banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MJM fuzz boxes . . . are they any good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJM fuzz boxes . . . are they any good ?

Quick question ;

. . . I know nothing about this brand.

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

Are the MJM fuzz units any good . . . or are there 'better' Tonebender clones out there for less money ?

I am looking at the MJM Brit Bender (2 and 3 knob versions) and the London Fuzz.

Any info will be great !

Thanx
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: MJM fuzz boxes . . . are they any good ?

I've got an old Ge London Fuzz... Its my favorite one. Fulltone '70 a close 2nd

Comment

Sure, they are good.

Are the "better" than others...thats all up to you, your ears and frankly your wallet!

I very much prefer my BMF or AnalogMan Fuzz Faces over the MJM London but that's not at all to say the London is a bad unit and I prefer my BMF and JMI Tone Benders to the MJM's that I have tried but again thats just my personal take on things.

Old fuzz pedals are no different than old wahs, plexi Marshalls tweed Fenders and PAF's...all the originals varied so much that as people try to clone them they end up using their personal favorite example of a vintage unit as their own benchmark so we end up with dozens of MK II Tone Benders for example, all claiming to be a dead on reproduction and all having their own character.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

This is my 2-knobber. There's nothing startling about it's manufacture, if anything it looks more than a little 'homegrown'. It works well enough though. As an effect, it's not exactly to my taste, but that's down to me, not the pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	5776304

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	5776305
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Thanx guys !

So i take it, the only diffs between the 2 & 3 knob versions are the tone knob ?
          Or is there extra mojo in the 3nobber, because it have more knobs ?
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

As far as I know it's just the addition of the tone knob. I'm sure there will be some effect on the sound just from the presence of the additional component(s), but I've no experience of what that would be. Of course, that may help it go up to 11...
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I own a Foxey Fuzz and it's the best. MJM has seriously good stuff
               Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

The 2 knob is a MK II style and the 3 knob is a MK III style. There are more differences than just the tone knob.

I like the MK II best myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  The 2 knob is a MK II style and the 3 knob is a MK III style. There are more differences than just the tone knob.

I like the MK II best myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Christian

Comment

They sounded pretty close to te real deal in the demos.
                    I know Way Huge is coming out with the Havalina this year. Supposed te be Tripps take on a 3 knob Tonebender.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                      They sounded pretty close to te real deal in the demos.
                      I know Way Huge is coming out with the Havalina this year. Supposed te be Tripps take on a 3 knob Tonebender.
                      Thanks for the heads up !

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                        Thanks for the heads up !
                        No problem. I'm really looking forward to this one as Way Huge makes some awesome stuff imo.

Comment

Working...
                        X