Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boss cs-3 compressor

hi guys,
    any of you guys use a boss cs-3 compressor, I would like to know what your attack knob is set at ???????
    personally, when I turn the attack knob anti clockwise or full clockwise, I can not really hear what is happening, hope to hear your comments soon,
    all the best, bluesfloyd,

Re: boss cs-3 compressor

He bluesfloyd.

I indeed have a Boss compressor. Not my first. Also spent much time in the 80's using an MXR Dynacomp.

The "attack" knob determines WHEN the effect kicks in. If it is set to the far right, there is a long time before the 'compression' sets in. What this means is that you will hear the initial response of the note in its full sonic glory. All the way to the left and the compression sets in almost immediately, meaning the sound of the note will quashed instantly.

If your picking and pickup are fairly even, this may make no difference, or if it is before after a raging distortion. However, if you pick very differently, have a string that is "boomy" or are playing clean it should be very noticeable.

I set it where it sounds good for the effect I want. For example, on my acoustic, I set it somewhere between 10 and 12 on the clock. I also set the sustain rather low.

Currently I use a Monte Allums CS-3 modded Boss CS-3. If I wanted major "squish" I'd go with an MXR Dynacomp.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

hi aceman,
      big thanks for your reply, you explain the attack thing clearly, I will try my cs-3 out through a clean setting and listen closely, you mention your sustain level is set low, what about 9 oclock ??????
      just one more thing, have you ever use a boss cs-2 compressor, a few guys here in the uk say they are the best compressor ever made, I am most interested what you think, and input from other forum members,
      all the best, bluesfloyd.

Comment

A CS-2 is generally considered to be a "better" comp than a CS-3. My comment is most do what they are supposed to IF you know how to set the knobs. That is something very few know how to do well. It takes a little research to get the basics of attack/sustain/limiting/compression ratio/hard-soft knee. And then there is getting the right comp for the job. There are compressors that are very "effect" and produce a very noticeable squash, pluck, cluck, quash or whatever you want to call it. There are others that can be very subtle and impart no color at all.

80's pop or country chicken picked': You want EFFECT (MXR) Think Police "Every Breath"
        Subtle Acoustic styling and placing an interment nicely in the mix: Transparency and control (Keeley, Wampler)

I find the CS a nice solid all around compressor honestly, and it can do whatever you need, and most haters just have no idea what it does or how to use it. Which raises the question; What are YOU looking to do?

There are a few really good compressor threads in here. Someone here said what I think to be the best compressor advice ever (and how I use one): Set it to the place where you can just tell that it is working. Then turn it down/back just a bit. No one will know it is there, except they will think you sound awesome.

Comment

hi aceman,
          thank you again for your detailed reply, I have had my cs-3 for about a year, got it modded here in the UK, It does sound better, but did not really understand the attack knob thing, but with your input that's sorted now, I bought the cs-3 instead of the cs-2 because I like to buy brand new and the cs-2 would be second hand, but you confirms like the guys here in the UK that the cs-2 rates quite high, I will keep on with the cs-3 and get it working spot on, but one day I will get the cs-2 and by then with better trained hears hopefully hear the differences, and learn why its rated high,
          all the best, bluesfloyd,

Comment

I don't the a CS-2 is THAT good that I would go out of my way to get one. There are a number of newer compressors that I would get such as the Wampler Ego, a 4 knob Keeley, or Pigtronix that would be as good/better and likely cheaper IMO.

Comment

hi aceman,
              thanks for recommending the above pedals,
              all the best, bluesfloyd.

Comment

Working...
              X