Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

    http://proguitarshop.com/lovepedal-bonetender.html

    Has anyone heard this Tone Bender 'clone' before ?
    Does it sound accurate as a clone ?

    Are there better ones in this price range ?

    If so . . . please mention some names.

    Thanks to all.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


    "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

  • #2
    Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

    this one looks cool too:
    http://www.ramblefx.com/#!twin-bender/cjg9
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

      Black Arts has to have something based on the MK2 circuit. I know the Ritual is based on a Colorsound circuit but it might be mk1 or the overdriver. Devi Ever Ruby is close. May check Walrus Audio and Death by Audio too.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

        Never been a Tone Bender fan ... and I had an original one!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

          I have an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper myself. It's a quite bit brighter than the original (but it does come with a tone control) and has a tighter bottom end. Very usable, but wouldn't recommended it if you're going for something that's as close as can be to the original.
          The Ramble FX version sounds killer to me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

            Thanx guys . . . keep 'em coming !
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


            "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

              I use a Throbak StoneBender. It gets me the Jimmy Page tones, so I'm happy with it.
              Oh no.....


              Oh Yeah!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                I'm surprised Catalinbread doesn't have one. They have the RAH pedal that simulated that, as well as other gadgets at the Zep Royal Albert Hall sound.
                I'm a little surprised how expensive clones are. The D.A.M. pedals are astonishingly expensive, as is the Throbak.

                I guess I shouldn't be. There ain't much in the way of guts in a Tone Bender mk2 but there sure is a lot of mojo.
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                  no pedals worth 160,000$ in my opinion unless there's star power associated to it like Hendrix , Eric Clapton , SRV or someone who really redefined rock and roll / metal used it on a record or a legendary show. With the way things are now I don't see any point in buying a pedal for more than 300$. So many guys make pedals we're bound to stumble across something we want and of course all the accurate re-issues out there guys are making.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                    I dunno. Some of them are probably worth more than others. I don't use them because they all seem to share the same quirk ... they all make the sound go fuzzy. When someone works out how to make them so they don't do that, i'd pay good money for one.
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

                    STALKER NO STALKING !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                      I dunno. Some of them are probably worth more than others. I don't use them because they all seem to share the same quirk ... they all make the sound go fuzzy. When someone works out how to make them so they don't do that, i'd pay good money for one.

                      Don'tcha just hate that !

                      Why can we not have just clear, undistorted fuzz pedals ?


                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


                      "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                        Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                        I'm surprised Catalinbread doesn't have one. They have the RAH pedal that simulated that, as well as other gadgets at the Zep Royal Albert Hall sound.
                        I'm a little surprised how expensive clones are. The D.A.M. pedals are astonishingly expensive, as is the Throbak.

                        I guess I shouldn't be. There ain't much in the way of guts in a Tone Bender mk2 but there sure is a lot of mojo.
                        If you consider the price of good GE transistors it makes sense. Yes, the individual transistors aren't exorbitantly expensive (though they are compared to silicon) but you have to buy them in big batches in the hopes that you get good and useable transistors. That (and the builder's ear when tuning the fuzz to the transistors) is what you're paying for.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                          Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          If you consider the price of good GE transistors it makes sense. Yes, the individual transistors aren't exorbitantly expensive (though they are compared to silicon) but you have to buy them in big batches in the hopes that you get good and useable transistors. That (and the builder's ear when tuning the fuzz to the transistors) is what you're paying for.
                          Yes, this is true. One of the famous boutique companies need to regularize piggyback silicon trannies in their GE style pedals so people start dialing them in.
                          As far as clean pedals, there's a lot of them Crusty. I'm trying to trade of a zendrive clone that I would have no problem using as a preamp into a speaker sim and PA. The Klod Hentai is supposed to be non fuzzy too.

                          Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Funkfingers
                          Music is for life. Without parole.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                            Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                            Black Arts has to have something based on the MK2 circuit.

                            I know the Ritual is based on a Colorsound circuit but it might be mk1 or the overdriver. Devi Ever Ruby is close.
                            May check Walrus Audio and Death by Audio too.


                            MMMmm . . . do you know which model that is ?
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


                            "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Could this $160.00 fuzz be any good ?

                              Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                              MMMmm . . . do you know which model that is ?
                              I would have thought they did, but it looks like the Ritual is based on the one knob fuzz, the Pharoah is a Muff and the rest are various fuzz circuits stuck together. No actual Tone Bender circuit in there, it looks like.
                              Originally posted by Funkfingers
                              Music is for life. Without parole.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X