• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Bill
    replied
    Re: more Mesa Boogie pedals

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    You guys need to stop thinking more bands = better. In a lot of cases it's actually the opposite. You could have 100 bands, but if they don't hit the right frequencies with the right precision you may as well have zero.

The Mesa graph is a great EQ, designed for guitar frequencies (other pedals have this pseudo-logarithmic progression that has no relationship with any instrument at all). If this pedal is anything like the one in the amps it's a very well built device, and would exceed a Taiwanese Boss or Chinese MXR in every measure of quality. Even the sliders feel better. That's what you're paying for.

It's a very powerful effect. That 750 slider in particular will dramatically change your tone with a slight nudge in either direction. Mesa knew what they were doing when they chose that frequency. Try that with your MXR ... oops, no 750 band! Oh well!

It's okay if you're not into it. And it's completely okay if they priced it out of your budget. Your first post was very trollish though, because you vigorously slammed the thing before even seeing one in front of you. Seems that the root cause of your frustration is that Mesa is too costly where you live. That sucks, and I feel for you, but making assumptions about something you've probably never even seen because of personal bias is what a troll does.
    +1

Bill

Leave a comment:

• ratherdashing
    replied

Originally posted by Mrkensei View Post
    You're right there, although it's very much brand dependant.

Ibanez and Gibson- Great Value
    PRS and Fender- hopelessly overpriced.

Dimarzio- really well priced and great distributor service
    Seymour Duncan- really bad pricing (almost double the wholesale price of Dimarzio) and a distributor that wont accept new trade accounts and doesnt even bother to answer email enquiries.

Peavey, Laney and Marshall- decent pricing
    Vox and Mesa- so overpriced it's not funny.

But regardless of location it seems a lot of money for a 5 band EQ compared to the MXR.
    You guys need to stop thinking more bands = better. In a lot of cases it's actually the opposite. You could have 100 bands, but if they don't hit the right frequencies with the right precision you may as well have zero.

The Mesa graph is a great EQ, designed for guitar frequencies (other pedals have this pseudo-logarithmic progression that has no relationship with any instrument at all). If this pedal is anything like the one in the amps it's a very well built device, and would exceed a Taiwanese Boss or Chinese MXR in every measure of quality. Even the sliders feel better. That's what you're paying for.

It's a very powerful effect. That 750 slider in particular will dramatically change your tone with a slight nudge in either direction. Mesa knew what they were doing when they chose that frequency. Try that with your MXR ... oops, no 750 band! Oh well!

It's okay if you're not into it. And it's completely okay if they priced it out of your budget. Your first post was very trollish though, because you vigorously slammed the thing before even seeing one in front of you. Seems that the root cause of your frustration is that Mesa is too costly where you live. That sucks, and I feel for you, but making assumptions about something you've probably never even seen because of personal bias is what a troll does.

Leave a comment:

• Mrkensei
    replied

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    You just identified the problem - it's not that Mesa is overpriced, you're just on the wrong side of the pond. I think that with all of the features the dirt boxes offer $300 is a pretty good price.
    You're right there, although it's very much brand dependant.

Ibanez and Gibson- Great Value
    PRS and Fender- hopelessly overpriced.

Dimarzio- really well priced and great distributor service
    Seymour Duncan- really bad pricing (almost double the wholesale price of Dimarzio) and a distributor that wont accept new trade accounts and doesnt even bother to answer email enquiries.

Peavey, Laney and Marshall- decent pricing
    Vox and Mesa- so overpriced it's not funny.

But regardless of location it seems a lot of money for a 5 band EQ compared to the MXR.

Leave a comment:

• Agileguy_101
    replied

You just identified the problem - it's not that Mesa is overpriced, you're just on the wrong side of the pond. I think that with all of the features the dirt boxes offer $300 is a pretty good price.

Leave a comment:

• gvis
    replied

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
    While I'll admit that I've never played one, the demos I've seen of the Throttle Box were pretty disappointing. The Wampler Triple Wreck on the other hand....
    I agree. Imo they've applied a nice eq option to a weak base pedal; no amount of tweaking can save it. Just my imo; others may love it's tone.

And while I like the demos I've heard of the triple wreck, it hasn't blown my mind either. Now, the empress heavy, that pedal's demos do blow my mind...it arrives at my door on Wed. It's closer to the tone and options I'm looking for, so I hope it works out in reality.

Leave a comment:

• Nacho8807
    replied

A long time ago I thought how cool it would be to have the boogie graphic EQ available on any amp, so I'm pretty pleased with the idea. I should have expected the price tag though. Nothing comes cheap from Mesa Engineering.

Leave a comment:

• El Supremo
    replied

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
    can you keep it pretty much flat with little bumps on 240 and 2200, or are the sliders keyed..?

IMO buying a mesa and cutting all those mids out is like buying a lamborghini to do burn-outs in your driveway
    The EQ on my Studio isn't keyed if that helps.
    The older Mesa stuff that featured that EQ are kinda mid heavy and smooth in the highs, so you can get away with scooping on those. I personally take it easy on the eq as I'd like to hear myself in a band situation.
    Kinda depends on setup and venue. For that reason I'd rather go for a 10-band MXR myself.

Leave a comment:

• dr. ad
    replied

can you keep it pretty much flat with little bumps on 240 and 2200, or are the sliders keyed..?

IMO buying a mesa and cutting all those mids out is like buying a lamborghini to do burn-outs in your driveway

Leave a comment:

• Mrkensei
    replied

Grossly overpriced IMO like everything produced by Mesa and no better (a little less flexible in fact) than the MXR KFK 10 band EQ that is half the price, I'll stick with that.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

I'd set it in a hill shape to fix the sound of the rectum frier.

Leave a comment:

• Mad-Max
    replied

I've been considering having an EQ pedal to have when I'm playing on a different amp other than mine (The Mark V that already has the 5-band EQ built in) or for other amps I may acquire down the road and that pedal right there just answered all of my prayers.

On that note, the demo totally blew.

Leave a comment:

• xxxplorer
    replied

I'll grab the EQ when it comes out. I like that it has pre and post volumes to work with efx loops. Genius! It looks like a tank too.

Leave a comment:

• Boogie Bill
    replied

I don't know why everyone thinks that the Mesa EQ has to be V-shaped. While that certainly works for some people, I use my 750Hz slider to boost the mids of my G&L Legacys to get a fat, singing lead tone. Adding one of the new pedals might make sense for me to further shape the Crunch channels of the Mark III, VI and V amps I have.

Should be interesting; we shall see.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    the Throttle Box actually comes out ahead as it has two channels instead of an od and boost. I've got high hopes.
    That's the one I'm most interested in. Still not sure if I'll ever seriously consider it, just based on the price tag. If I get my hands on it to try, it may go on my "when I graduate and can afford to buy stuff" list.

Leave a comment:

• Agileguy_101
    replied

You know what, I remember people having a similarly underwhelmed attitude when the Bogner Red and Blue pedals were announced due to underwhelming videos. However, those turned out awesome. These are priced the same and are not dissimilar in the amount and type of options you get - two channels, highly tweakable, very versatile - the Throttle Box actually comes out ahead as it has two channels instead of an od and boost. I've got high hopes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X