X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aleclee
    replied
    Re: Name 10 MUST have pedals

Since turning to the digital side, I don't actually use pedals anymore. Even so, I did hold on to a few keepers just in case.
    • Hermida Zendrive
    • Menatone Workingman's Blue
    • Sniper Modded Boss GE-7

i've owned a buttload of pedals over the years but those were the only ones that really stood out for me. Of those, the EQ is probably the only thing that might have anything resembling universal appeal.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
    Xotic EP Booster. Yeah, you can put 9 other pedals behind it, but that's the one to have if you're only having one.
    I tend to agree with this ... A character boost/foundation pedal is the key to elevating the generic to something unique.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Vegetable
    replied

Xotic EP Booster. Yeah, you can put 9 other pedals behind it, but that's the one to have if you're only having one.

Leave a comment:

• Tor
    replied

Neunaber Wet reverb
    Boss DD-20
    Sonic Resarch Turbo Tuner
    Timmy
    Fetto Himmelstrutz Standard
    Catalinbread Semaphore tremolo
    Strymon Timeline
    Wampler Ego compressor

I have an Eventide H9 and a Keeley Katana finding their ways to my board, and I hope these will be the #9 and #10 on the list.

Leave a comment:

• crusty philtrum
    replied

I think most guitarists all use a red, yellow or orange one, although many prefer green. Blue, pink and purple ones are optional.

I use a yellow one, and sometimes an orange one. I don't have enough feet to use more than two.

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied

Fuzz face
    Dunlop Wah
    TU2
    Keeley Comp
    MXR Dist +
    BOSS SD1
    MXR Phaser
    Ibanez Flanger
    BOSS Dimension
    BOSS DD3

Leave a comment:

• jon the art guy
    replied

I agree with the M5 comment earlier. My POD HD has the M effects on it and they're really nice sounding and deeply editable. If I get a short board, its all controllable at my feet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• hydro
    replied

A tuner
    :-p

Leave a comment:

• Agileguy_101
    replied

In my mind, there is only one essential pedal: the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. For $130, it's really a no brainer. It is absolutely $30-40 better than the competition.

The stuff beyond that depends on a quite a few things: are you doing original music or covers? Are you or are you not a minimalist or a person who doesn't like pedals with more than three or four knobs? And perhaps the most constraining option: what's your budget?

Here were my essentials when I was playing original music:

Big Muff
    Fuzz Face
    Mid to high gain Marshall in a box
    Solo boost
    Univibe clone
    Phaser
    Analog Delay
    Tape Delay
    Reverb

Now that I'm in a cover band, my needs have changed a bit:

Fuzz Face
    Tone Bender
    Centaur Klone
    MIAB pedal
    Solo boost
    Univibe Clone
    Phaser
    Flanger
    Chorus
    Tremolo
    Hammond emulation
    Analog Delay
    Tape Delay
    Digital Delay
    Reverse Delay
    Wah
    Reverb

So narrowing that all down into one set of ten pedals is pretty difficult. Here's my approach:

Turbo Tuner
    Analogman Sunface Ge
    Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe
    Rawkworks Light OD
    Weehbo JMP
    Timmy
    Drybell Vibe Machine
    Strymon Mobius
    Strymon Timeline
    Strymon BlueSky or Hardwire Supernatural, haven't decided yet
    Fulltone Clyde Deluxe

Hmm, that's eleven... I guess I could do without the Rawkworks. I use it mainly as a gain boost for the JMP Drive but the JMP is dynamic enough that I can just set the gain up higher on the pedal and roll back the guitar volume for cleans.

I truly believe that each of these pedals are the best in their individual classes. This setup will keep most anybody happy, especially with a midi controller for the Timeline to have instant looping control.

Honorable mention for Voodoo Labs stuff - powering all of this would be a nightmare without their pedal power series.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    its your chops that show if you are solid or not. You cant buy those.
    Jimmy Page has more pedals that the downtown LA Guitar Center. Are you saying hs chop are not solid?

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

its your chops that show if you are solid or not. You cant buy those.

Leave a comment:

• everdrone
    replied

a good dirt box, but not totally necessary, the amp may be all that is needed

a noisegate if tons of distortion

a wah pedal if into heavy rock

some type of delay or reverb

thats it!

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

MXR Distortion +
    MXR Carbon Copy
    Eventide H9
    MOOG MF-108M Flange/Chorus
    Systech Harmonic Energizer (or a clone)
    BOSS DD6 (Love the Warp)
    Ventilator

At this point I am just naming my board and it is stompbox masterbation, but those are all great stomps.

Leave a comment:

• thespricket
    replied

I'll see how many I can do. I sell a lot of pedals at GC so I have a good sense of meat and potatoes pedals, regardless of what I may own on my board.

DD3
    Phase 90
    Big Muff
    OCD
    Box of Rock
    Boss SD1
    Crybaby Classic
    Carbon Copy
    Ehx Holy Grail verb

Not exactly all pedals that I use, but all of these are super solid and trustworthy. I sell a lot of these and out and about you frequently see these pedals on club or stadium stages.

I will plug the Line 6 M5 for this application. I don't understand why more people don't have them. It's the size of two small pedals and it gives you access to pretty much any delay or modulation effect you could want, not to mention a ton of other filters and verbs. Ditch your tuner pedal and there's half the space you'll need, the tuner works great! It's true bypass and has stereo outs. And for only $130 or so it's worth owning for just the tuner and delays. Funny thing is it only functions as one effect at a time BUT in conjunction with a already functional and varied pedalboard that's often all I need. Ocaisonal whacked out delay or verb, chorus, synth, filter, octaver, harmonizer, tremolo. Those are mostly effects that can stand alone. That's a must have pedal to me.

Guitar->pedals->amp

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Analog Phase
    Echo
    Goose

Optional:
    Wah
    Volume
    Analog chorus