• Show
Clear All

• Kais
    replied
    Re: Recent score: ADA MP-1

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    F-yeah it's a good deal. Does it work?
    Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
    Rackmounted stuff sells incredibly cheap these days it seems. Picked up my MP-1 3 years ago for 120 bucks. 100 is a steal if it works.

If this jackass ever responds to my email I will pick it up! I've really wanted one after hearing Kevin Shields (MBV) and Billy Corgan both used the unit. You can never have enough dirt

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

MP-1s made a comeback in recent years thanks to the mods like 3.666 and such, so the prices were up around $200+ on average. I picked up a 2nd MP-1 and the SPX90 as a pair for about $150 last year. Dirt-cheap MP-1 and a free SPX90 IMO

Any time you find a working MP-1 for under $150, it's considered a score. Most of them get snapped up by the modders either for spare parts or to be modded and resold for $300+.

I don't think I've heard any mod clips vs stock, and I get plenty of gain from mine (at least for my needs). I use a Digitech TSR12 for tone-shaping EQ so I get all the tones I need. By itself through a poweramp, the MP-1 is a bit harsh for my tastes. I have to tweak the EQ externally.

I use the MP-1 EQ for fine-tuning of the TSR-12 patches. A little more bass here, little more top end there, etc. With the EQ shift being off from everything else, you don't have to worry about doubling the setting of a given EQ patch, though the TSR-12 does have a parametric EQ with assignable freqs that can match up with the MP-1.

I had a Digitech 2101A a couple of years ago that took a lot of tweaking (both processors maxed) to replicate one of my MP-1+TSR-12 patches. That was a nice unit, but in the end I decided to keep the MP-1.

Leave a comment:

• El Supremo
    replied

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
    I saw an Ada mp1 for sale for $100, is that a good deal?
    Rackmounted stuff sells incredibly cheap these days it seems. Picked up my MP-1 3 years ago for 120 bucks. 100 is a steal if it works.

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

F-yeah it's a good deal. Does it work?

Leave a comment:

• Kais
    replied

I saw an Ada mp1 for sale for $100, is that a good deal?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff5
    replied

Nice score Doc! I see you have a Roland GP-16. I actually still use an old GP-8 for chorus and delay. The thing still sounds surprisingly good.

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

Really? I'da thought for sure it was one of the older 4xx models. At least that was the word a few years ago, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
    I suppose this one, no?

Get the guaranteed best price on Sound Enhancers & Exciters like the BBE 382i Stereo Sonic Maximizer at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

B
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

I suppose this one, no?

Get the guaranteed best price on Sound Enhancers & Exciters like the BBE 382i Stereo Sonic Maximizer at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

B

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

I know it's subjective, but what's the "good" sonic maximizer model? There's always *that one* that "everyone" says is the good one, all the others suck, etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Only if I could score an old Yamaha SPX90 ... Nevertheless, I have a strong urge to substitute it with either a Lexicon MX400 or a TC M350. Both of them are fine, no? And a BBE Sonic Maximizer...

300 dollars...

Definitely doable!

B

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

Hmmm. I've had the mp1 for years, pickedup an spx90 last year. Maybe need to find myself a sonic maximizer.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

ADA MP1 > Yamaha SPX90 > BBE Sonic Maximizer > Power Amp > Speaker of Choice =

Leave a comment:

• Mad-Max
    replied

The ADA MP-1 is a really nice Pre-amp. Good score my friend!

I've tried both the MP-1 and the MP-2 but I liked the MP-1 way more than I did the MP-2. It was a much easier Pre-amp to tweak. No matter how many times I tried to tweak the MP-2, I could never get a satisfying tone out of it. Maybe it was just me. Plus it was used so the guy before had all these pre-sets in that he used that I didn't find usable. Probably should've tried to figure out how to reset it or something.

Nevertheless, the MP-1 was a great Pre-amp and I found lots of usable tones and it was way more user friendly. The MP-2 just had way too much going on with it IMO.

Leave a comment:

• superpete
    replied

That Class of 89 ad was always one of my favorites. Even as a kid I thought it was absurd to have Kirk Hammet, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Paul GIlbert, and Vito Bratta in an ad but have Atomic Tommy McClendon as the main picture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X