Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So... Tube Screamers.

Originally posted by John E Rokker View Post
    The MXR Classic Overdrive is the one to get. It's low noise, road worthy, and can do both TS and SD-1 style clipping by switching an internal switch on the pc board.
    IIRC the difference between the two is 1 silicon diode (symmetrical vs. asymmetrical clipping)

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
    Thread Summary:

1. There are lots of them

2. Try them all....

And thank you for playing
    This. What you get from a tubescreamer pedal really depends on what you want from them. They are not transparent, they are not a good 'dimension' pedal in the same was a klon or an EP boost are (arguably the EP and klon differ in function but they both are tone enhancers). What they do brilliantly is cut through dense mixes and make your guitar stand out.

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
    It doesn't have to have the separate treble and bass controls, but what I would like is for it not to have too much gain, so I can use it as a clean-ish boost at the lower end, then the overdrive ramps up gradually as I turn the drive control up, rather than the all or nothing effect of some pedals that have too much gain too low down on the knob.
    I think bass and treble controls rather miss the point of a tubescreamer, though they are nonetheless appreciated. But, if you're using a tubescreamer you probably don't wnat bass. You probably want a gentler treble. By and large, you're just looking for a good place to put your guitar in the mix so it sounds good and you don't step on anyone's frequencies.

There are literally some tubescreamers out there. How many, I have no idea. But, without any knowledge of audio engineering in any capacity, and with extremely limited first hand knowledge, I can say I like some of the guitar sounds I make, that come from a boss SD-1. Modified of course.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

My vote is for the Bad Monkey. I absolutely love mine. Instead of one tone knob, it has a low and high, and that plus the gain and level make it very versatile. I've been thinking of sending it off to be modded, but I may wait until I buy another one, in case I don't like the modded version as much.

Comment

Got the standard TS9 which does the job to push my 6505+ nicely. Tightens up the flubby sound and gives more bite. Have thought about the Maxon OD808 but content with the TS9.

Comment

I am using a TS7 before my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blue into my Fender Super Champ X2 which sounds excellent.

Comment

I'm a Tube Screamer-guy. I have a bunch of Maxons and Ibanez versions. Yes, I am biased, but I have to say, the new Seymour Duncan 805 really is all that.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
              I'm a Tube Screamer-guy. I have a bunch of Maxons and Ibanez versions. Yes, I am biased, but I have to say, the new Seymour Duncan 805 really is all that.
              I want one really really really really badly.

Comment

Working...
              X