Triaxis/GMajor/Ground Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triaxis/GMajor/Ground Control

I'm having a lot of problems setting up my rig. I know some of you have used this set up, so I wonder if anyone can please help me here.

First, the GC was controlling the Tri and GMajor on the same channel. I wanted the GMajor to stay on one channel and only switch the Tri. I couldn't get this to work.

Then I did something where the GC is only controlling the GMajor and won't send anything to the Tri.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jeff5; 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM.

Re: Triaxis/GMajor/Ground Control

First of all, do you know which channels your Triaxis and G-Major are operating on? It's been a while since I've programmed a Ground Control, but I believe it has a device memory where you can specify which channels down stream devices are connected to (details on page 6 of manual here). When creating a patch you'll need to specify a program change for both devices in order guarantee that both devices will be on the intended program when changing.

After that's working you can set up instant access switches within a given Ground Control patch to change or bypass G-Major effects blocks. I'm not as familiar with the Triaxis, so I don't know what midi continuous controllers it'll respond to.
    Last edited by dystrust; 03-23-2014, 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Hi Dystrust. Yes, the Triaxis is programmed on channel 1 and the GMajor on channel 2. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
        Are both devices showing in the Device Name / Channel menu of the Ground Control? If not, enter whichever device is missing. Then edit a preset and be sure to select a program change for each device. After saving the preset, your GC should be controlling both devices.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I tracked it down to a midi-channel problem and basically user error on my part!

Comment

No problem. Every few weeks I debate whether I should build an effects rack (G-Major / GCX) to go along with my current rig or just stick with the pedal board. Glad it's working out for you.

Comment

I just want to gloat. The instant I saw the OP I thought "something's on the wrong channel." Pretty sure it's not user error though - I'm convinced there are little MIDI gremlins that twiddle important settings in the early morn before an important gig.

Comment

Lol! Yeah, totally my bonehead fault. It really is kind of a learning curve though. For years I used a very basic GP8 controlling my Triaxis set up and didn't mess much with it. This is the first time I've really gone with a board capable of so much. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't too bad at all.

I also have to gloat, got the Ground Control (not the pro, the original) for $100 and the GMajor for $125! Lol that's less than many pedals and it sounds really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                  Lol! Yeah, totally my bonehead fault. It really is kind of a learning curve though. For years I used a very basic GP8 controlling my Triaxis set up and didn't mess much with it. This is the first time I've really gone with a board capable of so much. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't too bad at all.

I also have to gloat, got the Ground Control (not the pro, the original) for $100 and the GMajor for $125! Lol that's less than many pedals and it sounds really good.
                  My bad, I assumed you had the Ground Control Pro. I haven't tried programming an original Ground Control, but the Pro is one of the easiest foot controllers I've seen. The last time I programmed one was helping a friend set up his effects rack with an original G-Major back in 2007 or 2008. I remember being really shocked at how good the delays & reverb were in the G-Major for the price of the unit, even if I wasn't impressed with its chorus or phase. I'm seriously looking at a G-Major II with the updated G-System effects - I keep telling myself that I don't need an effects rack, but I seriously HATE tap-dancing.
                  Last edited by dystrust; 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM. Reason: grammar fail.

Comment

I don't think the old one is that much different to program than the Pro. The Pro has less shared buttons which may make it a bit easier. However, I've read the manuals for both and they seem really similar.

Comment

Working...
                    X