Backup wah suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup wah suggestions?

I need a backup wah. My RMC wah needs a visit to the wah doctor. I want something cheap with good bass response and a 9v jack. Needs to be crybaby sized or close. I'm hard on wahs and it always seems to be the pedal that goes south on me so a backup would be worth it.

Any suggestions?

sigpic

Re: Backup wah suggestions?

Personally I would look for a used Vox 847 and you can mod it to your liking if it doesn't have the sound you are looking for. I have 4. I personally like the old Thomas Organ Company Wahs. Both of mine have been modded pretty extensively, but they sound great. My third one is a Vox Clyde McCoy which sounded really god out of the box. My 4th one is an 847 that has been modded as well. The Voc wahs are pretty stable and the worst case is the on/off switch can go bad if you are hard on wahs, but thats pretty easy to fix.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

cae
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Which RMC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have a Mini Morley it is bullet-proof, 9 volt and it is made for bass and guitar so it has a lot of bottom. It is actually smaller and more board friendly than a crybaby. IMO it has more range and sweep than the Dunlop and has a more vocal quality.

Here is my review

Last edited by Securb; 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

It's an RMC Wizard Wah.

I may just be stupid and not troubleshooting a hum problem properly, but i am worried that i may have broken something or maybe the switch is having problems. It's a fantastic wah pedal, but I may have to send it back to Teese to have him check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a lead on a cheapo slightly used crybaby that may do the trick. I like the idea of a switchless wah though, so I may look at a Morley.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              I have a Mini Morley it is bullet-proof, 9 volt and it is made for bass and guitar so it has a lot of bottom. It is actually smaller and more board friendly than a crybaby. IMO it has more range and sweep than the Dunlop and has a more vocal quality.

Here is my review

How wide is that wah, is it wider than a crybaby?

Also that is not the switchless one, right, (the Maverick i think it's called?)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                How wide is that wah, is it wider than a crybaby?

Also that is not the switchless one, right, (the Maverick i think it's called?)
                No that is not the switchless. I know there are a few models including the Steve Via Bad Horsie that are switchless. It is a bit wider than a crybaby but much shorter. The thing I like best about the Morley is the deep range of motion and tone in the pedal. It is very throaty and dark.

Comment

morleys will never wear out. Ive just sold off my collection of 4 inductor based wahs (crybaby hendrix, gcb95- both modified for true bypass etc, a vintage vox wah swell and a CAE) and only kept my morley pro series II. They sell for about 40 bucks second hand on ebay, so they are clearly not the cork sniffer's choice, but it works and always sounds good and does its job with no fuss (or scratching noises). The sweep is also much wider and easier to control than any inductor based wah. The only downside is that its a lot bigger than a crybaby's footprint width wise.

here is something i did a couple months back in a live recording session using a morley morley fwiw:

wah solo starts at around halfway thru.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-24-2014, 01:32 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X