More pedal etching!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pedal etching!

I'm starting to like this method a bit too much! This one was a quick and dirty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10150782_10100112423052104_1290408128_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	5832643
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Re: More pedal etching!

Big fan of it!
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Really looks great !
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'm sure I must have asked this before (probably of Surgeon), but what's the process for this?
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
          I'm sure I must have asked this before (probably of Surgeon), but what's the process for this?
          Tape or paint over what you want to protect then dump in acid (I use muriatic acid + peroxyde, I think Trevor does too).

Tape works really well. I also like to spray paint, wait an hour or two for the paint to get gelatinous and then scribe the design with a nail...works very well even when you can't draw to save your life (like myself):

Sorry Trev, don't mean to hijack your killer work...
          Last edited by Surgeon; 03-25-2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Basically strong hydrochloric and, with a little peroxide in it to speed the oxidation. It eats aluminum and gets very warm. You have to absolutely cover everything you don't want to dissolve. (that includes your hands, eyes, etc.)

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Ach! Probably total crap...
              Last edited by Chris of Arabia; 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM. Reason: Talking bollocks again...
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Basically the same stuff as you'd use to do a PCB then I'm guessing?
                Yes, but I keep the used stuff separate. I have some big glass jars I keep it in and reuse it until I have to neutralize it before disposal.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.

Comment

I wonder if my printmaking friends ever got into using stuff like this?

I have never attempted etching at home because I was the tech in a printmaking lab and had the distinction of having to dress up like Darth Vader and clean out the acid vats. The solution's ph is somewhere slightly lower than orange juice, but our professors made absolutely no bones about how people were blinded by the stuff. Ph gets more acidic in magnitudes, so a ph1 is what, 10x more acidic than ph2 or something. We were using 1.5-1.7 to slow-etch plates over the course of 8hr or so. Had to put of a thin layer of asphaltum and draw using a steel stylus. I haaaaated it so much and gave everyone the stink-eye when they wanted to do an etching.

Comment

It's really pretty easy. H+ concentration is based on logarithmic scale, so the 1-7 (and 7-14) range is easy to work with. I don't have a pH tester, but I'm sure it's pretty low on the scale. I just made sure to wear long sleeves, nitrile gloves, and goggles. I'm using only about 8 ounces of solution. It doesn't take much!

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                      It's really pretty easy. H+ concentration is based on logarithmic scale, so the 1-7 (and 7-14) range is easy to work with.

now that I'm interested in it and now that we have youtube in the world, I see it can be way easier than what I had to deal with. I saw one guy electro-etch a knife blade as well which took him a couple minutes, and I'm kind of liking that idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                        Sorry Trev, don't mean to hijack your killer work...
                        No problem! I like seeing your different style, and it gives me some ideas to experiment with. It's amazing how fine of lines you can get with the acid. I've been using laser toner transfer, but I really like the spray paint idea.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                          It's amazing how fine of lines you can get with the acid. I've been using laser toner transfer, but I really like the spray paint idea.
                          To get lines that fine, you have to use a weaker acid. I usually keep the fine-lined designs for batches of acid I've used once before. The process takes more time, isn't as aggressive and yields finer lines.

I've never managed to "recharge" my acid as many on the web claim to be able to (and I'm a chemist for dog's sake), I've tried a bunch of things, including buying a fishtank bubble-thingamabob to bubble air through my solution for 24hrs with no good results. You can add more h2o2 in there to replenish the H+ supply but then you dilute the acid too much and must add some more. Nowadays, I etch in batches with fresh solution, making as little as I can. Once I've used it twice max (more than that is pretty pointless), I neutralize it and mix it with cement. Once it's solid (little bricks basically), I send it to a safe "technical disposal" place.

Comment

I enjoy this thread for the cool visuals and because it makes my chemistry sense tingle.

Comment

So awesome. Loving these.

Comment

Working...
                              X