banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple quik notes about the EH Soul Food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple quik notes about the EH Soul Food.

The first "note" will probably make me look like an idiot. So be it. Been there, done that before.

I hadn't noticed anyone mentioning it, and the pedal didn't come with an owners manual . . . so I didn't see it 'til I took the bottom cover off. There's a "buffer/true-bypass" micro switch hidden inside. Very cool. That will be, of course, the first mod. Bring the switch to the outside.

The next note, is interesting. I always like to look inside a new pedal just to see what makes it tick. There's a couple of TL072 op-amps, and a TC7660 chip. That last number rang a bell. It's a chip that generates a negative voltage so that the pedals' op-amps can run from a true +/- 9-volt bi-polar power supply. Very cool. This chip is a newer version of a chip I saw in an old Yamaha bass many years ago. The chip allowed the Yamaha to run 18-volt pickups from a single 9-volt battery. Sweet!

Anyway . . . inquiring minds want to know.

Artie

Re: Couple quik notes about the EH Soul Food.

Thanks for the technical up-date Artie !

Do you really think this is a GOOD 'poor-mans-klon' ???
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Hey SirJack; I've never heard a Klon, so I can't say. But I can say that I like the sound of this pedal. The thing is, I'm not sure that I can't dial in these same tones with carefull settings of many of my other pedals. I just need to play it with it some more. Regardless, it's a pretty good deal with the included power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Hey SirJack; I've never heard a Klon, so I can't say. But I can say that I like the sound of this pedal. The thing is, I'm not sure that I can't dial in these same tones with carefull settings of many of my other pedals. I just need to play it with it some more. Regardless, it's a pretty good deal with the included power supply.

OK, understood - thanks !
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The magic with this pedal is in it's responsiveness to picking dynamics and volume knob adjustments. I can get similar tones out of a few other pedals (not quite the same, but similar enough for most situations), but none of them really react the way the Soul Food does when I lighten up the pick attack or roll back the volume knob. It also reacts really well to different guitars. It sounds totally different with my strat than with my tele.
          Go Packers!

Comment

How would you guys compare the responsiveness of the Soul Food to an OCD?
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

How would you guys compare the responsiveness of the Soul Food to an OCD
              I have both these pedals on my board, and recorded an a/b type test. You can find it if you search for it. I found that the OCD was more "transparent" than the Soul Food. The Soul Food seems more sensitive to pick attack, and maybe more responsive to the use of the guitar's volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                I have both these pedals on my board, and recorded an a/b type test. You can find it if you search for it. I found that the OCD was more "transparent" than the Soul Food. The Soul Food seems more sensitive to pick attack, and maybe more responsive to the use of the guitar's volume control.
                I would agree with all of that. It cleans up a lot more than the OCD does when the volume knob is rolled back.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Working...
                X