Boutique to EHX... NPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boutique to EHX... NPD

I have been through so many Big Muff variants and boutique clones... mostly Wren and Cuff. I was never really satisfied completely so I kept selling them... I picked up a Bass Big Muff today in a trade and I love it! It is like a beefier Russian Big Muff.. tons of midrange and the tone knob is usable throughout its range...

I really like how it sounds going into my Ampegs.. sounds a little muddy at lower volumes but with the amps cranked up a bit it is perfect, not too bright but not too dull.

Anyone else rocking a EHX Big Muff still ? seems like on TGP everyone goes for the boutique counterpart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n2svt2TWYb1ra4drso2_1280.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5832626
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Re: Boutique to EHX... NPD

I just picked up a Little Big Muff. It's a lot of fun so far. I have no muff experience so I don't know how it stacks up to others, but like I said, it's a lot of fun. It's forced me to change up my playing style a little bit. You're right about the tone knob. The slightest turn has a huge effect on the tone. The range is huge. I don't know if it will ever be a main source of distortion for me, but I'm still trying to decide how it fits in to my rig.
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Yeah they are very fun pedals. I have always been a big muff fan but I also like those fuzzy ugly tones. I had a Little Big Muff too and it is a very cool pedal.
      Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
      Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I think I've got about nine Big Muffs now. I usually gravitate toward a Skreddy, but I also have a 70's "IC" Big Muff that was modded by J Evermann. I really love EHx, but man those old enclosures are HUGE.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've had well over a dozen Big Muffs since my first one but years ago I sold them all save for a green Russian version. The bass version is a lot like my green one.

If you're willing to try one more boutique version look at the Aries Fuzz from BMF. Really great take on a Muff with a very nicely voiced MID control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            I've had well over a dozen Big Muffs since my first one but years ago I sold them all save for a green Russian version. The bass version is a lot like my green one.

If you're willing to try one more boutique version look at the Aries Fuzz from BMF. Really great take on a Muff with a very nicely voiced MID control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm definitely not against trying boutique again. A MID control would be nice I admit but overall I'm happy (so far) with this Bass Big Muff... I know now that USA Big Muffs are not really my thing.. they scoop too much mids and sound too treble heavy to my ears which is a good sound when used by others but I don't really prefer it for my style.

Love the signature btw haha

Comment

The Aries held it's own and then some with my old green Russian Big Muff, great pedal and the mid control let me dial in a mid content that matched my green one but also allowed me to go deeper in a scoop more like the NYC reissue (but with a more pleasant top end!) as well as dial in a BIG mid hump if I wanted it.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Love my old USA Muff... But I use a Black Arts Toneworks Coven. It has the Black Forest overdrive and the Pharaoh in one big box and is awesome.
                Last edited by Empty Pockets; 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  The Aries held it's own and then some with my old green Russian Big Muff, great pedal and the mid control let me dial in a mid content that matched my green one but also allowed me to go deeper in a scoop more like the NYC reissue (but with a more pleasant top end!) as well as dial in a BIG mid hump if I wanted it.
                  Sounds cool!!

And to Empty Pockets, I keep hearing about the Pharaoh fuzz.... I feel like I should try it if I ever get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Love my old USA Muff... But I use a Black Arts Toneworks Coven. It has the Black Forest overdrive and the Pharaoh in one big box and is awesome.
                    Wow.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Demos can't be totally trusted, but I stumbled into this one today and it blew me away. Well ... not really. I drove to work and now I'm home, but this fuzz sounds good to me and I kinda like the fact that it doesn't have five knobs and two switches.

Last edited by Lazarus1140; 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Seems very cool... I too dislike having too much to tweak.. I find myself tweaking more than playing with those AHEM Scarab Deluxe ahem..

I like to set and forget. I'm so happy with the Bass Big Muff but I'm definitely not against trying others in the future.

Comment

I've owned a few Big Muffs over the years and sold them all except for a Green Russian. I'd really like to get my hands on a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B since I love the Green Russian for bass but would really like a dry blend.
                          Last edited by dystrust; 03-23-2014, 10:33 AM. Reason: Hookt on phonix werkt fer mi!
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have the black russian muff for my bass, and the nyc reissue on my guitar board. I had the 70's deluxe big muff, but I didn't like it too much. I also had a blackout effectors musket fuzz, which is based on the russian muff but with 3 added knobs.

I'm so tempted to purchase an ic big muff clone, but I'm thinking it will be similar to the nyc reissue I have already. The devi ever line looks good too, particularly the shoegazer pedal

Comment

I really love my BMF Aries Fuzz, awesome fun!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X