banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's run a stereo rig using a DD-3 as the split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's run a stereo rig using a DD-3 as the split?

I've also got a Ibanez Bi-Mode Chorus I could try, but I'd rather have the delay at the end. Any of the supposed ground loop problems and/or other weirdness with doing this?

Re: Who's run a stereo rig using a DD-3 as the split?

I'd use the chorus as the splitter, because the chorus creates a stereo image by phase inverting the second output's chorus sound. If you use a DD-3, you'll have mono chorus. But worse, when you turn the delay on it would seem you'll get dry only on one channel and delay only on the other channel. If that's what you want then never mind, do it that way.

Regarding the ground loops, unless you're using an isolated splitter, the ground loops would be amp related, and can sometimes be avoided by using a 2-prong plug on one amp. (which can bring in it's own dangers)

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to clarify that it would be a dry/repeat deal and not a true stereo setup, I think that will be Ok though. The chorus I usually set for some real whacky raygun type sounds for feedback and harmonic noises, I'd kinda like to keep it for that use. I know, I'm wasting the stereo function, but I like it.

I was more worried about noise, because my Boogie is pretty noisy already. Both amps have ground lift switches. I'm not gonna kill myself if noise is a problem and I lift one, am I?

Comment

It depends on why you're lifting one. If they aren't buzzing when you plug them both in, then don't lift either ground. It means they're compatible. Otherwise I've lifted grounds all the time, and I can't recall ever having killed myself. Because as much as I like you, I'm pretty sure the SDUGF isn't heaven. The most obvious plausible scenario I can think of is that the grounded amp is totally reverses, so basically if you've lifted ground, then are touching your strings while touching that amp's chassis, you could get zapped. But it's all speculative. Do it at your own risk!

Also sidebar: if you use the chorus for special effects, try plugging into the inverted output instead. It puts the chorus out of phase with the dry signal and can sometimes be way more fun. Lots of hollow comb filtering, especially for fast leslie stuff.

Comment

I have experimented with using my Flashback 4 delay as a stereo splitter to two amps. I did encounter a ground loop and was able to correct it by plugging one of the two amps into one of these:

Realistically I wouldn't ever use this outside the studio, but it's cool to know that I have the ability, and that I can drive two amps this way without having to use a separate switch or pedal. I have it at the end of my pedalboard and at one time, had a stereo phaser plugges into the Flashback's stereo inputs.

The Flashback 4 does push the stereo signal even when bypassed, which is good. I don't know if the Boss pedals behave the same way or not.

sigpic

Comment

I have done this stereo to two amps with no problems.

I'm confused. What is the issue???

What is the signal path?

What are you trying to do?
            Last edited by Aceman; 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It's pretty simple Ace, just splitting dry signal from the DD-3 to one amp and the repeats to the other. When delay is off both amps are running mono signal (I think).

I just need to take another speaker cable to the space and try it.

Comment

I used to run stereo from a DD3 but a few month's back I purchased a Radial Big Shot ABY box with ground lifts and am thrilled with the results.

Comment

the DD3 dry/repeat thing always was a bit wrong for me, I guess it depends what you want.
                  I felt like it was shrinking my sound every time I engaged the pedal for regular delays, you can do the ultra short delay(like 50ms) enhanced stereo image thing.... but then if you want "delay" too you need to run an additional pedal.

Comment

Yngwie does it that way. But he's on 11 all the time. So the whole stage is pretty much filled with his sound.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                      Yngwie does it that way. But he's on 11 all the time. So the whole stage is pretty much filled with his sound.
                      Yngwie. DD3. Hear that tone snobs?
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Uh no, he uses a Korg rack unit for that kind of delay. And the old Roland echo unit for the whackadoodle noisy analog delays. I'm not saying the DD3 is a bad unit, just clarifying I didn't mean he uses it. He does use a cheapo DOD overdrive though (that is until Fender made a replacement)

Comment

Working...
                        X