Pedal connector cables...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal connector cables...

Those 6 inch pedal connector cables come in all sorts of price ranges. Is there really a 20 dollar difference in sound from Hosa, Fender, D'Addario, Live Wire, Planet Waves, Mogami 6 inch couplers? Gold jacks, metal jacks, neutrik, etc...

Do you believe you get what you pay for with this kind of thing? And why is a 6 inch cable like 15 dollars while a 12 foot cable by the same company is only fifteen dollars more?
    Last edited by wickenspoet; 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM.

Re: Pedal connector cables...

its a small amount of cable in comparison

I went with planet waves on sale for like $35, you can customize lengths which I needed since I have a decimator so that entails a loop

it is $40 now: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...oard-cable-kit

Solderless plugs connect to cable in seconds, creating exact required lengths easily
    24k gold-plated plugs for improved signal flow and corrosion resistance
    Patented compression springs
    Double-insulated cable employs braided copper shield and metalized polyester foil inner shield for 100% shielding coverage

we are all audiophiles on this forum

some people CRINGE if you spend an extra $30 on a cable, and then they go and buy like a million pedals and pickups

Comment

this:
      The guitar cable of choice among those who know the difference is Mogami W2524. And the cost is suprisingly affordable allowing you to employ the same cable used by the best live acts and recording studios in the world.

plus a couple of these:
      The X series heavy duty professional right angle phone plug improves on the design of the existing C series by offering the thinnest available A-gauge 1/4' plug with unique Neutrik chuck type strain relief on the market.

Comment

Most highend cables sound noticably better and usually have warranties...
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

GUITAR cable shootouts:

Last edited by everdrone; 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Disregard the ultra-cheap ones, but when you get above $6 +/-, I don't think the expensive ones make enough difference sound-wise to justify the cost. JMO Maybe they'll last longer, but not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
              speaker cable shootouts:
              That's GUITAR cables, not speaker cables.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

GUITAR cables

Comment

I just recently spent some serious money on some patch cables, and I also won a Planet Waves kit from a contest here on the forum. I've also used the junk Hosa brand ones and Rat-Shack ones. They all sound the same with a buffer in front, but the higher dollar ones have better connectors that last longer, and can be serviced if need be. Molded ends are unacceptable to me for the most part these days.
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                    ... They all sound the same with a buffer in front...
                    I guess that's the point. When using a good buffer, differences are little to none, turn it off though and the differences might reappear..
                    Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                      I guess that's the point. When using a good buffer, differences are little to none, turn it off though and the differences might reappear..
                      Depending on your first pedal, it might always be on. I use a wireless at my main gig, so it's always buffered, and with a Boss tuner first up on my other board, there is always a buffer.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                        Depending on your first pedal, it might always be on. I use a wireless at my main gig, so it's always buffered, and with a Boss tuner first up on my other board, there is always a buffer.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
                        Yep, that's a good setup for little tone-loss by cables, I am just curious for someone who has lots of different brands to try the differences for a board with only a couple of True-bypass pedals, I guess that would be a good comparison to check the cable-quality itself. Although the cable-quality will often not be the high-end limiting factor for those who use buffers...
                        Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Hosa has two lines of connectors. The rounded ones I found to be inferior, the line noise was too much for me. The Hosa cables with the square heads I have found to be awesome. I have a long pedal chain and there is zero noise and no sacrifice of tone. They are also reasonably priced.

Bad

Good

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            Hosa has two lines of connectors. The rounded ones I found to be inferior, the line noise was too much for me. The Hosa cables with the square heads I have found to be awesome. I have a long pedal chain and there is zero noise and no sacrifice of tone. They are also reasonably priced.

Bad

Good

Did you forget about these?

Even the low profile metal ends are better than those...

Comment

Adding more and more cable to your signal is always concerning. As mentioned, a good buffer pedal can and will aleviate the resulting drawbacks from elongating signal lines.
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
                              X