• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Thanatopsis

• Thanatopsis
    replied
    Re: Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

I've been using a Rockmaster into Classic 60/60 power amp for almost a year now. I couldn't be happier. Never used the other two you mentioned. Only issue I had was a kinda cocked-wah sound and wanted a little more low-mids. Swapping coupling cap c14 from a .001uF to a .0022uF solved the problem for me. There's a couple others you can change(was going to do c17 next), but I was happy after just the first mod so I stopped there. I play metal and don't use the clean channel that often but can get a really nice clean sound from it. When I use it though it's going through my ancient GSP5 that I have running in the clean effects loop. Also have a Planet Waves, Boss SD-1, and MXR Smart Gate in front of the preamp, and a Joyo Analog Delay in the global effects loop.

Leave a comment:

• toneseeker74
    Toneologist

• toneseeker74
    replied

Yeah, the Rockmaster clips I have listened to sound good. And they are a lot easier to find than the TG Raxx or TB Raxx, that's for sure. I like the simplicity of the Raxx unit, however. Will probably pull the trigger on the first good deal I get, whether it's a Rockmaster or Raxx. Seems that resale prices are pretty stable if not rising, so not much risk if I decide to sell either one.

Leave a comment:

• saladin
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• saladin
    replied

Indeed, the Rockmaster is what you want. It's the preamp used in the original Ultra amp.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    King Midas to Cheap Guitars

• dominus
    replied

Go for the Rockmaster. It'll do everything from 70s to death metal.

Leave a comment:

• toneseeker74
    Toneologist

• toneseeker74
    started a topic Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

Anyone have experience with these? Lots of info out there about the Rockmaster, but not much on the TG/TB Raxx. Wondering about overdriven & distorted sounds only, already know the specs on each.

Raxx is supposed to have much less gain...does it max out at classic rock / classic 70's metal / 80's LA metal / 90's grunge levels of distortion?

I would like the simplicity of one of the Raxx units, but I want to make sure it will get up to 80's or 90's metal. I will be running the preamp into the front of a Traynor YBA-1 that will drive a 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's. Guitars are Strat with vintage pickups, SG with Seth Lovers, and Kramer Focus 2000 with Distortion Mayhem set.
Working...
X