Boutique to EHX... NPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boutique to EHX... NPD

built my own then tweaked it. In an A/B with a vintage tall font green russian muff, the genuine muff's owner said "you know what? i think i prefer yours".
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Picked up an EHX Muff with Tone Wicker today at my friendly neighborhood Guitar Center.

Came home, put it in my signal chain thusly: Guitar>Dunlop Crybaby Classic>EHX BM w/ Tone Wicker>MXR Carbon Copy>TC Electronic Ditto Looper>first-gen Blues Jr. '97 Strat Plus was the weapon of choice.

You know what I like about the Big Muff? I'm glad you asked.

What I like about the Big Muff (and I like the same thing about a very different pedal, the mighty Fuzz Face) is that when you kick it on, then you ABSOLUTELY KNOW IT'S ON.

Know what I mean?

Anyway, all hail Mike Matthews, that non-boutique defeater of the Russian mafia, etc etc...

Originally posted by nedcronin
      Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
      Originally posted by metalmachine
      dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I have a Black Russian. Buddy of mine bought it, "broke" it, and it sat around for years. He mentioned it and I said I could probably fix it, so he said if I can fix it I can keep it.

Just needed to resolder the battery clip. Bam. Free pedal.
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
          Picked up an EHX Muff with Tone Wicker today at my friendly neighborhood Guitar Center.
          Me too, just awhile ago. I had received the soul food this afternoon and, well, hated it. Just not for me. So I figured I'd try the muff, since I've never had a fuzz but always wanted one, and I really like it.

However, it's fairly noisy with the sustain anywhere past around 9:00, and the bass is too much for my tastes. I do have a decimator, and that helps up to some added sustain level, but eventually too much sustain creates too much noise to get a reasonable decimator setting that doesn't sound choppy.

But when I set its sustain to 9:00 and I run the mxr custom badass over drive in front of it, set to lower gain, it tightens the bass, adds some more harmonic content, and creates a tone just different enough from the standard muff to not sound so identifable as a muff. Still fuzzy and stringy, but just not quite as much, and with the same sustain. Very happy with this setup.

That mxr OD is doing wonders in front of three of my distortion pedals; the muff, the badass distortion, and the empress heavy I just got, which is awesome, sounds great with or without the mxr OD in front, and is a keeper.

Including my visual sound jeckyl/hyde and metal muff, I think my search for overdrive and distortion variety is over...at least for a long while.

Comment

I hear ya on the noise. It's giving me pause, too. And it's kind of boomy. Not sure whether Muffs should be 'boomy ...'

Here's mine:

[IMG][/IMG]

dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Dude, that's my exact settings for all but the volume, including the switches. I guess I shoulda said 10:00 instead of 9:00 on the sustain (I was going from memory); right after 10:00 is about the point where noise starts to really increase in my setup. These were really the only useful settings for me. Deviating either brought noise, harsh treble, flabby bass, undefined distortion, etc. Maybe I'll explore changes for a one off sound here and there; otherwise it's a one trick pony for me. But I do love what it does in this one setting (with the mxr as I said).

i don't think mine sounds boomy, but it does sound big and everywhere. Maybe we're describing the same thing. I do know that for me this could never be my one tone, desert island sound.

Comment

I mean, mine is noisy even with the pedal off. I'm not talking about gain raising the noise floor.

Is that normal? I had the same the problem with a Little Big Muff that I returned a couple of years ago. I hate to return this one. The Muff is a classic pedal. I'd like to have at least one iteration hanging around.

I don't have this problem with my EHX Soul Food.

Comment

I just disassembled my board to clean it and re-organize it, so I'll check later today to see if mine makes noise when it's off. I don't recall it doing so last night. I don't think it's normal for this pedal to make noise when it's bypassed.

I have read that EHX pedals are not the most solidly built pedals; no clue of that's true. My metal muff has lasted just fine.

Comment

Here's the inside of my Big Muff. Could one of you pedal geniuses tell me if something is wrong? I mean, other than the bottom plate being off the pedal?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

plastic board mounted jacks, micro componentry, wave soldering, flimsy pcb. Apart from those things, and as long as you don't have an issue with it rolling off a production line from a huge factory in china, nothing looks wrong with it.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        plastic board mounted jacks, micro componentry, wave soldering, flimsy pcb. Apart from those things, and as long as you don't have an issue with it rolling off a production line from a huge factory in china, nothing looks wrong with it.
                        Oh, good. What a relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X