Check your local GC. MXR Classic OD's now $19.99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check your local GC. MXR Classic OD's now $19.99

Amazing how things that suck are suddenly cool again. Oh wait - this thing ISN'T cool again....

Not hating. If you dig it great. And we all know Ima all about da cheeps. Just bringing up a very interesting point. This pedal has existed for, oh, DECADES. Hasn't been mentioned three times on this board. Suddeny for $20 it's the cat's meow of tone and we are all busting a nut to get to GC to buy one. The top gets popped and we are thinking Joyo has about the same build quality...

Someone explain this to me.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      The top gets popped and we are thinking Joyo has about the same build quality...
      That's basically what it is though, right? Some people swear by the Joyo and expect it to be built in such a manner. Yet, when it's from a company that I see as reputable, it's not acceptable. So yeah, it's an overpriced Joyo.

I had this pedal on my "To Build" list via a layout from Tagboardeffects. Which I won't have to do now. So I'm happy about I don't have to build it. But I will have to rehouse it at some point.

I guess for the money, you get what you get and you probably will be upset with it anyway.

FWIW: I would've run over to GC to buy two $20 Joyo pedals if they had them.
      Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
        Now, I definitely preferred it on the ZW Overdrive setting. Just seemed a lot less abrasive and smoother overall. To me, this pedal makes a really good work horse of a pedal, and the tone it produces is definitely usable in a live setting or even in a recording situation. For 20 bucks, it's definitely a pedal I'd recommend for someone looking for a good overdrive and doesn't have a lot of dough to spend. Plus it's a good back up.

+1
        Hmm...

Comment

This pedal has existed for, oh, DECADES. Hasn't been mentioned three times on this board. Suddeny for $20 it's the cat's meow of tone and we are all busting a nut to get to GC to buy one. The top gets popped and we are thinking Joyo has about the same build quality...

It's been mentioned here before. In fact, I first tried this pedal because of something I read on this forum. I already own two of them, but for $20 I'm still tempted to get another. It sounds great in front of my Blues Jr., and somehow finds its way onto every pedalboard layout I try. It's not necessarily a pedal that makes your jaw drop (though that's exactly the reaction I got from my band the first time I stepped on it) but it is a solid performer for me.

If GC can blow this pedal out for $20, then clearly MXR can mass-produce it for even less. But I doubt that anyone on this forum can build that pedal for $20.
          Originally posted by DreX
          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Amazing how things that suck are suddenly cool again. Oh wait - this thing ISN'T cool again....

Not hating. If you dig it great. And we all know Ima all about da cheeps. Just bringing up a very interesting point. This pedal has existed for, oh, DECADES. Hasn't been mentioned three times on this board. Suddeny for $20 it's the cat's meow of tone and we are all busting a nut to get to GC to buy one. The top gets popped and we are thinking Joyo has about the same build quality...

It's not that it's cool or anything, I just found it to be an interesting buy. An Overdrive that can be switched between two types for 20 bucks. Seemed like a good investment to me, and it doesn't sound half bad.

Nobody thought that it was the 'cat's meow of tone', it was just a matter of getting a decent pedal for 20 bucks. Honestly, the build construction really doesn't bother me, and there was nothing to me about the pedal that threw red flags. Plus come on now, who doesn't like pedals? I always say that shopping for pedals is like going into a candy store. All the different colors and flavors to choose from, different brands, etc.

All I care about is if I can use it and it sounds good, and to me, this pedal is both of those things, and you can't get anything worth the ground we walk on gearwise for 20 bucks.

Comment

because you can't get a better sounding overdrive pedal for less? because you can flip it on ebay for $40? if you were looking to get, say, a bad monkey or a boss sd1 and were offered this, i think you'd be foolish not to get the mxr. it sounds good, is well made, and is $20.
              Quality riffs in about a minute...
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                because you can't get a better sounding overdrive pedal for less? because you can flip it on ebay for $40? if you were looking to get, say, a bad monkey or a boss sd1 and were offered this, i think you'd be foolish not to get the mxr. it sounds good, is well made, and is $20.
                +1

Comment

I have a lot of cool overdrives. At $20.00, I am becoming convinced that I need another one, which I never considered buying before. Thanks!
                  "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                  Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                  guitar pic site
                  Original prog rock on soundcloud
                  Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                  Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Mine's now way cooler with a green led and toggle on top... Easily worth $300.00 once I goop the circuit board and repaint it
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I've had one of these in a green case for about four years now. I think I got it when they were selling them for $40 and I moved the switch to the top of the case (micro toggle). It's my favorite dirt pedal. I'm actually going to get a second one today now that I know their $20. I'm poor as poo and that's too good to pass up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                      Nope...

Comment

Got mine. Last one here. No box.

Nope...

Comment

ok - starting to see the point. I'm still passing.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Fair enough. It's not for everybody. For instance, I don't seem to like the sound of a Klon or Klone. :sly:

Nope...

Comment

Oh come on, you know you want to

Comment

They do look cooler with a green LED installed. I did this when I bought the green and cream a couple years ago.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                                X