Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Ice-9 overdrive pedal

Hi all,

I have seen a few of these available on sale over on these shores and I am curious about them. What is the general consensus on these pedals? Has anybody had any experience with them?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Vox Ice-9 overdrive pedal

I tried one a few months after they came out. I couldn't find a good setting. The highs are too damn ice pick like for my tastes.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

It sounds good for vintage type of overdrive. I don't like the fact that it's too big.

Comment

Is it supposed to emulate a "Surfing With The Alien" tone? I love Satch but that was not the best tone in the world.
        "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by YJM_Rocks View Post
          Is it supposed to emulate a "Surfing With The Alien" tone? I love Satch but that was not the best tone in the world.
          From what I have read on it... no. I'm no expert on Satch but people seem associate that sound with modded distortions (DS-1's by the sound of it). I understand that this is more of a straight up overdrive (with two voices, one being a TS type). Haven't found a large number of opinions on them to gauge what people think of them though.

I'm mainly curious because if they are decent then I may get one given the price. For one thing, whilst other pedals have them as well the boost function would allow me to simplify my pedalboard a bit. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
            I tried one a few months after they came out. I couldn't find a good setting. The highs are too damn ice pick like for my tastes.
            Interesting. Out of interest what other OD's do you generally go for? (so I can get an idea of reference)

I know ultimately I just need to get my hands on one to figure out if I like one. Trouble is no one I know has tried one, and few shops have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf View Post
              Interesting. Out of interest what other OD's do you generally go for? (so I can get an idea of reference)

I know ultimately I just need to get my hands on one to figure out if I like one. Trouble is no one I know has tried one, and few shops have them.
              As far as overdrives go, the MXR Wylde Overdrive is my favorite, especially after I modded mine to run at 18 volts (it adds more growl to the tone). But as far as distortion pedals go, the Bogner Extasy Red is my favorite.
              Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                As far as overdrives go, the MXR Wylde Overdrive is my favorite, especially after I modded mine to run at 18 volts (it adds more growl to the tone). But as far as distortion pedals go, the Bogner Extasy Red is my favorite.
                Cheers for that. I use the GT-OD a lot which wasn't a billion miles from the ZW to me. Anyway given the feedback I won't rush to get/try the Ice-9. Cheers again

Comment

i liked the ice 9. at the time i liked it because it was an overdrive that wasnt trying to sound like a tube screamer. i thought it was a little smoother and warmer.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I'm going to try one out when I have a free moment if I can find a place that stocks them. Some say it is TS derived (at least for one of the 2 voices at least). Anyway, now at £49 in some places online it sounds like it may be a steal - should I like it.

Cheers

Comment

You're sure it was not the Red one you tried???
                      The Ice 9 is pearl white and is kinda not bright...but a sweet od.....had no use for mine after I got the Super Sonic.
                      Only reason I sold it...nice od!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                        You're sure it was not the Red one you tried???
                        The Ice 9 is pearl white and is kinda not bright...but a sweet od.....had no use for mine after I got the Super Sonic.
                        Only reason I sold it...nice od!
                        Yeah, it was red. I didn't realize that there was another one, because after my experience VOX dirt boxes went on my ignore list.

Comment

The red is the Satchurator...needs the right kind of amp though....
                          Still have mine, modified it abit for fun back then...

Comment

Working...
                          X