best way to permanently attach pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to permanently attach pedals

every time i open my pedal board, its a mess! Pedals and wires everywhere! they are supposed to be attached with those velco strips but they are useless, i have a couple of heavy pedals. I'm thinking of making/having made a rock soilid new board/case and want to make sure the pedals are secure! how should i go about this?
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Re: best way to permanently attach pedals

A piece of acoustic foam, like Pedaltrain uses, will keep everything in place when the case is closed.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

There's a huge difference in the quality of velcro. Are you using something industrial strength?
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

The bike chain method is the best semi-permanent method I have found.

http://www.effectsbay.com/2009/11/th...oard-mounting/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image009-300x225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	5776329

Comment

no im just using the strips that came with it lol the board is just a cheapo stagg so the velcro is probably not the best. great idea with the foam! never thought about that. I have a cry baby which i had to take the rubber feer off and even then, the screws still made a gap big enough for the velcro not to stick. what's the best was to attach a cry baby?

Comment

realtyviking thats EXACTLY the kind of thing iwas thinking of, thanks!

Comment

Good quality Velcro always works... Stagg quality velcro will not obviously...
              Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Using higher quality strips of velcro, and wrapping them over parts of the sides of the pedals makes for a better fitting to the board, in my experience. I have never had much success with the velcro that came with anything, even my Pedaltrain board.

Comment

Don't stick on the Velcro!!! The sticky stuff just doesn't work.

All you have to do is take and cut four squares of regular Velcro; they can vary from 1/2" to 3/4" to 1" squares depending on how much hold you need or how heavy the pedal is. Remove the screws from the bottom of your pedals. Take a small awl (I used the one on my Swiss Army knife) and punch a small hole in the center of each Velcro patch. Insert the screw into the Velcro (it should be hard to get the screw through the Velcro) and then put the screws back into the pedals. Et voila! If the hole is too large, it might pull through and not hold; if you need to, you can use a small washer to increase the size of the pressure area under the screw.

I use small strips of Velcro to tack down my cables, keeping the routing nice and neat. I have been doing this since about 1980 and I have NEVER had a pedal come off a board, even when I was using just an old piece of 9-ply birch shelving and no case to carry it in. I've upgraded a few years ago to the Furman SPB-8 with the carry bag, and again, no issues at all. And I can get the pedals off the board when I want to, without pulling any muscles--too much Velcro is not necessarily a good thing. LOL!

I know there are lots of other ways to do it, but this system works well for me. Good Luck!

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

dip your pedalboard into a vat of epoxy.

disclaimer: dipping your pedalboard into a vat of epoxy is not recommended because it will likely cover everything in epoxy rendering your switches useless, your knobs useless, your LEDs useless, your wah useless, and your pedalboard useless. But them pedals ain't goin nowhere. Also, I cannot be held responsible if a freak accident occurs and the epoxy reacts with the latent charge in the capacitors and creates a horrific fx-pedal monster that can shoot epoxy lasers from its teeth and is able to speak solely in riffs from stairway to heaven and smoke on the water.

Comment

The Industrial stuff has never let me down.......
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	51gDeLcPFtL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	5776335
                      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]51621[/ATTACH]
                        That's exactly what I use, actual Velcro brand Velcro.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
                          The bike chain method is the best semi-permanent method I have found.

http://www.effectsbay.com/2009/11/th...oard-mounting/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51607[/ATTACH]
                          I like his idea, except for the part about using fender washers. I will accept nothing less than high-quality gibson washers.

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]51621[/ATTACH]
                            me neither...
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll get some decent velcro and use foam to hold them in place. I will try that chain method when my new board is built!

Comment

Working...
                              X