Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent score: ADA MP-1

Hey guys,

I scored an old ADA MP-1 with no mods for quite a favorable price. It was a bit beat up and all, but still working. I had to really clean it you know, also with the degreaser sprey into the pots and all. But it's working fine, which is cool.

Here is a pic of the rack stuff I have:

And here is how it sounds (with my playing on backtracks)

- Guitar & Amp: Warmoth Walnut hardtail Stratocaster; bridge position, Duncan PATB-3; Ada MP-1 Nuno B. Settings; Alen Geere Loverdrive G2L11; RedWirez Marshall G12H30 Cabsim...
    - Antress Modern Limiter, EQ, Classic Compressor
    - Cubase
    - SoundJay! & SoundBible
    - EMU 1616m

- Guitar & Amp: Warmoth Walnut hardtail Stratocaster; neck position, Duncan 59N (Alnico 4); Ada MP-1; RedWirez Marshall G12M Greenback Cabsim...
    - Antress Modern Limiter, EQ, Compressor, Spacer
    - Cubase
    - EMU 1616m

I like it!

B
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 12-21-2013, 06:10 PM.
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Recent score: ADA MP-1

I've always wanted one of those. Congratulations

Comment

Thanks.

The cool thing is that I paid less than what I'd pay for a good Marshall in a box kinda pedal... And this preamp delivers!

B

Comment

I sold mine a couple of years ago. It was a good preamp and pretty versatile. My biggest gripe was the frequencies for hi/mid/low don't match common amp frequency ranges. I used a EH 12ax7 in the first stage and a svetlana 5751 for the second stage because you can set the amount of drive for each stage separately and I liked to have two different styles of distortion mixed. I tied two 12ax7's but it got a bit dark and mushy.

Comment

Awesome preamp in my opinion, you can squeeze a lot of legendary tones out of it.

The only downside is its front switching panel. If the switches are okay they work great but once they became worn you are in trouble as they use some foil switching that you can find on $5 pocket calculators. Sentenced to death, sort of. No way of replacing as the whole front switch panel is one solid unit. We had an ADA MB-1 some years ago. It was very hard to fix it as the tech had to build / figure out a new wiring with micro switches that worked the same way as the multi-layer switching foil.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 12-21-2013, 09:50 PM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
            I sold mine a couple of years ago. It was a good preamp and pretty versatile. My biggest gripe was the frequencies for hi/mid/low don't match common amp frequency ranges. I used a EH 12ax7 in the first stage and a svetlana 5751 for the second stage because you can set the amount of drive for each stage separately and I liked to have two different styles of distortion mixed. I tied two 12ax7's but it got a bit dark and mushy.
            Mine currently has 2 12AX7's, ... I think...

One is definitely a 12AX7, Slyvania, 70's. But I do not know the other, does not have any markings of anysort. It has short plates, and I think it's an 12AX7... But am not sure. Nevertheless, I like the sound, and am not gonna fiddle with them valves in the short run as long as they last you know.

B

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
              Awesome preamp in my opinion, you can squeeze a lot of legendary tones out of it.

The only downside is its front switching panel. If the switches are okay they work great but once they became worn you are in trouble as they use some foil switching that you can find on $5 pocket calculators. Sentenced to death, sort of. No way of replacing as the whole front switch panel is one solid unit. We had an ADA MB-1 some years ago. It was very hard to fix it as the tech had to build / figure out a new wiring with micro switches that worked the same way as the multi-layer switching foil.
              Mine was quite beat up actually. The top and especially the bottom covers have many dings, scratches and all... But the controls are all fine. The pots were a bit scratchy, but I used the blue degreaser sprey, they all fine now. I hope they stay that way.

B

Comment

Life regret: Walking out of that pawn shop without the ADA-1

I declasre this an unmitigated win without reading a word of the thread.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice score
                  TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Life regret: Walking out of that pawn shop without the ADA-1

I declasre this an unmitigated win without reading a word of the thread.
                    Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                    Nice score
                    Thanks guys.

B

Comment

Man, that sounds great! They seem to be going for about $250-300 on Ebay right now. Tempting, for sure...
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

MP-1'a are great! I used one for about 20 years! I bought up every cheap one I could find back then. As low as $100! I still have the one I bought new in 88' or so and 5 other units in various stages of repair/dis-repair. One is just for parts! I have one thats got the MOD4 thing and one thats MOD3.666.....The MOD4 became my #1 and the 88' became my backup. I actually got one out last week after being stored away for a few years. I missed that sound. Thinking of going back to the rack!
                        Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                        "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Try a BBE Sonic Maximizer between the preamp and poweramp. Adds a lot of depth....

Go here for parts and mod info: http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/index.htm

And the ADA Depot website is back! www.adadepot.com
                          Last edited by metlking; 12-22-2013, 08:05 PM.
                          Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                          "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

dug the second clip. not so much feeling the first.

I owned one all of an hour or two before I took it back. I had different tastes back then and might like it these days.

Comment

Cool!

B

Comment

Working...
                              X