banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been selling off pedals lately... yet... playing more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Been selling off pedals lately... yet... playing more!

Online classifieds are the worst for getting low offers or a Boss DS-1 plus 20 bucks for my 250 dollar pedal haha
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Yeah, I'll scoop some on craigslist cheap and throw em on the bay and make a decent profit lol. Even sold a $20 classic od for $45.00 hehe.
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
        yeah that is wise... just judge people who do something different than you.

Seriously I'm sick of the purists thinking that Guitar->Amp is the only way to play.. Open your eyes and ears. I have heard amazing tones from just amp users and pedal into clean amp users. It is all preference so no need to "shake your head" at people who use pedals...
        never said my way is they only way. I stated my opinion. Ive had pedals boards the size of small countries. Been there. Players obsess over pedals like grown men salivating over Lego sets. They eventually become pedal players instead of guitar players. I know players who have and use so many pedals that they can't even answer to what type of power tubes their amp takes. But know all and every resister value in every pedal. So, I shake my head at them. If that comment makes some insecure about their pedal (ab)use, then that's on them.
        I'm entitleted to my analysis of something that I have direct relation to.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I typically find the Puritans are the ones who don't have the ability to focus on their pedal layout and understanding of each setting, so they grunt and go Caveman because it causes thinky pain, plug straight in, and declare it God's Truth.

There is no "light" to be "seen" by scaling back on outboard gear any more than there is in having a 100-space rack full of AxeFXs so you can have every conceivable combination at your fingertips and Steven Hawking controlling your pedalboard. Different is different. Straight-in for some is boring and done-to-death, and outboard options is the 64-box of Crayons. The 64-box of Crayons for some is 62 colors more than they need to do what they want to do, so straight-in gives them the two tones they like - clean and whatever they set their Gain to. It has nothing to do with penis size, testosterone levels, proficiency with the opposite sex, IQ, genetic superiority/inferiority, or artistic talent.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Love sparking a good debate! Just wish this one inspired some new and original rebuttals from the advocates

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              Love sparking a good debate! Just wish this one inspired some new and original rebuttals from the advocates
              I'm curious.... why do you dislike pedals so much ?

Personally I see them as tools for making music. Just Guitar>amp can get boring and stale FAST
              Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
              Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I don't hate pedals. I use three of them. Decimator, Polytune & Radial ABY LoL!
                What I don't like is the constant tweaking, internet scouring, personal debating and second guessing that comes with the pedal territory.

I prefer to maintain and utilize the three most prominent tone factors. Pickups, amplifiers & speakers. There is enough going on there to satisfy my tone urge and objective. I get a more pure and less convoluted result that way. Again, I came to this conclusion after a long and winding pedal road.

I won't tell players to not use pedals, but will applaud them for looking past them. Pedal junkies will forever crucify me for that. But that's what disagreeing with anothers opinion brings.
                Last edited by Van Noord; 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

What I don't like is the constant tweaking, internet scouring, personal debating and second guessing that comes with the pedal territory.

I prefer to maintain and utilize the three most prominent tone factors. Pickups, amplifiers & speakers. There is enough going on there to satisfy my tone urge and objective. I get a more pure and less convoluted result that way. Again, I came to this conclusion after a long and winding pedal road.
                  I won't tell players to not use pedals, but will applaud them for looking past them. Pedal junkies will forever crucify me for that. But that's what disagreeing with anothers opinion brings.
                  Fair enough.

There is no right or wrong. In my experience with gigging and seeing many other bands is that the best tones I have heard by far have been with pedals into a nice loud clean amp. Just my experience and opinion. I also find amp gain harsh and thin 90 percent of the time and I'm not talking low level amps...I have played JVMs, Mesas, Soldanos etc. But to make this clear that is MY preference and I'm not putting down anyone who does use amp gain...I like a very thick sound
                  Last edited by SongsForTheDeaf; 02-12-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
                    Fair enough.

