Should I mod my Pro Co Rat Deucetone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I mod my Pro Co Rat Deucetone?

Seriously thinking about dropping the famous LM308 chip on one side of my rat deucetone. I'm not too familiar with modding pedals, so I have someone on standby for $50 (including shipping and all costs).

This thread on TGP, claims there was no difference when they dropped the LM308 chip in their deucetone:http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-307492.html

But I'm not sure if I really trust that person, there has to be some difference, its a completely different chip. Your thoughts?
    Yes!
    66.67%
    No!
    0%
    Just sell it and buy a "real" rat
    16.67%
    stfu
    16.67%

Re: Should I mod my Pro Co Rat Deucetone?

If you really want to test it out, get your tech to put in sockets and A/B the current chips versus the 308s.

I socketed mine, but didn't bother A/Bing.

Easy peasy DIY and cost me maybe $25, total.
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
      If you really want to test it out, get your tech to put in sockets and A/B the current chips versus the 308s.

I socketed mine, but didn't bother A/Bing.

Easy peasy DIY and cost me maybe $25, total.
      Did you do the reutz mod too? And which side did you do? I figure it's best to leave the clean rat side stock

Comment

Gotta love the "socket" recommendation.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
          Did you do the reutz mod too?
          I did not. Mostly because I didn't feel like drilling extra holes.

And which side did you do? I figure it's best to leave the clean rat side stock
          i socketed both and added LM308's to both.

The 2 sides are slightly different and I just left it at that.

As a complete aside, I'm listening to the NAMM 2014 vid of the ProCo FatRat and it's going to list for $299.
          Holy hell.
          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Gotta love the "socket" recommendation.
            Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
            I did not. Mostly because I didn't feel like drilling extra holes.

i socketed both and added LM308's to both.

The 2 sides are slightly different and I just left it at that.

As a complete aside, I'm listening to the NAMM 2014 vid of the ProCo FatRat and it's going to list for $299.
            Holy hell.

OR.....sell the deucetone, and purchase one of the better LM308 clones out there on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
              OR.....sell the deucetone, and purchase one of the better LM308 clones out there on the market?
              But then you'd only have 1 Rat instead of 2.

And 2 Rats is always better.
              MM

Comment

these clowns modded their deucetones few years back and reported slim to no differences:
                Should I mod my ProCo Deucetone Rat? This thing is two Rat pedals in one and has the ability to combine 4 different style Rat pedals: Vintage, Dirty, Turbo, and Clean. It does appear to have the OPO7DP chips which are supposedly crap compared to the original LM308N chips. I probably do not...

I think the problem is, as one of the people there mentioned, it the LM308 needs a different compensation cap vs the op07. We'll shall see. I'm going to do an A/B comparison. I'm leaving Channel B stock, and modding Channel A (to vintage specs hopefully). That way I'll more than 4 different kinds of rats in a box

Comment

You could just buy my Rat off of me, I'll cut you a killer deal.....

Comment

I say yay... but it depends how much would have to be done to get both sides to original RAT standards.

Comment

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
                      I say yay... but it depends how much would have to be done to get both sides to original RAT standards.
                      interesting point. my thought was, the have channel a on "original" rat standards, and leave channel b on "new" rat standards. That way I have the best of both worlds? Because the OP07 side still sounds good, then I can cascade channels into each other and all that

Comment

reporting back. modded channel a to the lm308 chip. did a brief a/b test between the 2 vintage rat modes. there is a difference, but it's slight. I'll have to experiment further, but I'm glad I left channel b stock.

Comment

further tests.....the lm308 side definitely has more bass and is a bit more muffled than the op07 side. I find myself rolling down the filter knob to levels that I previously considered too much bite. But I can hear the vintage-ness in this chip much better. It is socket-ed so I can revert back to the original chip if I should feel the urge.

The op07 side on channel b is considerably better and clearer for the highs, even on a higher filter setting. I'm personally very happy that I didn't mod both sides of the pedal, and with this setup I can have more versatility.

There's only 1 mod shop than I'm aware that will even consider further mods to this pedal, and that is the msm workshop which is located in France I believe. And for a price of $110 I could have channel a modded further. But for the price of another rat, is it really worth it? I'd say no.

Comment

Working...
                          X