Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two compressors

hi guys,
    I would like to know do you guys use more then one compressor together, I see a guy on youtube using three in a row, adding more and more compression with each compressor, do you guys use compressors like this???????
    all the best, bluesfloyd,

Re: two compressors

I can't imagine needing more than one at a time unless you were looking for a very specific effect ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Maybe that was a bass

Comment

I can definitely see having multiple compressors if its really an integral part of your sound, but I would expect them to be used individually to provide multiple settings. Maybe setup a subtle one, then another with a lot of squash for a specific song. Gilmour's live board had two CS-2s on it, I think they were either/or, not combined.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

hi guys,
          thanks for your replies, very interesting what you say about Dave Gilmour's board,

all the best, bluesfloyd

Comment

Friends don't let friends use too much compression on guitar.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah….

Three DIFFERENT comps.

One for Ultra quiet mega sustain
              A Dyna comp for clucky pumping
              And maybe a general one for basic "sit--unruly-guitar-in-the-mix"

But three on at once????

Link please….
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

When tracking DI for later reamping I ALWAYS cascade 2 compressors. The first one is set for a slow attack, mild (3:1) ratio, and about 3dB of GR. The 2nd comp is more aggressive (6:1) and more GR, about 6-7dB.

There are a couple of problems to be on the watch for:
                Pumping from too much compression
                Noise floor

Otherwise, you can get fantastic results.

I can guarantee that your favorite guitar tones post 1950 have more than 2 compressors between performance and your ears!

Best to try it yourself. Don't take what you read online too seriously ... Including this post!
                Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Lot of uninformed nay-saying 'expertise' here already.

This thread will self destruct soon.

Comment

I'm not going to disagree with you. I don't record. But grew up playing in the 80's. I know my compression.

I also have a deep philosophical issue with the use of multiple attack settings simultaneously. Duncan Double Back as an example.

I just don't see the point. If you let the attack through, you let the attack through. Having a faster onset is wasted at that point. If you let the unaffected sound through, it is uncompressed.

Comment

^ This proves that you know very little about compression, how it works, and how transient shaping/design works.

Comment

I have run two compressors for quite some time. First is a modded and much warmer sounding boss with a fair amount of choke set.
                        Second is a regular Boss CS3 with the settings being higher gain, less compression and brighter in tone.
                        Sometimes there just is a place where it works well together with a telecaster.
                        The first comp on its own is mostly used with a tele or strat, the second on its own is sometimes used with a Les Paul w/P90 pickups.
                        In clean settings if I don't have time to switch between my pedal steel and gtr I will use my volume pedal and both comps to simulate my steel or to add singing tones with a tele during a ballad.
                        Overdriven with a P90 Les Paul two comps can make her sing and hang notes in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          ^ This proves that you know very little about compression, how it works, and how transient shaping/design works.
                          Essplain it Luchee.

Comment

hi guys,
                            I read the above posts with interest, I am new to this guitar world thing, no right or wrong way with pedals etc. thanks for your help so far,

all the best, bluesfloyd.

Comment

I could see using two compressors with one at the beginning of the chain and one at the end. Would it be my tonal choice, no. However I could see how it someone would be inclined to do so. It would probably give an incredibly tight focused sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X