Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Ibanez TS9 and 6505+

Hey everyone, had a quick question.

Why do many people use tube screamer od pedals with high gain tube amps?

I have a ts9 which I've used as an actual od. However I've recently purchased a 6505+ and now I'm a little curious about some other uses for my ts9. I've heard it's commonly used for a boost but I can't seem to figure it out.
    "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Re: Question about Ibanez TS9 and 6505+

Hi there . . .

. . . i believe that an OD, like an 808/TS-9 adds that extra mid-punch, and tighten up the low end and over all response of the amp, making it a tighter sounding unit.

For that very reason, i do not like to use an OD (especially a Tube Screamer variant) with my 5150.

I prefer something like a Cornell TM-Boost for solo's.
    To my ears, the 5150 is tight enough, and i like the natural response of the amp - so i do not want to mess with it - especially the loose'ish low end !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

That's sorta what I was thinking. So it's basically an easy mid boost? I could see that being useful.
      "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

YUP, that's how i see it !

Mid Boost and an easy way to tighten the tone/response/feel of the amp !
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Well thanks. Seems pretty straightforward. I'll probably screw around with it though I don't see myself making it the staple it is for some.

Comment

Many metalcore and heavier style users use this setup, I have the exact same amp and tubescreamer pedal, and it works like a dream.

If you set up the 6505+ with less gain and get the extra from the pedal it will push the amp harder, tighten things up, and give it that extra punch in the mid-range. Its a common setup and I've always used it.

Make sure you put the drive on zero and the level can be where you like it, be careful you don't put too much on it so it starts feeding back, I've had this several times so I've got a noisegate to tame it a bit. Once you've got it set up though it sounds great!

Comment

No matter how much gain an amp has, there is a certain quality a TS9, or any OD, adds to it. It's just a different sound. A bit more mids, but crisper, tighter, more articulate, etc. It is very cool, but not everyone likes the sound.

Comment

EMG 81/85 -> TS9/TS808/OD808/OD9 -> 5150/5150II/6505/6505+ = Early to mid 2000s metalcore tone.

That rig kicks ass for that kind of sound. Drive on zero, volume to unity or slightly above and eq to taste. I've seen some people use some of the pedal gain but I think sounds awful.

For any other situation, I think the Tube Screamer is the worst option for an always on pedal. I much prefer the Marshall Bluesbreaker MKI and similar pedals.

Comment

I guess i'm of a different mind set in that if I spend 2k or more on a head I expect it to sound the way I want without any pedals stock. I know many guys love to goose the front end with the tube screamer but I can't jive with it. If I want tighter low end I cut the bass or use different speakers or pickups but thats just me I guess.

Also I'm one who likes the 5150 straight up no noise gate, no pedals just guitar to amp but I don't max out the gain either.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

It never occurred to me to have the gain on zero on my ts. I messed with it a bunch today and I really do like the mid boost. Very much to my liking. Thanks for the clarification. Also, I'm using it with EMG 81 and 89 mostly, so yeah, early 2000s metal is currently what my neighbors are hearing

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                      No matter how much gain an amp has, there is a certain quality a TS9, or any OD, adds to it. It's just a different sound. A bit more mids, but crisper, tighter, more articulate, etc. It is very cool, but not everyone likes the sound.

So True . . . and i am one of them !

I prefer my 5150 tones withOUT a drive pedal, about 90% of the time !

Something like a Divided By 13 DynaRanger however, sounds really GOOD, into a hot 5150 (...to my ears atleast !)

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                        I guess i'm of a different mind set in that if I spend 2k or more on a head I expect it to sound the way I want without any pedals stock. I know many guys love to goose the front end with the tube screamer but I can't jive with it. If I want tighter low end I cut the bass or use different speakers or pickups but thats just me I guess.

Also I'm one who likes the 5150 straight up no noise gate, no pedals just guitar to amp but I don't max out the gain either.

Looks like we like the same kinda tone from our hi-gain amps !

Comment

Originally posted by jimzucco View Post
                          It never occurred to me to have the gain on zero on my ts. I messed with it a bunch today and I really do like the mid boost. Very much to my liking. Thanks for the clarification. Also, I'm using it with EMG 81 and 89 mostly, so yeah, early 2000s metal is currently what my neighbors are hearing
                          Yeah before I had the mistake of putting the drive up too high!

But once you get it in the right spot it sounds great!

Comment

I typically use an OD pedal with just about any amp that I try. Even with amps that have more gain than you'll ever need like the 5150/6505. The trick is to use about half the gain on the amp that you typically would, and then take the OD and crank the output, have the drive on 0 or 1, depending on how much you think you need, and then adjust the tone knob to taste, and you're golden!

It just adds some midrange to it, add some nice sizzle on the top, but not too much, and tightens up the low end. Really works for any type of music that requires an articulate tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jimzucco View Post
                              Why do many people use tube screamer od pedals with high gain tube amps?
                              More cut, more articulation, more tightness, more saturation. Any combination of these really.

Comment

Working...
                              X