Overdrive vs tube screamer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive vs tube screamer?

Is there much of a difference between overdrives amd tube screamers (and their clones) in terms of how they affect sound (more gain/drive on tap, tone, etc.)? Or are they basically the same thing?

Just trying to figure out which one I want (got a bit of a list going).

Re: Overdrive vs tube screamer?

Go to guitar center and try a bunch through your amp. I find them all different
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

They are essentially the same thing. All tube screamers are overdrives, but not all overdrives are tube screamers. Tube Screamer is a brand which is also a generic name for a specific type of boost circuit. There are a myriad of variations on this circuit and a myriad of clones with the serial numbers filed off.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The Tubescreamer and Boss SD1 are probably the most iconic OD pedals out there. The TS uses a "symmetrical" clipping circuit and tends to be the warmer of the two, but it has really nice harmonics when you turn up the drive. The SD1 has an "asymmetrical" clipping circuit and tends to be a bit brighter and have more bite/raunch. While this may not have a ton of significance, it's a general rule of thumb when hunting down OD pedals, just for reference. Also, the MXR Classic OD has a switch inside to toggle between the two types TS or SD1.

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

Well said Soulcrusher.

Overdrive is overdrive, and Tube Screamer is an iconic style of overdrive. And it's a continuum - there is no hard / fast line between boost, OD, and Distortion. Names can be deceiving. Some units can just gradually shift from one to the other, some have switches. My Catalinbread Super Charged Over Drive - definitely does Distortion, but can drop down to OD land.

They will all give you:
          warmer or brighter sound
          More/Less mid boost
          More less volume
          More less dirt
          The EQ options will vary in number and range.

I personally dig a Tube Screamer with my Fender Pro Jr. But the Junior is a bright fender style amp. That's probably why I dig the screamer. I also like the mid push. Many don't.

The BAd Monkey and Green Rhino are great examples of "more" and more flexible Screamer styles. Also, the DX-9 Turbo Screamer gives multiple setting for more, more and even more gain, and varying amounts of bottom.

Don't forget - interaction with the amp can be very important. MAny/Most OD's are intended to drive the preamp hard, as opposed to a distortion, which often provides the main dirt sound. But you can use the box as the sole source of the dirt.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There are literally thousands of overdrives out there. Best thing you can do is try a few out.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

By the way - Don't know your budget, but...

You can snag an Ibanez ToneLok TS-&, which IS a Tube Screamer, plus a switch for "Hot" for like 30 bucks off ebay. SD-1's aren't much either...
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Why does this boat seem so crowded?

Will be watching (where's the popcorn?)
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  By the way - Don't know your budget, but...

You can snag an Ibanez ToneLok TS-&, which IS a Tube Screamer, plus a switch for "Hot" for like 30 bucks off ebay. SD-1's aren't much either...
                  I had that tonelok pedal, I thought the sound was decent but the contraction of the pedal was questionable.

Comment

The Joyo Vintage Overdrive and Sweet Baby Overdrive are my two favorite budget conscious pedals right now. The first is a TubeScreamer clone and the second is a Mad Professor clone. Both sound good and are cheap. If you want to save some cash and experiment.
                    Hmm...

Comment

Depends what you want to use it for, I have a Tubescreamer, a Wampler Triple Wreck and a Boss Super Overdrive. I have different uses for each.

The tubescreamer is used in front of my 6505+ head to tighten up the low end, boost mids and give me more oomph esp when doing squealies.
                      The SD-1 I hardly use anymore but I did use it for solo boosts.
                      The Triple Wreck I use in rehearsal rooms when I can't take my half stack, and plug it in using a clean channel. Also take it to all shows as a backup should anything in the main rig go down on the night.

FullTone's OCD is also a popular one, and the Maxon Od808.

Comment

FYI this thread is 11 mos old, OP is long gone.

Comment

Working...
                        X