First day with the Soul Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day with the Soul Food

Picked up an EHX Soul Food the other day from a nearby music store. I had one on order from Sweetwater, but they extended the backorder period, so I cancelled. Anyway, here's some first impressions...

I was surprised to find that they include a power supply with the pedal. So, pedal & power for 65 bucks...hard to beat that. There's quite a range of drive to this pedal, but I've found the lower drive settings the most useful in my rig. As you increase the drive, you also increase the mids. I wasn't expecting this, as I thought the Klon was billed as a more transparent overdrive. I guess you can only be so transparent.

The touch sensitivity of the SF is pretty cool. It feels good to play through it. That's the best way to describe it, I guess. It really responds to your pick attack.

Again, for my rig, the pedal seems a little too middy for me, particularly on the bridge pickup. My guitar is all korina & set up with 2 'buckers ala Gibson. An A4 equipped '59n & a regular '59b. My amp is an early 70s Traynor Reverb Master. I think this pedal would be better through a strat into a blackface type of setup. That's just my initial thoughts. I like the pedal well enough to keep experimenting with it, but it won't replace my OCD.

I did a little recording, a/b'ing the SF & the OCD. There is also delay and phase in there, but I still think you can hear the differences between the two pedals. The solo guitar starts with the Soul Food & alternates from there. You can hear the switch clicks when I switch pedals. Most of the time I'm on the neck pup, but toward the end (edit...actually I switch pups near the middle...but don't shut the phaser off until near the end) I switch to the bridge and shut off the phaser. This is when you can really hear how middy this pedal can be when compared to the OCD.

Here's a pic that shows how the pedals were set when I did the recording:

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	5832275

and the recording:
    Last edited by BrianS.; 02-15-2014, 05:43 PM.

Re: First day with the Soul Food

Where's the fried chicken?

Comment

I definitely hear what you're talking about towards the end .... very middy compared to the OCD.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Theres a mod out there JFS I believe does it for more bass and that. I like the clean boost side of it. My fender cleans sound awesome. I like the low gain side of the pedal also.
        tone slut
        Marshall DSL 40C
        Fender EVH Striped Series
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
        Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
          I wasn't expecting this, as I thought the Klon was billed as a more transparent overdrive. I guess you can only be so transparent.

The touch sensitivity of the SF is pretty cool. It feels good to play through it. That's the best way to describe it, I guess. It really responds to your pick attack.
          And there is some knowledge there. Anytime anything is billed as "The most" or "the best" I tend to be skeptical. Is it REALLY?

When you listen with your EARS instread of read it on the internet, and ignore the price tag - amazing things can be found!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You're using humbuckers. I rarely, if ever, play my humbucker guitars through my Klon Klones. Those guitars sound fat enough already - without any pedals.

What my Klon Klones do spectacularly well is beef up Strat or Tele single coil pickups and put them into humbucker territory tone wise. And I can use the volume control of my Strat or Tele to clean the tone up again.

I know some guys do use the Klon circuit with humbuckers but I don't.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The KLON was originally design for the man to get his fender to break up at reasonable levels, which it does for my twin if I want low gain stuff. And I use humbuckers Clean boost is sweet also.
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                The KLON was originally design for the man to get his Fender to break up at reasonable levels...
                Yep. And that's what I use it for.

The Soul Food does add mids, girth and output to Fender Single Coils to make them sound more like humbuckers.

Since humbuckers already have that midrange girth and output, for me it seems redundant to add even more with a pedal...unless that's the sound you're going for.

If it is, by all means have fun and use your Klon Klone or Soul Food with humbuckers.

But I don't. I just use it to make my single coils sound more like humbuckers.
                Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My new twin is dying for some single coil cleans!!!!
                  tone slut
                  Marshall DSL 40C
                  Mogami cables

Comment

I just got mine today, finally came in.

Messed with it only a tiny bit. I used my Tele and was pretty impressed, very responsive
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I had a 50's era Gibson Melody Maker in the shop the other day that I plugged into the Soul Food. Sounded pretty cool. As has been said already, this pedal seems best used with single coils.

I'd be great if someone would post a sound clip using the Soul Food with single coils...might make this thread more useful.

Comment

I use humbuckers only but I'm going to pick one of these up. I need a low gain breakup pedal right now.

Quick question but does it take normal 9 volt adapter ? Like a one spot ? I just want to know if I can daisy chain it.

The Prymaxe demo sounded sweet which led me to get one, I have never played a klon or klone before.
                        Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                        Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                        Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

One spot works, funny though the adapter is 9.6 V
                          tone slut
                          Marshall DSL 40C
                          Mogami cables

Comment

It takes the normal 9v barrel plug. It sounds equally great with humbuckers and single coils, depending on what sound you are going for. I love it on my strat and my tele, and I love it on my Gretsch 5120, and I loved it when the rhythm guitarist in my band used it with his Les Paul. Warren Haynes uses an original Klon a lot with his Les Pauls.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

I love a lot of mids so I will be at home with this Pedal I think.

Right now I am just using my Wampler Triple Wreck with the volume pedal eased back for breakup tones which sounds good but I want something footswitchable and possibly something to always keep on.
                              Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                              Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                              Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Working...
                              X