banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: EHX English Muff'n ... Which tubes? How about 12AU7's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: EHX English Muff'n ... Which tubes? How about 12AU7's?

Hi guys,

I've got this pedal through a trade with a local guitar player. He said this pedal is sorta trebly and a bit harsh. He used 12AU7's intead of the stock 12AY7's. This is cool with me.

So any experience with that pedal? Which tubes?

BTW I have a ****ing tendonitis in my left index finger! I have not touched my guitars since the beginning of February. It is getting better but still.. Hence the gool old way to find the answer for myself has to wait a bit.

Best,

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: NPD: EHX English Muff'n ... Which tubes? How about 12AU7's?

I love mine. It's unfortunately malfunctioning right now so I haven't been using it. As for the tubes, I have no idea. I can tell you thay with gain on zero and volume maxed it gives a fantastic clean sound for recording.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

It can get very shrieky if you don't back off the treble

But that's what the EQ is for, tweaks!

Some guys use 12AX7s

I tried... Very noisy.

I like the stock (both 12AY7sI believe, tho it claimed it had a 12AX7) EH ones just fine

Just tweak the EQ and remember that dimed gain isn't always a good thing
      Originally posted by Jay 77
      Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Comment

Cool!

Thanks.

B

Comment

I ended up using a 12AX7 on the left and 12AU7 on the right. The left tube somehow has to do with the output. And with a 12AU7 the output was kinda low. The right tube, on the other hand, determines the gain and how crunchy the pedal is... 12AU7 is cool, I don't need too much gain.

Here is how it sounds:

My left index finger still hurts. So that's why I was obliged to play with my slide.

Here are the details:

- Guitar: 2007 Gibson Melody Maker; first the neck position, Duncan Little 59N, followed by the bridge position, Duncan Brobucker; Mesa Boogie V-Twin used as a preamp in the green (clean) channel; EHX English Muff'n; Serene Boost; RedWirez Marshall 1960 Greenback Cabsim...
          - Antress Modern Limiter, EQ, Spacer; Classic Compressor
          - Cubase
          - EMU 1616m

B

Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X