banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

Might. I sold my Soul Food to my buddy Aj who insisted I do so. It was only a day or two old but I didn't mind as I have a PCE AF1 that I like even a little better. You can buy one of those for $155. IMO, the AF1 is worth the extra cost. https://www.facebook.com/PCE.Effects But for $63 the Soul Food is still an amazingly good value.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

• Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

The most honest Soul Food review I have ever read.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Soul Food? I've tried two of them so far and they both sound terrible to me. I don't mean to offend anyone. But the gain isn't usable from about twelve o'clock on. And up to twelve it didn't do anything to shape the sound. I tried it through a cranked Princeton, a Twin, an Orange OR15, a newer Blues Deville, and a Marshall plexi type. I'm not impressed with the sound.
        Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by VanDerchuck View Post
          Am I the only one who doesn't like the Soul Food? I've tried two of them so far and they both sound terrible to me. I don't mean to offend anyone. But the gain isn't usable from about twelve o'clock on. And up to twelve it didn't do anything to shape the sound. I tried it through a cranked Princeton, a Twin, an Orange OR15, a newer Blues Deville, and a Marshall plexi type. I'm not impressed with the sound.
          Truth be told, I wasn't a big fan of the Mojopedals K2 which is supposed to be a boutique style Klone. After all the hype of the Klon, I thought it was going to be my be-all, end-all boost.

It sounded anemic through my Fenders with single coils at lower settings and I found myself having to push the gain up to around 1 o'clock or higher to get some decent drive out of it. At that point, the midrange takes on a really thick, compressed character, low end becomes really fat and muddy and the highs stay pretty clean making for a weird mix that doesn't sit right with my rig. I had a bass boost/cut feature that offset the muddiness a hair, but it was still too unbalanced for my taste. It did not stack well with my Fairfield Barbershop pedal (which is a light fuzz) as it had a strong character that really should be on by itself (at least with my rig).

I see the appeal for some rigs, however. A few months back when I had an ES-335, my friend came over and I recorded him. He used the pedal through my Vibrolux, cranked the gain and had a pretty darn good rhythm overdrive sound. Oddly enough, I find it's a better rhythm pedal than a lead pedal considering it's touted as a holy grail boost pedal. I don't get it.
          Last edited by That90'sGuy; 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by VanDerchuck View Post
            Am I the only one who doesn't like the Soul Food?
            No. Returned mine to GC the day I received it in the mail. Least favorite OD of any type I'd ever tried, even behind a DS1; just my opinion of course. Made me appreciate a good TS type pedal with the gain way low. Maybe I'm realizing that's more my sound for low OD; tighter with some compression. Still possibly considering other more open sounding low gain ODs though; route 66 seems promising, but I decided not to explore the wampler offerings. No hurry since I'm now pretty happy with the options I've got.

Instead I gave a muff tone wicker a try that day and decided I needed that type of tone as an option.

Comment

Still on my board, it works well with other pedals which is nice. Thins the sound out a little bit but makes it cut more so I guess that balances out.

It's not bad, obviously not high gain, the Pigtronix Class A Boost and this are still both on the board one will stay most likely.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Look what I did! A friend found some OA126 Telefunken diodes, which are apparently the type used in the Klon. It sounds great in the Soul Food.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                Originally posted by Securb
                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                  Look what I did! A friend found some OA126 Telefunken diodes, which are apparently the type used in the Klon. It sounds great in the Soul Food.
                  I'm curious - what changes?
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                    I'm curious - what changes?
                    Different clipping, softer, rounder. I haven't had the chance to play it with any real volume, so I'll give a little more in depth review after practice tonight.
                    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Different clipping, softer, rounder. I haven't had the chance to play it with any real volume, so I'll give a little more in depth review after practice tonight.
                      Do you have any experience with the OA1160? I've heard that it's up there with the OA126, except with a lower forward voltage. This guy seems to like them. I'm just curious about how they compare.
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                        Do you have any experience with the OA1160? I've heard that it's up there with the OA126, except with a lower forward voltage. This guy seems to like them. I'm just curious about how they compare.
                        That means it'll clip sooner, which can be desirable. Then you can also wire a couple in series to up the clipping voltage threshold

Comment

That means it'll clip sooner, which can be desirable. Then you can also wire a couple in series to up the clipping voltage threshold
                          Yeah, I'm planning on using them in a bluesbreaker circuit, which has them in series, with the other side being a 1S1588 silicone diode (I think it's like .65v?)

And, stuffed into the same box, an ep booster.

Here's the layouts I'm planning on using:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshall Bluesbreaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	5777045

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xotic EP Booster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	5777046

My only concern is that the ep booster won't sound like the real deal, but IDK if I want to spend the $$$ on the real deal right now.
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Mine is finally being shipped. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                              Yeah, I'm planning on using them in a bluesbreaker circuit, which has them in series, with the other side being a 1S1588 silicone diode (I think it's like .65v?)

And, stuffed into the same box, an ep booster.

Here's the layouts I'm planning on using:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53156[/ATTACH]

My only concern is that the ep booster won't sound like the real deal, but IDK if I want to spend the $$$ on the real deal right now.
                              Isn't the Xotic BB Preamp pedal a Marshall Bluesbreaker in a box thing? If it is then you are about to put them both together in one box! That would great

Comment

Damn. Got mine today. Not sure I like it. Going to have to plug it into some more amps, but it sure seems to loose a lot of bottom end.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                                X