50 cheaper than the other two, and produced in mass quantities.
              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I've had a chance to play with the JB FF today as I'm feeling real lousy and so far I like it better with my Legacy loaded with Custom Surfer/ SSL1/ SSL1. It sounds good with the amp set with the gain just past break up without digging in too much. What I really like is how well it cleans up with the volume rolled back. And the tone controls, especially the bass, have a massive effect with the Legacy too... so much more than a humbucker! It's been fun today playing with this and the WAH and they work so well together, looks like another board in the making.

Comment

With my buckers and my new P-90 guitar. Volume on the P-90 support, I have a good crunchy sound. With full volume, I have a real smooth and warm fuzzies.

Comment

I'll play too - I spent some quality time with my 62' RI Strat and my Sunface today. Holy hell, I love it. Fuzz full up, guitar volume on 10, neck pickup... I love it.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                      It's been fun today playing with this and the WAH and they work so well together, looks like another board in the making.
                      Yeah, I've got enough that I think I'm going to use the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, Jimi Hendrix FF, Fulltone Octafuzz, and white MXR Classic OD on my main board.

On the smaller board, it'll be all copper/orange. JB wah, JB FF, Mudhoney, and Marshall Gov'nor. The Gov'nor is a better pedal than most think. It's a Marshall in a box.

The odd ones out are the EJ FF and green MXR Classic OD. Those, I can use on occasion.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-06-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hey I am new to this Forum.
                        I would like to buy a Fuzz. But I only can compare the Fuzz through Youtube, The musicstores are to far, and most dont have a Bonamassa or Eric Johnson Fuzz. From What I heard I like the Johnson and the Bonmassa Fuzz the most, The Hendrix I dont like that much.
                        My Question:
                        1. Could I achive with the Bonamassa Fuzz the Eric Johnson sound?
                        2. Could I achive with the Eric Johnson Fuzz the Tone that Clapton used with Cream. I know that the Bonamassa Fuzz goes in that direction.
                        3. Do you guys think Johnson used on ''Last house on the Block'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MI1MOD9mU a Fuzz in beginning and also in end, at around 13:25 he sound like clapton. Or did he just cranked his Plexi for this song?

Comment

@Gearjoneser: U own these 2 Fuzz... Maybe u can answer my question. Would to be nice to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Silmaril View Post
                            @Gearjoneser: U own these 2 Fuzz... Maybe u can answer my question. Would to be nice to hear your thoughts.
                            None of the pedals emulate one another Gainwise, the JB is 7, the JH is 10, and the EJ is 13.

Funny enough, the Eric Johnson fuzz grew on me, rising to the top because of those nuances EJ is so adamant about.....the sputtery blatty thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              None of the pedals emulate one another Gainwise, the JB is 7, the JH is 10, and the EJ is 13.
                              What do mean with these numbers?

Does the EJ work well with Humbuckers?

Comment

Working...
                              X