banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOT ANOTHER FUZZFACE THREAD! Just 1 question. You will know or not! HONEST!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT ANOTHER FUZZFACE THREAD! Just 1 question. You will know or not! HONEST!!

Hello,
    The story: In '67-'68, i bought a SILVER/GREY, hammered metal FuzzFace. It had very short, flat and wide, wide knobs. They had 3. No other color. It said Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face in the smile. I left the "fuzz" on 1-2 and the gain ( volume ) on 10. When that slammed into my 50 watt bassman blackface head to 2-JBL 12" speakers, although I was a s**t player, the tone was like the end of the world to me.
    Here comes the setup: It was stolen. So I went back, and all they had now were red and other color fuzzfaces, they all had ugly, tall and narrow knobs. Something else was in the smile, but I don't remember. They were all smooth, no hammered look any more, it also seemed smaller in circumference. When I played it, set like my " old " one, it sounded muddy, No edge, 0, I mean 0 attack, as if my tone was covered in oatmeal, and you may quote me on that if you feel like it. No setting could be found that was even acceptable. I had to wait for the first MXR Distortion + before I ever got close again.
    Here is the question: For ALL of the FUZZFACE geniusus and historians; Does this tell you, or lead you to strongly believe, my original hammered gold F.F. was Gemanium, or Silicon.
    The new ones all sound like s**t to me, as all the you tube vids are so amaturish, they don't even try that position, and I am too disabled to get to Guitar Center to even try 'em out that way myself.
    I eagerly and in advance, await a possible "for sure" answer. I am aware that may not be possible. But I thank you so much anyway for at least reading this.
    Steve Buffington-61 yrs. old this month.

T
    Last edited by SJ318; 03-04-2014, 01:39 AM. Reason: forgot-wrong color

Re: NOT ANOTHER FUZZFACE THREAD! Just 1 question. You will know or not! HONEST!!

If you bought a Fuzz Dace new in 67/68 it was Germanium no question. That's all there was at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: NOT ANOTHER FUZZFACE THREAD! Just 1 question. You will know or not! HONEST!!

/thread
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The other thing to remember is that older fuzz faces varied wildly in their spec because the components used weren't very close to tolerance. You could play 20 different fuzz faces and get 20 different sounding pedals at the same setting. Germanium transistors are awesome, but wildly different from one another in response characteristics (you might have to sort through 10 of them to find one with the gain levels you're looking for). Stv's suggestion is to not expect to have your old setting work the same way on new pedals . . . you'll probably have to play with them a bit to get it similar sounding.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

just get an Analogman NKT275 Red Dot version Fuzz Face clone. Those things sing like crazy. Probably the closest you'll get to your old stolen pedal. Other fuzz face Germaniun style pedals tend to sound flat compared to Analogmans from my experience. If your looking for something no quite as intense, and that cleans up well with the guitars volume knob, get yourself the White dot version.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Definitely Germanium, definitely no way to nail down the tone of that FF as they were all over the place, tonewise. Silicon FFs may do ya. You may want to look at a Tone Bender 2 too. It's similar, only more wikked gainz on tap due to another gain stage. If you want an arrogant Rolling Stones sound, that's a Companion Fuzz, or the new EHX Satisfaction fuzz.
            Originally posted by Funkfingers
            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
              Definitely Germanium, definitely no way to nail down the tone of that FF as they were all over the place, tonewise. Silicon FFs may do ya.
              good point JTAG. I think the silicone may not spark his remembrance of that spitty Ge tone?
              The deal with the Analogman, is that they went through a bunch of bunch of old Ge fuzzfaces, and found the ones that sounded best as the prototypes for their Fuzz faces, so I don't think its really that necessary to have one that sounds exactly like his old one.Its going to sounds like one of the best old Fuzz Faces.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

For what it's worth, I have the Dunlop Hendrix, Eric Johnson, and Joe Bonamassa signature Fuzz Faces.

Based on what you seem to want, I'd suggest the Joe Bonamassa version. It's Germanium, but it's fatter and cleaner than most others. The Eric Johnson is the fuzziest and most sputtery.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thank You,
                  If must have been the germanium then. I did take that odd looking (to me) red F.F. back and tried out every one they had. I had mine for about 3 years, always sounded great, never "bumble bee fuzzy". All the new ones I tried, even the new, at the time, tone bender, and by then there were 2 more rock music stores open, None sounded worth a s**t. The tone bender was better, but just didn't quite get it. That one lone pedal was like a Marshall in a box!
                  All the others were fuzzy w/vol up and fuzz nearly off. They all sounded bad and I must have tweaked em for hours at all three stores. I will end this now before it becomes a "thread" per se and plug VooDoo lab w/thier sparkle drive, I can get a great sound for rhythm on any amp I've tried with thier clean-gain mix even on a transister amp turned low and w/ my second S. Drive as a booster dial in any type of grit or transparent sound and boost that signal to whatever I hear in my head. Dare I even say I can get into Klon territory with one Sparkle Drive set with lots of clean boost with a touch of grit without reprisal? Yes, I tried T-Rex double pedals, Jeckle & Hyde, at least 4 big name double "fuzz"/boost pedals, but those 2 S.Drives together are a killer for me. Found my pick ups, my pedals, (still love my Miscro-Vibe), but still want to buy and do over allmost every guitar I see. Exceptions being some great R.I.'s from Fend. & Gibson!
                  Got to look at Analogue, mostly always good reviews for all thier stuff, and that point about the Bonnamassa F.Face makes sense as my old one had that exact kind of "edge" I hear in my head when remembering it. Although with any gear that Joe wants at his fingertips from month to month, or day to day, hard to tell what he's got on or off at any given time. THANKS for all your input, the whole lot o' youse guys!
                  Steve Buffington.

Comment

The Bona Fuzz Face is cool but is VERY low gain, lower gain than any vintage Fuzz Face you'll find.

The thing to remember is that in the old days there was no matching going on so from unit to unit the tone varied greatly.

Also worth a note, the way you describe using it, (full volume, very low fuzz) is not the norm and due to the way a Fuzz Face operates most new clones might not sound good at all running that way.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                    X