Pedals. Hand painted or solid color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedals. Hand painted or solid color?

I'm going to be putting a few pedals up in the trading post for sale to see if I can swing a deal for a guitar. One of them I'm going to sell is a bare-etched boutique thing so I'll leave it, but the other two were painted some bland solid colors. I'm thinking of doing a hand painted design on them, but im debating on whether that would bring the price down or not. Any opinions on the matter?
    thanks guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Re: Pedals. Hand painted or solid color?

What would you pay for THIS:

vs this:

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I dont get the "art" aspect of some booteek pedal makers . I would never pay extra for that. In fact I avoid it. I stomp hard and admire tone, not how pretty they look. If I could get every pedal I want/own in a BOSS housing with true bypass, I would be a happy dood.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm getting to be more appreciative of those makers who put the work on the inside of their pedals rather than the outside. Some of what you see on the outside must be more than a little on the costly side, both time & financial. The simple approach of using a basic box and popping an appropriate vinyl graphic on the outside must be so much more cost efficient.
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Well, I don't really care–the tone is what I'm looking for. That being said, I do like some of the hand painted pedals.

Comment

I'd like to say I don't care what a pedal looks like, but that would be a lie. There's some reptilian part of my brain that gives a standing ovation to pedals with matching LED and paint colour scheme. Green pedal with green LED? Purple pedal with purple LED? Orange pedal with orange LED? **** YEAH! Screen printed vs hand painted though? Meh.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking of going for a monocolor graphical element on them, not a stupid hand-painted thing like Zvex does. One is a boost and the other is a Zenith Drive, so I was gonna do some simple tape-off arrows with some blocky technical-style lettering.

Now that I've seen your opinions on it though, I think I might just do what I wanted to do in the first place. Hammerite. I love that stuff. I'm probably going to label them with simple art deco sans serif look like the minifoogers have.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking of going for a monocolor graphical element on them, not a stupid hand-painted thing like Zvex does. One is a boost and the other is a Zenith Drive, so I was gonna do some simple tape-off arrows with some blocky technical-style lettering.

Now that I've seen your opinions on it though, I think I might just do what I wanted to do in the first place. Hammerite. I love that stuff. I'm probably going to label them with simple art deco sans serif look like the minifoogers have.
                Just match the LEDs with the colour scheme.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Don't really care what the pedal looks like as long as it doesn't look functionally and aesthetically dumb.

Comment

I treat my gear rough so I don't care about fancy paint, it gets messed up anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      I treat my gear rough so I don't care about fancy paint, it gets messed up anyway
                      that's kind of my feeling about it too, but it was worth asking.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        I go with this... Its a tool, it gets thrown in a tool box and hauled around.

At some of the scum bag places I play its probably better if it looks more like an industrial light switch case then people are less likely to go "Oooo shiney and pretty!" and steal it.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm kind of in the middle, I appreciate a nice looking pedal. That could be an Electro Harmonix screen print, a Boss pedal or even some of the cool polished and sealed metal enclosures (Bonamassa Fuzz) but a blank Hammond enclosure is a little bare for my taste. I like to be able to identify the pedal a leg's length. (8 blank/Sharpie Hammonds could get confusing) Just spray paint with a simple logo is Ok.

The coolest one I own is a hand painted purple sparkle Fuzz Factory, it's clear coated so the sparkle doesn't wear off. Definitely more of a collector piece than a stomp away piece. However, at the time there were no Vexters and this was the same price as the standard green one.

However, that's certainly not a requirement, and paying more for a hand painted pedal isn't my thing.
                          Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I dig hand painted stuff. I like my pedals to be at least a little visually appealing, and I appreciate the time that goes into stuff like that, and I'm happy to pay more for that if I can. However, I almost never bring any pedals that cost more than $100 or so to gigs with me.

Comment

if im not gonna gig with it then I don't need to own it

Comment

Working...
                              X