Which Big Muff Clone is for me? FUZZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Big Muff Clone is for me? FUZZ

Thinking about getting an opamp ic big muff clone. There's a lot of options, but its really hit or miss on some. I'd like one with a more versatility than the original. And for that I was thinking about the Dreamsicle. Looks pretty promising. Any suggestions?

Re: Which Big Muff Clone is for me? FUZZ

I have an Earthquaker Devices Hoof and a Blackout Effectors Musket. Both based on the Russian green muff, but more versatile with the tone control.
    The Musket also has a built in clean boost, so you can really tighten up the sound and get into distortion territory if desired.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
      I have an Earthquaker Devices Hoof and a Blackout Effectors Musket. Both based on the Russian green muff, but more versatile with the tone control.
      The Musket also has a built in clean boost, so you can really tighten up the sound and get into distortion territory if desired.
      yes I had the musket fuzz briefly. I didn't like that one too much, tho its versatility is quite amazing. I still recommend it to anyone else.

Comment

What do you not like about the transistorized versions of the muff?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I had the Dreamsicle for a while and it was really really cool. I would recommend it highly. I only sold it because my Tri/Ram muff has a mid control which makes it much easier to tune the amount of cut you have in a band mix. They don't really sound similar though, and I would have loved to keep it for those times when I want that tone.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            What do you not like about the transistorized versions of the muff?
            It's not that I don't like, I just want some more tone shaping and maybe different flavors, if you know what I mean

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            I had the Dreamsicle for a while and it was really really cool. I would recommend it highly. I only sold it because my Tri/Ram muff has a mid control which makes it much easier to tune the amount of cut you have in a band mix. They don't really sound similar though, and I would have loved to keep it for those times when I want that tone.
            its a bit expensive tho, $170. what do you think is a fair price for one used? It's hard to even find one used it seems like

Comment

The madebymike clone is pretty popular. And he offers free customization (led light, enclosure). Roughly the same price as the dreamiscle

Comment

Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz looks pretty cool too. Choice between ge /si or no diodes, tone control and headroom control.

Last edited by El Supremo; 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS PHARAOH . . . .full stop

I have one - and i love that pedal . . . so much more than just a Big Muff !

You can NOT go wrong with this multi-talented box !
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                    It's not that I don't like, I just want some more tone shaping and maybe different flavors, if you know what I mean
                    In that case, my favourite muffish pedal is Frantone's 'The Sweet'. It's got HUGE amounts of gain but sounds great on lower settings too, Germanium transistors effing rock, the tone control is usable through the whole sweep with a ton of range, it's super touch sensitive, and is really well built. Expensive though.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do a lot of these high gain muffs have a loud "POP" when engaged? If so, how do you work around that in the studio?
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I'm currently using a BMF Aries Fuzz, which I believe is based on a Violet Ram's Head Muff circuit and it has an additional mids control and it's a fantastic pedal. I've been mostly playing my McCarty with WLH set into it and it's great fun. It also works well with my Surfer-loaded G&L Legacy for some 'Gilmour' moments.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

yep the pharaoh is pretty rad. Its not based on the opamp version tho.
                          There is also the option of building your own clone. Both general guitar gadgets and mammoth electronics offer an opamp muff clone kit.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have been playing with the MOOG MF Drive lately. It has two gain stages and a ton of eq and tonal options for a little box. It covers everything from gritty to creamy fairly well. The filter knob can be switched to a notch filter for that Zappa/Brian May cocked wah tone. The nice thing is the Minifoogers are priced competitively, you are not paying MoogerFooger money for the box.

Last edited by Securb; 03-26-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

The Pharaoh is a good pedal, but that's not what I'm looking for exactly. I'm thinking the dreamsicle might be the best option, it has a tone bypass to restore the mids as well

Comment

Working...
                              X