No announcement yet.

Anyone else have to use TWO noisegates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else have to use TWO noisegates?

[QUOTE=GregJr;3611227]I find that when I use all outs and ins on the NS2 , there is no tone suck, plus a slight boost.
    Guitar>TS9>NS2 input>NS2 send>Amp in>FX send>NS2 return>other pedals>NS2 out> FX rtur.
    Try it and see.[/QUOT

Are you talking about the x formation hook up? I've tried that before and. I didn't like the tone suck, would've been ideal though as less suppressors to use.

Comment

I have my pre gain on 5, don't stand facing or that near my cab.

I've also noticed Chris from TDWP has 2 gates in his setup. An NS2 in his FX loop. And a regular Decimator in front of his amp:

In fact, both of them have at least an NS-2 and 1 ISP decimator I think.

So the convenient option might be to get another Decimator that way one will take care the pre amp noise, and the other to tame the OD?
      Last edited by DeadandBuried; 03-25-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
        Ok, after further thought I see that the amp's gain is multiplying the noise from the OD so much that it's hard to mute without killing everything. So you want to gate both directly before and after the amp's gain.

My idea would be either

Guitar->ISP guitar in/out->NS-2 input->NS-2 send->TS9->NS-2 return->NS-2 output->amp in->loop->ISP dec in/out

Best results if you tune both gates to close at exactly the same time.

Or even better, get a decimator II and do

Guitar->G-string guitar in/out->TS9(+ any other gain boost)->Dec II->amp in->loop->g-string dec in/out

As well as an 1/8" cable from G-string link out to Dec II link in.
        What is the 1/8" cable for exactly? Is it power or to run in stereo? Do I need it as an essential? And will the ISP Decimator II come with one in the box? The G string one didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
          What is the 1/8" cable for exactly? Is it power or to run in stereo? Do I need it as an essential? And will the ISP Decimator II come with one in the box? The G string one didn't.
          It's to link them - the Decimator II will be effectively controlled by the G-string. In this case it allows both gates to be keyed off of the direct guitar sound even though the dec II is connected after the OD. You definitely want it for best results.

If the g-string didn't have the cable the dec II won't either. You can just grab something like this from wal-mart or radioshack.

Comment

Ah I see, so any normal 1/8 inch jack-to-jack? Bear in mind I'm from the UK lol so we don't have a wal-mart or radioshack lol. I don't want to get a cheap assed one as I'm not a fan of cheap cables, though this shouldn't make much difference?

Have taken the plunge and bought the ISP II, so I can compare with the NS-2 and decide which works better after the TS9. I have also emailed a local amp tech to ask about any mods on the head so I can avoid using 2 noise gates if I can. I fear this might kill my sustain and esp on my clean/crunch channel.

Been reading all sorts about the ISP not letting held out notes/chords ring out? I do pinch harmonics alot so I don't want it being cut off real quick, the first show I played with my new set up I turned up the threshold knob too high and it cut off my squealies too quick. This is cos I didn't realise it can't control the pre-amp AND the ts9 noise both at the same time!
            Last edited by DeadandBuried; 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

With the two linked ISP pedals it'll cut off exactly like it does now, it'll just control the ts9 better.

Any gate will cut off your sustain, that's how they work. It's just a matter of balancing the threshold against your current gain+compression level so that it chops off right before the noise sets in but not while you're still trying to hold the note.

I'm pretty sure quality doesn't matter for the link cable.

Comment

Hmm yeah I read you get the same performance you'd get from the rack ISP system.

Yeah that puts me off, however the guy at the amp place says they do mods to quieten down the pre-amps, so this might save me from using the Gstring in the loop. If somehow he can quieten down the TS9 then I won't need any gates at all! Haha.

Sounds like its cheaper to mod the amp than to get 2 noise gates going by his rates.

But yeah if he can't I'd just try and use the Decimator II after the TS9 in front of the amp. Less cables with the send/return stuff.

Comment

okey let start solving some problems, for the pickup squeals, the most cost efective stupid easy solution is a rubber foot and stronger springs, the rubber foot, just get some random tipe of sponge, place it tight beneath your pickups, instead the standar humbucker springs go to hardware stores and find longer thicker springs that can make the pickup to basically don't move, or get a silicone tube and use it instead of springs, all the vibrations of the p'up will be killed, the noise, first thing check all your cable, one of them may had the fault of a lot of noise, eliminate multiple ground ways, that all the pedals had their own way to ground makes a lot of noise, and finally, understand how to place and use the noise gates if the one you had have loops you can use the loop feature to kill even more noise easier, and it can be done with just one noise gate

how to use only one NG:
                  so i've read you had an isp and a boss NS-2, if one of them had 4 jacks use this one, the wire from your guitar goes to the gate guitar in, a cable from the gate loop send (out) goes to your tube screamer, the out of the screamer goes to the amp input, the Fx loop send of the amp goes to the return of the gate (loop in) and finally the out of the NG goes to the amp FX loop return.

this may be your way to go for noise killing, if after doing all what i said there is a ton of noise add the second pedal in order to silence the bigger noise source.

D'oh!! i almost forget it, adjust the noisegates parameters one by one, slowly, preferred at stage volume for the best results, had luck man

Comment

When I was running my Ice-9 ahead of my Ironheart, the noise was uncontrollable, i tried several gates, but found the vast majority of the gates placed before the amp really sucked tone.
                    As i posted earlier I switched to rack gear that seems, so far to have provided a much more transparent, less "sucky" experience, however I did try both the Ns-2 and the decimator in the loop and in front of the amp, i found them really bad for dulling my tone.
                    I tried those two, eventually selling them on, the MXR Smart Gate (which was better than the Ns-2 but slightly worse than the decimator), then setttled on the MXR Noise clamp. i found the noise clamp to be the best solution in front of the amp, of the 4 gates it sucked the least tone. However it was more or less useless in the loop however.
                    Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgûl/Sentient pickups.
                    Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
                    Epiphone Custom Alpine White
                    Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
                    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
                    PRS SE Paul Allender
                    Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Comment

The main noise I suspect will be coming from the OD pedal. The TS9. So, if I get my amp modded to quieten down the pre amp, there won't be much need for the decimator in the FX loop. Hopefully I can just use an ISP after the OD in front of the amp with little tone suck. Question is which of the 2 decimators to use the G string or 2.

An NS2 X formation is a popular one but I won't need that hopefully for the noise from the preamp

Comment

like Ive been saying, the decimator g string has two loops, one for your pedal(s) and one for your noisy guitar

it should be enough, amplifiers/preamps are not noisy

Comment

I know, some people say the g string version is crap in front of the amp though, so I have the decimator II on the way to compare. My guitar isn't the main noise source, its the Tube-screamer. Hopefully the mod work on the amp will quieten it down on the pre-amp section.

The G string can still go after my guitar signal but I'd still need a second gate before the amp after the OD pedal and I'm concerned this might kill sustain and also when I switch to the clean channel.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                            The G string can still go after my guitar signal but I'd still need a second gate before the amp after the OD pedal and I'm concerned this might kill sustain and also when I switch to the clean channel.
                            it WILL do both, all in one

loop for gstring: put ts in it. that means gstring is before and after the ts

separate gstring processing is for the guitar signal

check out the manual

Comment

Is it like the Boss NS-2 X pattern? But better tracking?

So using it as a 'loop' means guitar signal into GTR IN

GTR OUT into TS9 then where? Or does GTR go to the front of the amp?

Or is DEC IN/OUT the 'loop' of the TS9?

Comment

I have 2 ISPs but rarely use the one in front of the Amo.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X