banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

Originally posted by kilphody View Post
    I'm going acoustic. Done with pedals. Tried to give em' away and the shipping was more than the bother.
    PC
    Haha. I have a drawer full as well! One day I might want to use one. And I tend to sell now and then. But you are right, some more trouble to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

My hat's in the ring - Found a discount coupon at Sam Ash.

Comment

Lew, from what I listened to, the emphasis seemed to be use into a clean amp. What is your experience for use into a somewhat crunchy amp? I currently use either a modded SD-1 (more of a late 70s rock solo sound) or a LPB-1 (cleaner, think Big Brother and the Holding Co) for a solo boost into a somewhat distorted amp.

The price is right for sure, but no point in duplicating something I already have!

Comment

Mine shipped from MF yesterday. I think I'm going to strip off the decal, spray paint it gold, and put on a sticker of "Donkey" from Shrek.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
            Lew, from what I listened to, the emphasis seemed to be use into a clean amp. What is your experience for use into a somewhat crunchy amp? I currently use either a modded SD-1 (more of a late 70s rock solo sound) or a LPB-1 (cleaner, think Big Brother and the Holding Co) for a solo boost into a somewhat distorted amp.

The price is right for sure, but no point in duplicating something I already have!
            I believe the original Klon was designed to overdrive a non-master volume amp, turned up to a decent volume: 3 or 4 at least.

I've been playing my PCE Aluminum Falcon into my Deluxe Reverb Amp and my Princeton Reverb Amp, and find that I get the "best" tone if the amp is turned up to about volume "3" at least, and volume "4" sounds even better.

Most of the online tests I've seen fail because the guys doing the testing are playing at to low of a volume and because they don't demonstrate how you can go from a "rock clean" to a "rock overdrive" using the volume control of the guitar.

THAT, to me, is what the magic of the Klon is all about.

To me, it's not a stomp "on" for solos, stomp "off" for chords kind of pedal.

I leave mine "on" all the time and use my Strat's volume control to go from a cleanish tone to a more overdriven tone.

I don't own any master volume amps. Mine are all old Fenders and old Gibsons from before master volumes were invented and I think those types of amps work best with the Klon and the Klon Klones - as long as you can turn them up to at least 3 or 4.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Cool, thanks Lew! ^^^^^

Now if I only still had that old Hiwatt...
              Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hey Lew . . . I didn't read every post in this thread, but I'm one of those who ordered one of these based on your recommendation. I was simply waiting for it to arrive, and then listen to, before I commented.

I think Electro-Harmonix owes you a commission check.

Artie

Comment

I'm going to clone the Soul Food and name it the "Stole Food"

My SF should be here today!

Comment

I'm looking forward to reading what you guys think of the SF. For $63, it's a great way to see if you even like what the Klon circuit does. I'm trying to get my brother Bruce at Mission Amps to stock these but he can only order them six at a time. EH won't fill an order for more than that amount. That's why so many outlets are selling out of them so quickly. It's a hot item.

Comment

I checked out a bunch of OD and Dist pedals today. Out of the bunch, the Soul Food and Catalinbread Formula 5 were my favorite. The Soul Food is a pretty good Klon type pedal, and at that price, they'll sell a ton of them.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        I checked out a bunch of OD and Dist pedals today. Out of the bunch, the Soul Food and Catalinbread Formula 5 were my favorite. The Soul Food is a pretty good Klon type pedal, and at that price, they'll sell a ton of them.
                        Glad you liked it. I'm sure your real Klon tops the Soul Food by at least a small margin...I like my Aluminum Falcon a bit better too. But for $63 the Soul Food is a steal!

Comment

I actually ordered one the other day from my local shop. Looking forward to getting it

***just read the thread, now I am really looking forward to it!***
                          Last edited by Wattage; 01-18-2014, 10:35 PM.
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

A couple of videos were posted on youtube a while ago where the guy A/B's the Soul Food with a Klon KTR and a Silver Klon Centaur:

Silver Klon

Klon KTR

From what I can hear it measures up really well, especially when you consider that the EHX is just a fraction of the price of the two Klons. Really cool pedal, I'm actually really considering getting one.
                            “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

It is just old basic electronics stuff....
                              There is nothing difficult in making pedals!!!
                              Why do you all think there are so many manufacturers now??
                              Because it is difficult?

EHX gets the pcb's from the East...and put them together in NY....it is not very expensive, everything is basic, no crazy box colours or anything that takes time to make!
                              The old Klon had a special made box, the electronics was made by hand(costs more, and all that) now it is a production item....
                              That costs alot less and takes no time!

It is what most like, cheap and easy to get....maybe not all that good economic wise in the long run...but well....people are mostly frugal when it comes to leasure items!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                                It is just old basic electronics stuff....
                                There is nothing difficult in making pedals!!!
                                Why do you all think there are so many manufacturers now??
                                Because it is difficult?
                                This is true. I've messed around with making a few clone pedals with my dad, and I had a few that were modelling 200 dollar pedals that I built for under 40. I don't really believe in mojo or magic, if you copy the electronic circuit of something it's going to sound the same, and frankly I'm really happy that the Klon's circuitboard has been cracked and can be sold so cheaply now. Now, I haven't personally tried a real Klon or this pedal, but I keep hearing that the real Klon sounds just a tiny margin better, even in clips I've heard where the two sound exactly the same. I think a lot of it is the mental element of comparing one of the most famous sought after pedals of all time to a cheap pedal made from asian parts, your mind refuses to believe that a cheap pedal could sound as good as the 'real' thing (see: Jerry's post above).

Next good step is to do what we did with the tubescreamer, every company should start putting their own twist on it and we can see what heights we can push the pedal to.

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                                Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
                                X