There is no right or wrong. In my experience with gigging and seeing many other bands is that the best tones I have heard by far have been with pedals into a nice loud clean amp. Just my experience and opinion. I also find amp gain harsh and thin 90 percent of the time and I'm not talking low level amps...I have played JVMs, Mesas, Soldanos etc. But to make this clear that is MY preference and I'm not putting down anyone who does use amp gain...I like a very thick sound
                    Hmm, see and my experience has been the opposite. I find it easier to coax fat, thick gain tones from amps as opposed to pedals which always feel synthetic and thin to me. Meh, what evs.

Comment

Kudos to you for finding a muse in your amp. I'm still looking for mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I don't think that tweaking is a necessary component of having a lot (or even just a few) pedals. I have a bunch of stuff on my board, including a Strymon Timeline and Mobius, widely regarded as a tweaker's paradise. I tweaked them when I got them to set up patches that worked for what I needed out of the pedals. Whenever I feel like I need a different type of phase/flange/chorus/ice delay/tape delay/whatever, I go and make a new patch. But I only infrequently tweak them when playing with other people. I have everything set up on my board so that I only have to tweak it before I start playing to match whatever volume my amp is at. If I could figure out a way to make my knobs stop moving from coming in and out of my case, I'd be super stoked.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I have quite a few pedals, most of which I almost never use. Usually I have a dirt pedal or two in front of the amp and that is it. I have nothing against effects, analog or digital.

There is a certain snobbery that comes from people who brag about how they don't use effects. Face it, the friggin' distortion that comes from your amps is an effect. The people who designed electric guitars and amps didn't intend for them to be distorted in the way we use them. If you're able to get delay or flanger sounds out of your hands, more power to you. The rest of us mortals will use effects when needed.

This snobbery extends to players who tend to use an effected tone. The Edge and Tom Morrello are constantly being ripped on for not being good players, and I think it is only because they tend to us a lot of (or in the case of Morrello, are perceived to) use a lot of effects. Very few players have achieved a sound like either of them, where you can tell from the first note they play, who they are.

Those of you whose hands are made out of pure tone, I am in awe of all of the magic and mojo in your hands.
                          Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                            I have quite a few pedals, most of which I almost never use. Usually I have a dirt pedal or two in front of the amp and that is it. I have nothing against effects, analog or digital.

There is a certain snobbery that comes from people who brag about how they don't use effects. Face it, the friggin' distortion that comes from your amps is an effect. The people who designed electric guitars and amps didn't intend for them to be distorted in the way we use them. If you're able to get delay or flanger sounds out of your hands, more power to you. The rest of us mortals will use effects when needed.

This snobbery extends to players who tend to use an effected tone. The Edge and Tom Morrello are constantly being ripped on for not being good players, and I think it is only because they tend to us a lot of (or in the case of Morrello, are perceived to) use a lot of effects. Very few players have achieved a sound like either of them, where you can tell from the first note they play, who they are.

Those of you whose hands are made out of pure tone, I am in awe of all of the magic and mojo in your hands.
                            Yup. Let's plug our guitars into powered PA speakers with eq shelving and a digital verb and get the mother tone our predecessors were looking for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Funkfingers
                            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

You missed the point of that statement.
                              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

In my line of art and work, pedals are an essential element. The majority of my gigs involve interstate air travel, and I stopped relying on inconsistent hired back line many years ago, so I like to carry my tone creation tools with me. Since the gain structure requirements dictate that I have a broad range of gain available for instant changes, pedals provide the solution. I don't endure any suffering attached to constant tweaking or meddling, I have simply found the specific pedals that provide exactly what I'm after, adjust them to their optimum settings for their required purpose, and then play. I actually enjoyed the process of finding the right pedals, it wasn't a burden but a pleasure. From that point, no more searching was required, although I will always keep my mind open to the possibility of further tonal improvement.

We do a lot of large scale shows, and by the time the few millivolts of signal required at the FOH console meet the line array, the clean, overdriven and distorted signals from my amp and pedal setup are more than adequate to kick yer teeth in! Here's a shot from a gig a couple of weeks ago, and there's me and my pedals! Pic courtesy of Brett Kingman aka Burgerman.

Cheers…………………………………… wahwah
                                Highway Star
                                Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                                Mistreated
                                Cause We Ended As Lovers
                                Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                                Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Working...
                                X