banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Wheehoo . . . my Soul Food finally arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Wheehoo . . . my Soul Food finally arrived!

I almost gave up on this. I ordered it back in January sometime. She arrived today.

I've only played it with for about 30-min's, but I like it already. A couple things stand out to me. The volume and drive controls truly let you select between clean boost, and over-the-top distortion. But mostly, I love the addition of the treble control. Typically, when I'd use distortion, or fuzz, I'd turn the treble control on the guitar all the way down. A distortion pedal clips the signal. That generates it's own high-freq harmonics. So I'd keep the tone knob on the guitar down, so as not to get that "sizzle". The treble control on the Soul Food allows that to happen post-footswitch. So, you can leave your tone knob high on the guitar, to keep your nice cleans. Then, when you hit the pedal, they're turned down automatically, by virtue of your treble control setting.

Make sense? I love this thang.

I might even post some clips later.

Artie

Re: NPD: Wheehoo . . . my Soul Food finally arrived!

looking forwards to clips.

I've been fairly intrigued by the pedal, but don't really want to go to the trouble of building it myself, but I might if I get some free time and the components, etc.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

I'm glad you like it Artie. It's the best $63 pedal I've ever heard!
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah Lew; Especially since it comes with it's own power supply. A nice bonus.

Comment

Value-wise this pedal is pretty fantastic I have to say. Had mine for a couple of weeks now but limited use. I like it, can't say I love it, at least not yet. I don't think the overdrive is "over the top" but it is very useful.

(all results are with my Orange Dual Terror)
          I used it for a gig the day after I got it as a boost with some added gain for leads. I kept my Pigtronix Class A Boost on the board as well and had better results pushing the leads out front with that. Where I've found the Soul Food to be really useful so far is lower volume and lower gain settings both on its own and in conjunction with the Class A. The Soul Food has a bit of a nasally quality and even with the treble rolled off it thins the sound out a bit. The Class A fattens the signal up on a somewhat equal level and when I use them together it really cooks if I juice the drive on the Soul Food but even if I keep it tame it really sounds very good. It also seems to run nicely off the One Spot I use.

Looking to use it at rehearsal this week coming up and I’ll tweak it at volume and have a much better idea where I stand with it.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Yeah Lew; Especially since it comes with it's own power supply. A nice bonus.

Can it run on a 9V battery too ?
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
              Can it run on a 9V battery too ?
              Yes. The battery clip is inside. But, it draws around 25ma. That's a fair amount for a distortion pedal. Probably due to the bi-polar power supply chip that I mentioned in my other thread. That's also probably why they included the PS with the pedal.

Comment

I tried one of these the other and it was great like everyone has said. But any setting where the gain is at 12 o'clock or higher is horrid sounding. Is this an issue with all of these or just the one I was trying? I was playing through a Twin with a really expensive PRS with two humbuckers. (I'm sorry I don't remember which model guitar it was.)
                Hmm...

Comment

I found the drive has some very unnatural/harsh undertones to it in spots.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Nice!! I'm thinking of picking one up but this month I blew my money on an EQ I don't even use and a Mooer Funky Monkey that I sold already
                    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                      V
                      I used it for a gig the day after I got it as a boost with some added gain for leads. I kept my Pigtronix Class A Boost on the board as well and had better results pushing the leads out front with that.
                      Using it as a lead boost isn't really what this pedal is all about. It functions best as an "on all the time" pedal, rolling back the volume for a rhythm sound and rolling it up for a lead sound.

I also like using it in conjunction with other pedals. It seems to work well with a TS type in front of it. I've had some success with an OCD clone after it (haven't tried it in front of it yet).
                      Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
                        Nice!! I'm thinking of picking one up but this month I blew my money on an EQ I don't even use and a Mooer Funky Monkey that I sold already
                        You didn't dig the Funky Monkey?
                        Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                          You didn't dig the Funky Monkey?
                          No it sounded cool on its own but it changed the sound way too much. It got very muddy and too washy if that makes sense. Turning it on during a solo or lead part or even a clean part was too drastic and stood out like a sore thumb. I could not see myself using it in my bands often so I sold it. It did have some cool almost modulation sounds like a univibe though.
                          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Working...
                          X