Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: two compressors

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I could see using two compressors with one at the beginning of the chain and one at the end. Would it be my tonal choice, no. However I could see how it someone would be inclined to do so. It would probably give an incredibly tight focused sound.
    See - I get this….

Guitar/technicque out of sack, Comp 1 fixes

One of the fx goofs sound again, differently, comp2 at end fixes.

But i put a comp in line that lets the attack through, and one that slams it down, then it is put down.
    If I run a parallel signal, the attack gets through period. Doesn't matter what the other comp does.
    Slam the attack on the first comp, there is no attack to be effected by the second one.

Two comps in parallel or back to back = FAIL logically to me. Or at least it isn't any more win than just one or none.

Maybe two different comps, one that is good at attack and one for sustain, ok.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm guessing that here there's a big difference between live/home and studio use...

Comment

If you look at what Twilight was saying about the settings of the first one, it's not very harsh. The second one is doing most of the work. Doing it this way means one unit isn't working so hard, which results in a very noticeable effect, to where it's an "effect" and not an "end-result".

Looking at it in terms of an OD into a Distortion (OD first, set low, into a Distortion set high), and it's easy to see why it's confusing, but think of it as the pre-wash before the scrubbers instead.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Two comps at once is completely understandable, providing you know what you're doing.

Example: the first comp has a slow attack and long release, just for adding sustain. Second comp is a peak limiter. Or vise versa.

Forcing one comp to do both jobs isn't always the best idea, since they all have different strengths and weaknesses. A Dyna Comp would make a terrible limiter, for example, but it's perfect for that super-obvious chicken pickin' thing.

Another possibility: one comp is set very light and is always left on for subtle levelling/sustaining/signal fattening. The other does a big obvious squash as needed. I could see someone using a Barber Tone Press or Xotic SP Compressor as their always-on, and a Dyna or CS-3 as their mega-squasher.

If a compressor is killing your dynamics, either you're using the wrong comp, or you don't know how to dial it in. Same goes for two comps.

Three at once ... I'm having trouble picturing that, but I'm sure someone could make a good case for it.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I had a compressor pedal once. I had no idea how to make it work right. I still don't know how they work. I can't imagine what I would do with two!

Comment

I'm still waiting on my two compressors explanation?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I'm still waiting on my two compressors explanation?!?!?!?!?!
                Since being alive in the 80s (still not sure why this decade is key) is enough to make one an expert, we were hoping YOU would explain it to us.
                Besides, it already HAS been explained ... you are either choosing to ignore it, failing to do your own research, or are pimping your post count.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

TO: you specified that you use this set-up when reamping. Would this be somethin you'd use live or strictly for recording purposes? I know very little about comps and don't try to hide this... I'm quite curious...
                  Last edited by Surgeon; 03-17-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                    TO: you specified that you use this set-up when reamping. Would this be somethin you'd use live or strictly for recording purposes? I know very little about comps and don't try to hide this... I quite curious...
                    That's a very good question.
                    Absolutely for recording, no question about it. Even if not used during tracking, there is bound to be at least 2 compressors, one for averaging peaks on the buss itself and a peak limiter ... So you are hearing at least 2 stages of compression there, maybe more.
                    Thing to remember about compression ratios is that they are counterintuitive; the higher the compression ratio, the LESS it is affecting your entire signal. A 4:1 ratio for example is looking for peaks that exceed a threshold by at least 4dB. A low compression ratio of 1.25:1 is looking for less variance and will in turn affect more of the average signal coming through.
                    So in some cases a higher ratio with a slow attack and high threshold will just kiss the peaks, whereas a lower threshold after that can tame the overall level and 'glue' the sound together.

Back to your live use question:
                    If it were a big venue and FOH was running a comp, I would probably be running less SPLs and mic'ing, so one comp on the board and the second comp from the FOH.

On a small gig with a cranked amp, the valves will already be compressing, so probably a single compressor for cleans.

I really like using a compressor after modulation, phase in particular, as phase can make my tone unpredictable.
                    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 03-16-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Aha - so we are NOT talking about running a guitar into two comps serial in an effect chain. See - that was what I was thinking about.

80's - the "it" decade for using the compressor as an "effect" in pop music.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        That's a very good question.
                        Absolutely for recording, no question about it. Even if not used during tracking, there is bound to be at least 2 compressors, one for averaging peaks on the buss itself and a peak limiter ... So you are hearing at least 2 stages of compression there, maybe more.
                        Thing to remember about compression ratios is that they are counterintuitive; the higher the compression ratio, the LESS it is affecting your entire signal. A 4:1 ratio for example is looking for peaks that exceed a threshold by at least 4dB. A low compression ratio of 1.25:1 is looking for less variance and will in turn affect more of the average signal coming through.
                        So in some cases a higher ratio with a slow attack and high threshold will just kiss the peaks, whereas a lower threshold after that can tame the overall level and 'glue' the sound together.

Back to your live use question:
                        If it were a big venue and FOH was running a comp, I would probably be running less SPLs and mic'ing, so one comp on the board and the second comp from the FOH.

On a small gig with a cranked amp, the valves will already be compressing, so probably a single compressor for cleans.

I really like using a compressor after modulation, phase in particular, as phase can make my tone unpredictable.
                        thanks a lot for the explanations,quite helpful!

Comment

No problem, that was a very cursory overview of a very deep subject!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                            No problem, that was a very cursory overview of a very deep subject!
                            Indeed and I don't guess I'll ever fully understand the subject and its impacts until I'm the one working for a good recorded tone as an engineer... which is quite likely never to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Aha - so we are NOT talking about running a guitar into two comps serial in an effect chain. See - that was what I was thinking about.
                              You can definitely do two comps serial in an effect chain. Bass players do it all the time.

See my previous post for other use cases.
                              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Well, there's a difference between "running" two comp pedals in a chain and "using two comps in a pedal chain at the same time", so if a given artist does "have" two comps in their chain, they're not necessarily always on at the same time.

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post
                                I had a compressor pedal once. I had no idea how to make it work right. I still don't know how they work. I can't imagine what I would do with two!
                                Compression is generally mistaken for an effect like Phase, Flange, Chorus, etc and people twist knobs until they hear an instantly-noticeable difference between the On/Off, but it's not generally intended to be that prominent. It's best suited as a subtle effect. While you don't have to go far to find an example of where it is used in a not-so-subtle fashion, the ideal application for it is when only "those in the know" can spot it.
                                Originally posted by Brown Note
                                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                                My Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X