Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are Boss Tremolos so expensive?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    Apparently the definition of tremolo is completely arbitrary anyway.
    Not with pedals. Only with amps and guitar bridges.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
      I own a Keeley modified BOSS Tremolo, for the music I do at the moment (lots of CCR), the pedal is integral to what I play. Really happy with the Keeley mods, can also use the Trem as a clean boost...
      That is a different beast! I'd love one of those.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Apparently the definition of tremolo is completely arbitrary anyway.
        Not in this thread it isn't.

Comment

BOSS PH-2 Super Phaser can be set for a very convincing tremolo effect. I used to use one waaaaay back when for CCR, but you gotta tweak it right.

(checks Ebay)
          ZOINKS! Prices on those are the same as the TR-2! Can you get crack by prescription these days or is it in the groundwater? Fugg a duck.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            BOSS PH-2 Super Phaser can be set for a very convincing tremolo effect. I used to use one waaaaay back when for CCR, but you gotta tweak it right.

(checks Ebay)
            ZOINKS! Prices on those are the same as the TR-2! Can you get crack by prescription these days or is it in the groundwater? Fugg a duck.
            An unmodified used TR2 fetches around $50, the PH2 seems to be quite a bit more than that (people pay more for the MIJ Boss pedals).
            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              Can you get crack by prescription these days or is it in the groundwater? Fugg a duck.
              I'll have to check with our mayor and get back to you . . .
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                That is a different beast! I'd love one of those.
                Actually they were well worth the money spent, the BOSS Tremolo was ok before the mods, now, it is a whole new animal!

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
                  An unmodified used TR2 fetches around $50, the PH2 seems to be quite a bit more than that (people pay more for the MIJ Boss pedals).
                  When I looked, they were both hitting $120+ used. I'm assuming Ace is looking at the MIJ and not the more recent "not made as good/not with same chip/that's why it costs more" models.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

I guess fiddy bones ain't that bad, it is rock solid as are all boss boxes.

I'm a trem snob. Sue me.

I just find it supremely meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I just find it supremely meh.
                      I've owned two or three of them and always end up ditching them because of that exact feeling. They do the job, but I was just never that impressed with the sound.

I like my Mooer Trellicopter a lot better.
                      Go Packers!

Comment

As a die-hard Boss fan, even I can appreciate the "extremely meh" feeling. I recently bought a used BYOC off RockStarNick, and it doesn't give the "meh" response. However, it isn't as versatile as the Boss, since the BYOC can't be dialed in for helicopter chop.

I keep the Tr-2 on my main board because 1) it's versatile and 2) it's reliable. I don't believe that "meh" can be detected out front.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                          I don't believe that "meh" can be detected out front.
                          true true

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                            I don't believe that "meh" can be detected out front.
                            But if it makes you feel "meh," that will definitely be detected out front.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                              I've owned two or three of them and always end up ditching them because of that exact feeling. They do the job, but I was just never that impressed with the sound.

I like my Mooer Trellicopter a lot better.
                              I'm a Mooer guy also. I've got the lo-fi machine, pure octave and the triangle fuzz and they all rock. I'm not sure what people who feel 'meh' about tremolo are expecting it to do. If you want something exceptionally sweet in the tremolo realm, you can always try a bias modulator.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I'm a Mooer guy also. I've got the lo-fi machine, pure octave and the triangle fuzz and they all rock.
                                I really like Mooer. I've got the Hustle Drive, Flex Boost, Trellicopter, Blues Crab, and Blue Faze. I would like to add the Green Mile, Black Secret, AnaEcho, Mod Factory and the tuner to my collection.

I'm not sure what people who feel 'meh' about tremolo are expecting it to do. If you want something exceptionally sweet in the tremolo realm, you can always try a bias modulator.
                                I'm not sure what it was about the Boss that I didn't like. I could get some good CCR sounds and stuff out of it, but I was never really inspired to use it except on CCR songs. I feel totally different about the Trellicopter, I'm inspired to use it, and frequently experiment with it on different songs at practice. I might even be guilty of overusing it...
                                Go Packers!

Comment

Working...
                                X