X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuitarGuy503
    replied
    Re: more Mesa Boogie pedals

While I'll admit that I've never played one, the demos I've seen of the Throttle Box were pretty disappointing. The Wampler Triple Wreck on the other hand....

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

Not a single pro touring band that I have seen use Rectos or Marks have used sh!tty scooped tones like that. not a single one.

on the other hand, i have seen entirely too many crappy local bands whose guitarists think they are satan's gift to metalkind use exactly those kind of sh!tty scooped tones. And they sound like sh!t on stage.

Leave a comment:

• Agileguy_101
    replied

Originally posted by CTN View Post
    Exactly! I know they produce good gear, but they have this dumb mindset that all metal requires scooping the hell outta the mids. Why? I have no idea.
    Maybe their market research has told them that a majority of their customers prefer that tone? That's the only reason I could imagine.

Leave a comment:

• alteredbeast
    replied

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    I'd take the Mesa 5 band over any EQ pedal on the market. They should have done this ages ago.
    can we get an amen. i do like MXR 10 jammy, and the EQ on the Mark IV, im just too much caveman to understand the technicalocity of it all.
    Last edited by alteredbeast; 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

Exactly! I know they produce good gear, but they have this dumb mindset that all metal requires scooping the hell outta the mids. Why? I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Agileguy_101
    replied

I'm quite willing to give these a shot. Mesa's reputation for putting out good products is inversely proportional to their ability to demonstrate the tone of said products.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Exactimundo! (But that's not the only reason)

Every other graph EQ pedal I've seen has dumb, arbitrarily-defined frequency bands, usually based on a simple "make the next one double" progression. Mesa specifically picked their slider values (80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600) based on frequencies an electric guitar is most likely to produce. It's a more "musical" EQ, for lack of a better word.

EQ is a very, very, very powerful effect, and it's kind of sad that nobody else seems to do this correctly. In the studio/engineering world, a lot of attention is paid to EQ. If you think the Mesa pedal is expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet.
    You have to put a lot of design work into an EQ to keep it from blowing ass. Therefore, most EQ's do.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

It sounds the way I imagine the inside of a colon would sound. ("But it's so tight…")

Leave a comment:

• alteredbeast
    replied

i am arouse.

Leave a comment:

• ratherdashing
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    Possibly the frequencies it shapes
    Exactimundo! (But that's not the only reason)

Every other graph EQ pedal I've seen has dumb, arbitrarily-defined frequency bands, usually based on a simple "make the next one double" progression. Mesa specifically picked their slider values (80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600) based on frequencies an electric guitar is most likely to produce. It's a more "musical" EQ, for lack of a better word.

EQ is a very, very, very powerful effect, and it's kind of sad that nobody else seems to do this correctly. In the studio/engineering world, a lot of attention is paid to EQ. If you think the Mesa pedal is expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
    How does this Mesa EQ differ from a MXR 6-band or Boss EQ pedal? For being so much more money, it has to do something different, right?
    Possibly the frequencies it shapes:

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by CTN View Post
    Wow. He took a scooped Recto tone and then scooped it more.

Sounds like a can of obese bees, or some pitiful attempt at a killer metal tone by a fat noob in a pantera tshirt in his mother's garage with a line6 spider half stack. I absolutely do not understand Mesa's fascination with scooped mids.

(that said, I do like Pantera, but holy crap, that clip sounded terrible)
    Ha, I started playing the video and thought ... that doesn't sound bad, actually.
    And then he turned the pedal on ... oh my.
    You are right. Horrendous.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

JESUS

$250 for the EQ pedal.
    $300 for the distortion pedal with the EQ.
    Not as interested anymore .

Leave a comment:

• speed2dirt
    replied

I'd take the Mesa 5 band over any EQ pedal on the market. They should have done this ages ago.
    How does this Mesa EQ differ from a MXR 6-band or Boss EQ pedal? For being so much more money, it has to do something different, right?

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

JESUS

$250 for the EQ pedal.
    $300 for the distortion pedal with the EQ.

FFS, it sounds like a Metal Zone with marginally better low end definition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X