banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agileguy_101
    replied
    Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
    I thought everyone went all batsh!t when a company steals a circuit. I guess we're cool with it?
    I think people are okay with it because this is the very first affordable Klone, and also because of the ridiculous prices that Cenaturs (and even some of their clones) are fetching.

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
    WOW, that's very interesting Lew. I'll HAVE to check one out now. I'm guessing it has a buffer too?
    It's switchable between true and buffered bypass.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Duke
    replied
    Re: I posted about the EH SOUL FOOD Klon clone a few days and no one seemed intereste

WOW, that's very interesting Lew. I'll HAVE to check one out now. I'm guessing it has a buffer too?

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    replied

I thought everyone went all batsh!t when a company steals a circuit. I guess we're cool with it? (I'd like to try one btw)
    Last edited by DankStar; 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

I just ordered the Soul Food from Amazon. Unfortunately it was not available for Prime shipping, so I'll have it next week, I hope.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Nice. I think if I bought another strat, it would probably be the EJ in Palomino Metallic. And Surfers would go in it.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Lew, when did you get that nice 60's RI tele? I know you've got to be digging your new Aqua Fire Mist EJ strat.
    Does it take much to get used to neck binding on a Fender?
    No, Joe. Not at all.

I felt completely at home on it right away. I sold my white EJ and used the money to get the rosewood version.

It plays even more easily than the original maple fingerboard EJ I had. 12" radius, jumbo frets - feels the most like a Gibson of any Fender I've ever played. My buddy Aj said the exact same thing about it.

I truly believe it's the best "new" Fender Strat I've ever owned - although I bought it used and got a good deal on it. The A3 pickups don't give me the tone I'm used to though, and my goal was to recreate my '63 Strat so I did switch them to a set of alnico 5 Klein 62's.

I don't think the Kleins sound any better than the Antiquity Surf pickups in my other two Strats - but they are excellent and I was in a mood to hear something a little different.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Lew, when did you get that nice 60's RI tele? I know you've got to be digging your new Aqua Fire Mist EJ strat.
    Does it take much to get used to neck binding on a Fender?

Leave a comment:

• EET_FUK
    replied

Definitely appreciate these threads Lew. I'm really interested in how this, as well as the other new EHX overdrives sound.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

Had a long jam yesterday with my buddy Aj. He's a Strat player too and has a nice Jimmie Vaughan I fixed up for him with two Duncan SSL-1's and a Fralin SP43. And a nice old silverface Deluxe Reverb that Mission Amps fixed up for him.

At first I just demoed the SOUL FOOD for him and we compared it to my ALUMINUM FALCON. Kept going back and forth and trying to adjust the knobs on each so they sounded the same.

Couldn't quite get them to sound the same. Got them really, really close but once we goosed the DRIVE on the SOUL FOOD up to about the 3 O'clock position the SOUL FOOD got some killer overdrive tones that the AF couldn't quite duplicate.

My AF always sounded cleaner and had a bigger/wider sound though.

We felt that the AF reminded us of a cranked blackface Fender amp and the SOUL FOOD more of a cranked Marshall.

When we were all done about four hours later Aj went to a box in his top drawer and pulled out $65 and told me had to have my SOUL FOOD. He couldn't wait for Bruce to get more in stock - he wanted it now.

He's my best friend (other than my wife) so I let him have it. I have my ALUMINUM FALCON KLON KLONE and I'll get another SOUL FOOD when Bruce gets them back in stock again next week.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

You always get more than your money's worth with Electroharmonix products. I've never been disappointed with any of them.

I'll keep my eye out for the Soul Food, particularly a used on on the cheap. But really, I have no reason to be looking at OD pedals. I've got all my faves already.

Klon Centaur (gold) - love it, and doubt I'll ever sell it.
    Barber LTD (silver) - another great low gain OD.
    Way Huge Green Rhino - my favorite beefy tubescreamer type.
    T Rex Moller - a great transparent mild tubescreamer.
    Marshall Gov'nor II. The most underrated Marshall in a box. It's the natural extension of a Marshall.
    MXR Classic OD. The best cheap overdrive I've ever bought. It's best at taking a gainy tone to singing sustain.

The Bogner pedals. These are in a class of their own, because they really aren't OD's. They're a complete preamp section for running into a clean base tone. The blue pedal will turn your clean amp into a classic Marshall/Bogner Shiva sound. The red pedal takes it a step further, allowing you to get all the good highgain tones....think Satriani. The Ubershall is full on metal.....think Dimebag Darrell.
    (I know the red and Uber aren't your bag, but the blue could be)
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-12-2014, 05:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
    I definitely noticed. I'm exactly in the shoes you describe. I've wanted a Klon since I first researched them, but couldn't justify the price tag of even a Klone. I hadn't heard of this pedal until you posted, but it's exactly what I needed.

I can't wait to try it out on the 62 Tweed Champ I just got. I bet they will play nicely together.
    I'm sure it will Matt. I don't have a photo of the SOUL FOOD plugged into my old Princeton but I use it or my ALUMINUM FALCON with it all the time and it does sound terrific.

The ALUMINUM FALCON is great too - but they're not $63.

For $63 for a SOUL FOOD it'll be money well spent - trust me.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

I definitely noticed. I'm exactly in the shoes you describe. I've wanted a Klon since I first researched them, but couldn't justify the price tag of even a Klone. I hadn't heard of this pedal until you posted, but it's exactly what I needed.

I can't wait to try it out on the 62 Tweed Champ I just got. I bet they will play nicely together.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied

That's great guys. Thought no one gave a hoot!

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

I've actually got one on the docket based on your post. I may order it this weekend, actually.
    Last edited by Matt42; 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lake Placid Blues
    replied

Lew I'm glad you posted this and the other thread as well. I have thought about the approach of using a OD on all the time and being able to control the tone with the guitar. Controlling the tone from the guitar dynamically is the best way to play in my experience, but it's difficult to operate tube amps at the needed volume these days. This might help with the problem when playing live of going back to a channel switching amp's clean channel and disappearing in the mix as well. I might try it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X