So... Tube Screamers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... Tube Screamers.

I never thought I liked the Tube Screamer sound, but after playing with the "Screamer" model on a Line 6 M5, I've discovered I really want one. (I assume that if I like the model, then the real thing will sound even better, at least if I get a decent one.)

The Line 6 model is not an exact clone of the original as it has bass and treble controls as well as tone/drive/level.

So - I'm wondering what pedal will get this kind of drive and tone without costing too much. (What about the Mooer Green Mile?)

In answer to the question of why don't I just use the M5 if I like that - well it can only do 1 effect at a time and I really bought it to use as a reverb so if I want overdrive as well I need another pedal.

Re: So... Tube Screamers.

I use a TS9DX. It has a few different modes, but I like the original TS9 mode the best. The DigiTech Bad Monkey is an awesome one with separate bass and treble controls.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I have a two TS9's that were modded, one TS808 clone that was made by Xssive. The two TS9's I have have different mods, but I use one that john Spina modded for me with the gain all the way down and tone& volume to taste. In essence I use it like a clean boost on the clean channel of my bogner Shiva. My second TS9 is on another board that I use with my Deluxe Reverb. This one I use a bit more aggressively. I have the volume & tone set like a drive channel so I get a volume boost and a nice thick drive tone when I turn it on. With my Deluxe Reverb it works great.

Personally if you want a Tubescreamer tone buy the real deal. Get an Ibanez TS9 or TS808. The TS9 can be had used for about 50$ 100$ new. The TS808 RI is 170$ new. Yes these are not cheap but bthey sound right & there are some mods that can be done to make them even better. I had a Bad Monkey( I think I may still have it) I paid $20 for it. Its not bad but I prefer the TS9
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've not used the Mooer Green Mile, but I have a Flex Drive, Hustle Drive and Trellicopter. If I were after another Tubescreamer I'd definitely consider the Green Mile. If you are after something with a bit more EQ options, though, look into the MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive or the Way Huge Green Rhino. Both of them have a 100Hz knob that really boosts the bass!
        Go Packers!

Comment

If you need Bass/Treble, BAd Monkey is what you want.

ISn't modelling awesome? I love the clone of the Small Clone on my Chorus factory. All adjustable every which way from the base sound...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I bought an SD-1 long, long ago, and I found very little use for it. Then I bought the Monte Allums SD-1 GT mod, and I love it. I use it as a clean boost, with level all the way up, the drive all the way down, and tone to taste. It pushes the amp right in the mids to add some sparkle, and it cuts and sounds beautiful. I love it.

Comment

I had a Tubescreamer that I got rid of for an MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion. I didn't enjoy it as much as I like the model of it on my Line 6 POD HD 500. Line 6 has some great gear.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Thank me later after you get a Power Screamer by HBE. Youll get a cool, booooooooteeeeeky pedal that is a badass TS9/808.
                I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

MAXON.

Comment

JOYO vintage overdrive.

Comment

The MXR Classic Overdrive is the one to get. It's low noise, road worthy, and can do both TS and SD-1 style clipping by switching an internal switch on the pc board.
                      Widow - "we have songs".
                      Originally posted by Aceman
                      Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

Thread Summary:

1. There are lots of them

2. Try them all....

And thank you for playing
                        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

One more vote for the Bd Monkey. Cheap in price, but not in sound, it also has a jack with cabinet emulation direct to the mixer. I use this jack into an amp and love the sound. No need to spend lots of $$ on a TS-style pedal. BTW, I love the Line6 screamer model too.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Best TS I have used is a TS9 modded by Analogman to 808 specs. Sounds like I think a TS should sound. The TS9 was way too harsh for me before he worked it.

Comment

I have his silver-mod (RE-J series) TS9.

Analog Man Ibanez Tube Screamer Modifications

I am very fond of it, it has a little bit of sparkle to it that I have not heard in other tube screamers.

This is *not* a true bypass pedal although he offers that mod; however you may like it stock with the buffer active even when the pedal is off.

Originally posted by nedcronin View Post
                              Best TS I have used is a TS9 modded by Analogman to 808 specs. Sounds like I think a TS should sound. The TS9 was way too harsh for me before he worked it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X