Pedalboard Selection & Layout - Come on then Agile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedalboard Selection & Layout - Come on then Agile

OK, so I have a varied selection to pick from and a Pedaltrain Pro to arrange them on. Clearly some are better quality than others, however, I'm not quite as precious as some maybe about things, so don't let the more economy minded selections put you off and there is plenty of room to include a little of the more ecentric items. I've got a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus to run things, and will be looking to expand that soon enough anyway - there will be power to spare.

In terms of musical range to cover, you can look at any of the following: REM, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Audioslave, Soundgarden, Stereophonics, Queensryche, Queens of the Stone Age, Joe Satriani, Foo Fighters, AC/DC - pretty standard rock & blues rock fare really.

The available devices are as follows - there are certain pedals that get in by default though, and those are marked in bold and with an asterisk at the end of their name. Everything else though is up for grabs:

Boost:
    • Xotic Effects AC Booster
    • Electro Harmonix Soul Food

Overdrive/Distortion:
    • Boss OverDrive OD-3
    • Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive
    • Behringer Blues Overdrive BO100
    • Boss Super OverDrive SD-1
    • Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800
    • Boss Distortion DS-1
    • Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest
    • Bogner Ecstacy Blue

Fuzz:
    • Noel Cornet *
    • M&M Brit Bender (2-knob)
    • Mooer Triangle Buff
    • Devi Ever Bi-Fuzz
    • Dunlop Mini Fuzz Face (red)

Vibe:
    • Drybell Vibe Machine *
    • Behringer Ultra Vibrato UV300

Pitch Shift:
    • Boss Harmonist PS-6
    • Boss EV-5 expression pedal

Reverb:
    • Mooer Shimverb *

Phaser:
    • MXR Phase 90 *
    • Behringer Ultra Phase Shifter UP100

Chorus:
    • Electro Harmonix Small Clone
    • Boss Super Chorus CH-1 *

Wah/Filter:
    • Boss V-Wah
    • Dunlop Crybaby CGB-95
    • ModTone Funk Filter Enveloper

Compressor:
    • OKKO Coca Comp *

Flanger:
    • Boss Flanger BF-3
    • Behringer Ultra Flanger UF100
    • Mooer Eleclady

Delay:
    • Boss Giga Delay DD-20 *
    • Malekko lofi EKKO 616

Tremelo:
    • Behringer Ultra Tremelo UT100

Misc:
    • Boss Acoustic Simulator AC-2
    • TC Ditto Looper
    • Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-2 *
    • Boss FV-500H volume pedal *
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Re: Pedalboard Selection & Layout - Come on then Agile

Serious fun to be had there Chris and I wouldn't know where to start!

Comment

I've got a final now and a few assignments to finish be for the day is up. I should be back with a response within the next 10 hours or so.

You have quite the collection, Chris - this will be fun.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I thought I was out of control. Time for a GAS intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
          Serious fun to be had there Chris and I wouldn't know where to start!
          How about by throwing away all the Behringer crap?

*Full Disclosre: I actually really dig my Behringer Vintage Phaser…
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Get a second pro?

Comment

All right, here's how I'd do it:

Wah of choice (off board, I hate mounting rocker pedals on a board, they're always a PITA to operate at an angle) -> Okko comp -> Drybell -> Noel Cornet -> MJM Bender -> Fuzz Face -> Crimson Drive -> SD-1 -> DS-1 -> Black Forest -> Soul Food/AC Booster -> Bogner Blue -> Volume pedal (again, I'd recommend off board. If you're doing your own cabling you can cut the cables so that they will only be long enough to allow the pedal to be where you want it) -> Eleclady/BF-3 (your choice) -> UV-300 -> CH-1 -> Malekko LoFi -> DD-20 -> Shimverb -> Ditto -> TU-2.

There should be plenty of room for all of that without the volume/expression/wah pedals on the board. This board will be pretty much stationary, right? Off board pedals can be a bit of a PITA if you have more than one and move the board even semi frequently, but I don't imagine you will be.

As far as layout, my personal preference is to have the dirt pedals on the bottom and the modulation on top. You might find a better layout for your needs, but that just makes the most sense to me as I'm turning dirt on and off much more than I am modulation.

Did I miss anything?

I'll come back later with an explanation after I've got some sleep.
              Last edited by Agileguy_101; 03-20-2014, 12:38 AM.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Well you've certainly packed more in there than I'd have anticipated, and definitely driven the need I'd perceived for an additional Voodo Lab (probably the 4x4).

Looking through the suggested list of pedals, the only ones that I'm not too clear on the positioning of are the Drybell and the Ditto, but I'm happy to wait until you come back with some thoughts your rationale.

As to missing anything, the only one I can immediately think of is the tremelo, which I'd be inclined to switch in for the UV-300, though to be fair, the Behringers would be early candidates for replacement with better quality devices across the board (see what I did there?).

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I figure if you've got a PT-Pro and all of those pedals, you might as well use them.

I put the Ditto at the end so that you can utilize any of your effects in the loop. Using delay on a loop is IMO pretty useless but looping something like a dotted eight rhythm is tons of fun. It might be interesting to experiment with perhaps a solitary effect after the loop which you could then put over the whole track (maybe phase or flange) but that's not quite my style.

Now that I think about it you would probably be better off with a tremolo, as the pitch vibrato in the vibe machine is pretty good in a very vintage way. I'd put the trem after the chorus personally. If you find that you use tremolo enough to warrant upgrading to a nicer unit, I can highly recommend the Diamond trem.

Honestly, if you're looking into getting even two or three higher quality modulation pedals, I recommend you look into the Strymon Mobius. It's impressed me more all of the modulation pedals I've owned combined. Unless you're into stacking modulation (I've never been much of a fan) it could easily replace your phaser, flanger, tremolo, and chorus and give you a whole host of other quality effects. The rotary is one of my favorites and I think you'd enjoy it a lot for the music you play.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                    Honestly, if you're looking into getting even two or three higher quality modulation pedals, I recommend you look into the Strymon Mobius. It's impressed me more all of the modulation pedals I've owned combined. Unless you're into stacking modulation (I've never been much of a fan) it could easily replace your phaser, flanger, tremolo, and chorus and give you a whole host of other quality effects. The rotary is one of my favorites and I think you'd enjoy it a lot for the music you play.
                    The Mobius would certainly be a candidate, as is the Big Sky. I did actually get a brief run on the latter whilst I was in Austin during the music expo, but they weren't selling them there. I did look in a couple of music stores, but neither had Strymon gear in stock. That was where the Soul Food, Ecstacy & PT-Pro came from. The neat part was that the PT-Pro bag made for a really nice second suitcase for me on the way back, as there was nothing but the rack itself in there.

Comment

I've not tried the Big Sky, but I've been through and used a fair amount of Strymon devices. The Mobius is easily my favorite of them all. I've had more than a few excellent modulation pedals and the Mobius can match or beat them all. I think we buy stuff of about the same quality to price ratio, so if you were to upgrade your modulation pedals at about $175USD on average per effect, by the time you would have bought your fourth effect you'd have saved money by getting the Mobius. (It is ~$650 over there, right?) I at first felt the price of the Strymon devices was hard to justify, but when I consider I would save in not getting individual effects it was a no brainer. Plus, as I said, it sounds superb. At times I miss having the delays my Timeline replaces, but I in no way regret parting with my modulation pedals.

The exception to that would be I will always keep my Vibe Machine, though more for logistical reasons than the Univibe on the Mobius lacking. Since I run all the fuzz I do, I have to be conscious about input impedence, but I like the sound of the vibe pre-dirt more than post dirt. So I put my Drybell in front of the fuzzes, which works because it's a true bypass pedal. I know that the Mobius is supposed to be true bypass, but it would have been more hassle than it was worth to even try it in front of the fuzzes. To be honest, I never much used the vibe on the Mobius just because the Drybell sounds so good. I've never heard a digital pedal that can nail the feel of a Vibe.

You know, though, that if you get the Mobius and the Big Sky (you know you want to) that you'd end up with one of these too right?

By the way, what did you think of the Big Sky?
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Agile gave the fx order 101 answer!

Which, was pretty darn good, IMO.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          I figure if you've got a PT-Pro and all of those pedals, you might as well use them.
                          You might, might be able to get one pedal from each category on the board. However, looking at what you have I would want at least a couple of those overdrives on the board and some of that fuzz. I also run at least two if not 3 delays. Right now I am running two boards with my misc pedals in the basement for tooling around. You have a good problem to have Chris.

Comment

Well this is looking like the initial layout. There are not as many pedals on here as Jordan first suggested, but that's pretty much down to the available number of power sockets I'll have on the Voodoo Labs (I've now ordered a 4x4 to go with the '2 Plus'). I've also included the Phase 90, which seems to have escaped the list first time around. Having looked at this, the solution to the problems could well come in the form of the Mobius at some point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals_rotated.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	5776552

As for the Big Sky, well, the playing conditions weren't ideal (exhibition hall, headphones, routed through some tiny Line 6 POD thing, unfamiliar guitar and so on). That said, it does seem to have a huge range of options to it, all the ones I tried of which seemed usable. It was also noticeably quiet as a pedal. Being absolutely honest, there is more power in this things than I could ever use, and it would probably be wasted on me. When I get a better chance to try it out (likely September now), I'll give it another audition against the Blue Sky, which I suspect will probably be enough for me.

Comment

I've been spending the last few months figuring out how to pare down to only 5 pedals. This thread is exploding my mind.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X